Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Pump Problem

Options
  • 08-04-2008 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭

Hi lads,

We're having a bit of a problem with a water pump.

We had the attic converted recently and a 'Watermill' pump was fitted in the hot press to supply the (non gravity fed) en suite in the attic.

It seems to have been working fine for the past couple of months but this evening it has begun to come on in regular spurts even though the attic en suite is not in use. It comes on for 3 seconds every 50 seconds and has been doing so for 3 hours now.

I've checked that there are no taps, shower or toilet running. The ballcock in the cistern seems fine and there is no evidence of any leaks (so far! :eek:).

I've left the taps running for a while to see if that makes a difference but no joy. There is no sign of an on/off switch either. I thought that if I turned it off for a while, it may sort it out.

The pump is quite noisy, especially in the dead of night, so I'm not looking forward to going to bed.

Any ideas?

Many thanks. :)

Pump2.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 c class 226

I'm not familiar with that type of pump but I presume there is some form of pressure switch on it. It may be faulty - that could cause it to switch on and off. Pump has to have a circuit breaker controlling the circuit. If there is nothing else on the circuit just trip the breaker - at least you'll get a nights sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Pump has to have a circuit breaker controlling the circuit. If there is nothing else on the circuit just trip the breaker - at least you'll get a nights sleep.
    Thanks c class 226.

Will that be in the fuse board? Is a circuit breaker what some call a 'trip switch'?

I've just tripped the breaker!

Ah - silence is golden! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

In the absence of a leak/seep somewhere the pump is cycling because there is a loss of pressure in one or other of the pressure vessels which are designed to take up the slack if there is a slight drop in pressure.
    this is from the manual: may be air in system

Pump won’t turn off
    1. Is shower mixer valve fully off?
    2. Is air entrapped in the shower system?
    3. Is flow switch locked in the up (on) position with dirt or some other foreign matter?
    Unstable water temperature/noisy pump?
    A common cause of poor shower performance and control is air entering the pump, most
    commonly from the hot water cylinder.
    Air will cause erratic operation of the pump, noise and unstable shower water
    temperature.
    To reduce the effects of air in the hot water supply:
    1. Reduce hot water temperature to 60°C.
    2. Ensure adequate feed to the pump. There should be at least a 2 metre lead (measured
    from cold storage water level to input of pump) and all pump supply pipes should be fitted
    with 22mm gate valves.
    3. Fit Surrey flange to ensure good air separation at hot water cylinder.
    4. The hot water supply pipes should not have any high sections allowing air traps. If
    necessary re-plumb hot water supply pipe, keeping as direct and short as possible.
    5. If it is not possible to control the temperature of the hot water a thermostatic blend
    valve should be installed. The hot water feed from the cylinder to the pump is disconnected.
    The blend valve is connected to both the hot water and cold water supply with the output
    connected as the hot water feed to the pump. The thermostatic blend valve can then be
    adjusted to ensure the correct 60°C temperature.

Am not surprised it is noisy, sitting on a tiled floor with no rubber pad as support
    Sleep well

ircoha wrote: »
    In the absence of a leak/seep somewhere the pump is cycling because there is a loss of pressure in one or other of the pressure vessels which are designed to take up the slack if there is a slight drop in pressure.
    this is from the manual: may be air in system

Pump won’t turn off
    1. Is shower mixer valve fully off?
    2. Is air entrapped in the shower system?
    3. Is flow switch locked in the up (on) position with dirt or some other foreign matter?
    Unstable water temperature/noisy pump?
    A common cause of poor shower performance and control is air entering the pump, most
    commonly from the hot water cylinder.
    Air will cause erratic operation of the pump, noise and unstable shower water
    temperature.
    To reduce the effects of air in the hot water supply:
    1. Reduce hot water temperature to 60°C.
    2. Ensure adequate feed to the pump. There should be at least a 2 metre lead (measured
    from cold storage water level to input of pump) and all pump supply pipes should be fitted
    with 22mm gate valves.
    3. Fit Surrey flange to ensure good air separation at hot water cylinder.
    4. The hot water supply pipes should not have any high sections allowing air traps. If
    necessary re-plumb hot water supply pipe, keeping as direct and short as possible.
    5. If it is not possible to control the temperature of the hot water a thermostatic blend
    valve should be installed. The hot water feed from the cylinder to the pump is disconnected.
    The blend valve is connected to both the hot water and cold water supply with the output
    connected as the hot water feed to the pump. The thermostatic blend valve can then be
    adjusted to ensure the correct 60°C temperature.
    Thanks for that comprehensive post ircoha! I'll go through it tomorrow (although it sounds very 'technical'!). :)

irocha wrote:
    Am not surprised it is noisy, sitting on a tiled floor with no rubber pad as support
    It's actually a painted chipboard floor (although it does look like tiles) . I'll put a rubber mat under it anyway.

• Advertisement

The problem was the pump itself. Builder is replacing it tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

I've got that problem sorted (meant to post last week).

The pump company sent around a representative who had the problem detected in a couple of minutes. Debris or something like that in a valve.

Working perfectly since then. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 paulb

How old is the pump? I have the same pump and encounter the same problem intermittantly but luckily not for a while. However a few weeks back the pump just stopped working - could I ask where or which pump reps did you get to look at it - I suspect it's a small problem and replacements ar very pricey?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭banchang

I have one of these pumps & have not found them to be reliable.

Any warranty claim is challenged, & every possible outside force which might possibly have caused the pump to fail is blamed. Not a good experience.

Make sure you have independent professional advice if there is a breakdown & the warranty is not being honoured for any reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Midge78

Hi,

I have the same problem now. Where did you get a number for the Watermill Representative?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭banchang

Midge78 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have the same problem now. Where did you get a number for the Watermill Representative?

Is yours in warranty ? If not I wouldn't bother going back to Watermill - get quotes for a new one. To replace a Watermill they quote about Eur7-800, whereas my Polish plumber tells me that a similar domestic pumpo should be about 4-500 installed max.

pm me with your reply & I'll give the number

• Registered Users Posts: 15 BenaTRON

banchang wrote: »
    Is yours in warranty ? If not I wouldn't bother going back to Watermill - get quotes for a new one. To replace a Watermill they quote about Eur7-800, whereas my Polish plumber tells me that a similar domestic pumpo should be about 4-500 installed max.

pm me with your reply & I'll give the number

I'm actually having a similar problem with the pump cutting out, its a Watermill ANHPC60DLV - plumber came around this morning and says I need a new one - €800! Any chance I could get the number for the Watermill Rep who helped you out?

Thanks

Advertisement