Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WSOP Main Event Final Table 'Rumours'

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 crip17

This is just beyond ludicrius. As someone said on 2+2 and i quote
    'This is not poker business, its just show business'. 90 days is just not comprehensible, especially for the non-us players. But even the whole thing is just a corrupt idea and will inevitably lead to bribes not just involving friends/family members and intense coaching/profiling for 3 months of the other players. REMBMER PLAY THE PLAYER NOT THE CARDS. Well now they have got 3 months to do such profiling. If this where a month earlier id really think its an April fool. Maybe its May fools day.

As i said earilier this wont happpen and if it does, shame on Negrenau et al. and Harrahs obv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭The Al Lad

Probably the most insanely ridiculous thing in the world...

Maybe JP will have his Masters final table in October ??? RIDICULOUS CARRY ON

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Dont think its that bad an idea actually... I think 90 days is far too long but about 30 days would be good enough to build up a profile on each player and make watching 9 relatively unknown players at the FT at least watchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭pgodkin

Wheather its a good idea or not, only time will tell, but what about the money?

When reading this thread & a few others someone said that when they get 9 handed, down to the final table and stop play for three months, they'll be auto paid 9th place money, which based on last years figures was $525,934 by 9 = $4,733,406. no prob with that really, but what about the rest of the money, the total on the line in 2007 was $22,019,901 take the 4.7mill away and your left with $17,286,495. i mean, whats 90 days interest on that alone?

who's going to keep that, where is the money going to be kept are they going to just lock it in a safe for the 90 days?

i dont think it will worry me too much can't see me at a final table of WSOP for a while yet!!

Philip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭strewelpeter

WSOP main event has been an event run purely for TV for some time now as such this is a natural progression for it. From both ESPN and the casual viewers POV this is a big winner and it is unlikely to be anything other than a money spinner for the 9 players. I wouldn't be surprised if you find that they play three or four hour sessions over a couple of days during peak viewing time.
    With a new administration coming soon a big TV event is just what is needed to get all the Americans plankton back playing online.

Obv 3 months is ridonkulous, but the fact is that the players here just are the extras who just happen to be financing the whole thing for ESPN :confused:

LOL at bosses and problems getting time off to play it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭strewelpeter

pgodkin wrote: »
    and your left with $17,286,495. i mean, whats 90 days interest on that alone...
    Probably less than $75K with the latest cut in US interest rates, and the bank you stick it in will probably be el Busto by the time you come back after 90 days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

I didn't think this was on for this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭HighFinance

LOL at bosses and problems getting time off to play it.

I agree that'll be the least of a players worries but what of Euro/Asia/Latin players who make the final table? What, if any, are the visa implications of returning to the US to play in such a visible event?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

Benny Binion must be spinning (dice) in his grave

farcical, I thought this was a joke until I clicked a few links

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Daithio

I fail to see who loses out here really. Because it's definitely not the players. This format gives them much more scope to market themselves and make possibly multiples of whatever prize money they end up getting. If you're still in with a chance at 1st prize you've got alot more to offer from a marketing perspective than if you get busted in 9th or whatever.

And it clearly makes it much better for the viewers.

I still think ESPN are evil though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

RoundTower wrote: »
    wouldn't this make even more sense if you were the smallest stack?

sorry yeh, or any stack at the table really....anyone know a hitman, just in case, as to be willing to travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

Ollieboy wrote: »
    sorry yeh, or any stack at the table really....anyone know a hitman, just in case, as to be willing to travel.

two local lads for you ollie:

IN%20BRUGES.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

Ollieboy wrote: »

If you do this Olly I expect a real backlash from the browbeaters on this forum. How you can advocate killing your opponents is beyond me. It's a form of cheating imo. Also a word of advice before R4AD beats me to it. Do not put the homicides up on your blog, next thing you know an email here , an email there , and you find yourself stuck in folsom prison and you can't be free......Such hypocrisy :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭nicnicnic

I like It overall, as with any form of change there will be negatives and loads of people picking holes but I think it could be great for anyone lucky enough to get in that position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

I don't really see why people are so bothered by the change
    It's only a donkament, who cares what they do with it as long as it's the same for everyone.
    If it means better ratings and more people taking up the game then it's all good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

so if gary gets to the final table, and gets coaching from a few people in someone else house before the final table, and someone email's the WSOP to ask them hypothetically if coaching and playing numerous other games before the final table is against the t&c's of the wsop will everest give all 8000+ players their buy in back!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

I don't understand why all the fuss,i couldn't give a dickie tbh and if by some miracle i made the final table then happy days i've 3 month to enjoy/milk it.

Why is everyone so bothered?

ditpoker wrote: »
    so if gary gets to the final table, and gets coaching from a few people in someone else house before the final table, and someone email's the WSOP to ask them hypothetically if coaching and playing numerous other games before the final table is against the t&c's of the wsop will everest give all 8000+ players their buy in back!?

No beacause that is entirely different from what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭smoothcall

Is this happening this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭hotspur

How dare they separate the lottery from the crapshoot by several months. It will produce several disappointed donks who lucksacked their way to the final table with little ability and then spent 3 months learning how to play properlyy only to realise that it didn't matter and they still lost all in with AK v 99 preflop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭Lazare

jimmii wrote: »
    QFT.

Its all well and good for those living in Vegas having it delayed a few months but for people travelling from Australia or Europe etc it is far from convenient, especially for the non-proffesional players who may have bosses who aren't so happy to give all this time off for a poker tournament

This is a joke right?

"sorry lads, you'll just have to blind me out, the boss won't give me the few days off" LOL

Hmmmn to take day off work or skip chance of winning 10 million. Decisions decisions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Spiritus

YULETIRED wrote: »
    ... How you can advocate killing your opponents is beyond me. It's a form of cheating imo... :mad:

Brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭carrigeen

Most say I think this is a great idea, Just say an Irish lad (or anyone ) gets to the final table they will have months to get sponsorship deals etc.

Also just think if this was in the year Andy got to the final table , imagine the positive press the game would have got an Irishman going to play the biggest sporting prizepool as chip leader , would have been great imho

I have played the last three years and rarely have anything good to say but this is very good so fo ronce well done

p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭carrigeen

Most say I think this is a great idea, Just say an Irish lad (or anyone ) gets to the final table they will have months to get sponsorship deals etc.

Also just think if this was in the year Andy got to the final table , imagine the positive press the game would have got an Irishman going to play the biggest sporting prizepool as chip leader , would have been great imho

I have played the last three years and rarely have anything good to say about the organisation of the wsop but this is very good so for once well done

p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It has it good and bad points.
    But overall the monetary value of this to those who make it to the final table makes it great for the tournament.
    If the first year tv audience is huge, then you are going to have sponsorship coming from outside poker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭califano

Im not sure yet if its a good idea or not.

Now lets decide who the main presenter of the final table should be?.
    I nominate John O Hurley. (Inset John O Hurley interviewing the '08 winner who shunned all the sponsorship he could have got in the mean time because god asked him not to sell out.)
    john-o-hurley.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

This has been confirmed for this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 jayhawk

Interesting there appears to be universal agreement here that sponsorship deals and media celebrity and loss of privacy are good things, and the personal income potential would be worth the intrusion and the implied responsibilities, not to mention the fashion statement as a human billboard.

Harrah’s was obviously correct to presume this would be the case and has never bothered to justify its not contributing one additional dollar to the prize pool, as supplementary income from the event continues to increase via rights and sponsorships.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

anyone less likely to enter because of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭FungiWalsh

For those of you who are questioning where interest earned on the money will go, the following Pokernews.com article said this:
    Additionally, the prize pool will be slightly pumped up for the final-table finishers. All remaining prize money will be placed in an interest-bearing account during the 16-week hiatus and that excess will be added to the prize pool.

http://www.pokernews.com/news/2008/05/harrahs-announces-major-changes-2008-wsop.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Paul Spillane

Daithio

I fail to see who loses out here really. Because it's definitely not the players. This format gives them much more scope to market themselves and make possibly multiples of whatever prize money they end up getting. If you're still in with a chance at 1st prize you've got alot more to offer from a marketing perspective than if you get busted in 9th or whatever.

And it clearly makes it much better for the viewers.

I still think ESPN are evil though.
    :D

Agree with all the above and would like to add its good for the poker industry, whatever your position in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

Agree with all the above and would like to add its good for the poker industry, whatever your position in it.
    Would boyles be likley hypothetically to sponsor an irish pro?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Paul Spillane

We would love to sign any player who made a WSOP f/t, pro or not; Irish or not. Lets hope Marty Smyth can do the biz for us :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭doke

I haven't made up my mind yet whether it's a good idea or not. As a matter of principle though, I think I'd resist the temptation to turn myself into a human billboard. I'd prefer to retain a bit of class. So, no logos bigger than a square foot, and a maximum of 200 sponsors.

There'd be a real incentive to put on weight. We could end up with 10 Jabba the Huts festooned in more logos than a Formula 1 car.

In essence, it will make the final table bubble the bubble to beat all bubbles. It'd be worth clinging on with a fraction of a big blind.

I can just see Willie Yuletired on Tubridy now (and it's not a pretty mental picture!)

"So, Willie, what are your chances?"
    "Well Ryan, if you're not in you can't win, and I'll be giving it my best shot for Ireland"
    "OK, well, we have another Irish poker player, Doke, in the audience. What do you think of his chances?"
    "He's ****ed"
    "But surely..."
    "Look, Ryan, let's call a spade a spade. He clung on, he's got one chip, and the only reason he has that is you can't be chip raced out of a tournament. He'll be all in on his fractional ante first hand"
    "Excuse me Ryan, Doke is just jealous because I knocked him out"
    "****ING DONKEY! I HAVEN'T PLAYED A HAND IN 17 LEVELS AND YOU CALL MY ALL IN FOR 98% OF YOUR STACK WITH 52 OFF".
    "Ah yes, such fond memories".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

for yer mental image to come through I better leanr how to play...

I've been on Turbidy already. He bored me., the questions were stoopid.....

It would probably go more like this.

Well Ryan you weasal how are things?

Good, I see you made the final table of the world series.

stfu you weasel, I won't respond to your provacation.

but but, I merely...........

why don't you eat a big dinner or something, yer bleedin ribs are sticking out..

DOke (from the audience) There is nothing wrong with being slender...

ME: keep running doke, keep running forrest.

Doke : I won't be insulted without response, you ovewieght child of unmarried parents..

ME : you just can't say b'stard can you choir boy...

ME, I'm outahere.....

Advertisement