Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

full time work/single parent/childcare advice re: costs

Options
  • 08-04-2008 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

I have started to apply for full time work recently, I live in the country at the moment and plan to move to Dublin, I have a ten year old child and wil be looking for childcare of some sort for when I begin working. However, there is always one, I am not sure of how much it costs for childcare, during sept to June he is school most of the time, so would be looking for part time care, has anyone this experience, how much do they pay to a childminder, what do they do in the summer time, okay I would get 3-4 weeks a year so other than that I need to pay someone? Is afterschool care very expensive. I have googled this and there is no mention of cost and this is vital for me, I have a certain budget and cannot go over it, so any tips are very welcome. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

mcginty in the country you will find childcare in centres or creches slighty cheaper than the city. afterschool is usualy around 70 to 90 from school colection time till 5.30/6 some services charge an hourly rate also. i would expect to pay similar if not more to a childminder particullary if the minder was picking them up from school, dropping them to sports activies etc. summer care would be full time and would therefore cost more and this is usually around the 130/150 depending on what part of the country your in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Have you heard about Au Pair programe? It's perfect for busy people that need some help in house and child care..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Au_pair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

Hi Thanks for the help, I have looked in to the whole au-pair programme, the snag is that whilst it is more cost effective there are two problems, I would have to rent a larger place (and that pushes the rent up), buy more food but the biggest difficulty for me is sharing a house, I guess I've lived with my son alone for too long (ten years) and I feel very uncomfortable in sharing, I would do it as a last resort, but the cost of providing larger accommodation negates any potential savings. What I have decided is to commute for a couple of years, my son will be start secondary school in just over two years, so it makes it easier for me then. Thanks anyhow, although I will ring some afterschool places and see what they charge per week, that may be an option.

Advertisement