Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What is this bottle?

Options
  • 08-04-2008 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭

Can anyone please tell me, before i lose my mind! what is the white bottle that is under the battery on the left hand side of the toyota avensis 01. bottle seems to have been attached some how to the lefthand wing.

since the wing was damaged I cannot figure out where the bottle goes as it was hangin off - or what its used for...it is not the water bottle as this is on the right hand side (steering wheel side)of the engine. I would be glad if someone could tell me how to reattach it and what the function of it is. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

A pic would help.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

If it has a long neck its your Coolant reserve tank I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I thought the coolant reserve was on the drivers side...

I'll check tomorrow. is the car petrol or diesel?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I'm pretty sure it on the passenger side in some Toyotas Colm I will check my own car now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Thanks but the bottle with the long neck is the window washer bottle,
    the one i'm talking about holds no water because there is small holes in the bottom of it,
    it is triangular bottle with a round opening on top and a small opening on the side for a pipe of some kind.

The opening on the top has a foam around the rim. I know that the long neck bottle is the window washer and that the expansion bottle is above this bottle on the left hand side as you look into the engine.

The mystery bottle is on the left hand side of the engine under the battery

The car is petrol vvti 1.6

• Advertisement

Surely there is a symbol on the cap - can you describe this symbol?

There is no cap, i think a pipe goes onto it... There is a foam around the rim...

I'll go back to requesting a pic......

crosstownk wrote: »
    A pic would help.

Here's two pics.

is that not an expansion tank?

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    is that not an expansion tank?

Looks like one to me - looks typical of a Japanese expansion tank.

I'd have followed the pipe that was hanging off it and seen where it went!

its not the expansion tank, its on the other side under the battery, under the wing

Are you sure that it's the expansion tank that you see on the other side.

Yes, positive!

I have identified the mystery container, it's the INTAKE AIR RESONATOR!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

kerash wrote: »
    Nope, it's not. That's usually black and a lot bigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

kerash wrote: »

No not the resonator. Resonators do not contain liquid, do not have caps and do not have small ports.

What is stamped/molded on the lid?. Is it easy to remove... the lid.

Possible options are;
    Windscreen reservoir, Usually has a pump and wires fitted or a large hole if missing.
    Rad Fluid Res, no pump but a high pressure cap
    Power Steering Fluid. Oily inside and brown gunk
    Charcoal canister, Nothing inside if it is cracked, otherwise charcole chips
    ATF?. Manual or Automatic, Oil
    Cruise control or none? Nothing inside, just a vacuum chamber, may have small ports.
    Brake/Clutch Fluid....
    What is not working, ie, your window washers, your headlamp washers, your rear gate washers...how are your brakes/clutch, is your engine overheating.... etc.?.

And given you did not know it was not a resonator, why should we believe any of the other identifications?
    Why did this thing fall out of nowhere anyway?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

AMurphy wrote: »
    Resonators do not contain liquid...

Well, I beg to differ:

twat1.jpg

:D

Ah here, would you read the previous posts before commenting, i never said it held water, i said it did not because IT HAS HOLES IN THE BOTTOM.

There is NO LID, i already said.

To make it clear it does not, contain liquid and does not have a cap.

It fell off because of damage to the wing.

Stand in front of your car 2001 VTTI 1.6 Toyota Avensis, lift bonnet, and look into engine on your left hand side along the wing is closest to you, window washer bottle, which has long neck with a cap with a symbol on it for washer bottle. Directly above this is your expansion tank for your radiator, and above that is your brake fluid bottle the AIR FLOW RESONATOR is on your right hand side, tight to your right hand wing, below your battery and behind your right wheel. This bottle as seen in pic, has holes in the bottom of it, all i'm tryin to find out now is how exactly i fix this back. Please dont tell me its for anythin else because i know its an air flow resonator, jus wanna know how to fix it back;)
    AMurphy wrote: »
    No not the resonator. Resonators do not contain liquid, do not have caps and do not have small ports.

What is stamped/molded on the lid?. Is it easy to remove... the lid.

Possible options are;
    Windscreen reservoir, Usually has a pump and wires fitted or a large hole if missing.
    Rad Fluid Res, no pump but a high pressure cap
    Power Steering Fluid. Oily inside and brown gunk
    Charcoal canister, Nothing inside if it is cracked, otherwise charcole chips
    ATF?. Manual or Automatic, Oil
    Cruise control or none? Nothing inside, just a vacuum chamber, may have small ports.
    Brake/Clutch Fluid....
    What is not working, ie, your window washers, your headlamp washers, your rear gate washers...how are your brakes/clutch, is your engine overheating.... etc.?.

And given you did not know it was not a resonator, why should we believe any of the other identifications?
    Why did this thing fall out of nowhere anyway?.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

cjt156 wrote: »
    Well, I beg to differ:

twat1.jpg

:D
    verry funny

Advertisement