Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

diesel?? what the hell has happened to the price

Options
  • 08-04-2008 11:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭

has the government put a stealth tax on diesel now that they will be a lot more popular with the tax laws.
    Is this excessive pricing actually counter productive in terms of encouraging people to go with the most economical choice:mad::mad:

how is it that a fuel that once weighed in at 10 pence or 10 cents cheaper per liter is now 10 cent dearer in some areas:mad::mad:

That a 20% increase in dsl as petrol has stood relatively still

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Supply & demand. Simple economics. More and more people are buying diesel cars and thus the price of it goes up dramatically.

Vegetable oil for the win anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Ivan,

Oil and its variants is a global business.

The global refinery capacity for diesel (vs petrol) is lower.

Demand goes up during winter months due to home heating - amongst others.

Supply vs Demand...

Tax levels, AFAIK are the same, at least Dick Turpin wore a mask...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

yeah plus new regs coming into force next june/july

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

What the hell is goign on with all the diesel price threads?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Vegetable oil for the win anyway.
    +1
    €2.04 for tesco oil in 3 litres, thats 0.69 per litre!

Although I heard via a UK forum that vegetable oil have gone up there, one poster said his local Tesco went from 56p per litre to £1.07 per litre.

Thats dearer than our diesel!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Its very simple economics. More people want to buy diesel lately and thus its more expensive. Everyone is very quick to blame a goverment who hae very little to do with it. They have a tax on it sure but we are one of the richest countries in the EU with a petrol price which is good compared to some other countries around. (germany is very expensive)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

This place is still a rip-off nation stemming from the morons running the place, the only solution to every problem according to them is to tax us or fine us, but when you see how they squander our money I suppose it's the easiest way to generate fast money.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

junkyard wrote: »
    the morons running the place, the only solution to every problem according to them is to tax us
    1. The 'morons' were elected democratically by the people.
    2. We have some of the lowest tax rates in the developed world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭maidhc

chris85 wrote: »
    Its very simple economics. More people want to buy diesel lately and thus its more expensive. Everyone is very quick to blame a goverment who hae very little to do with it. They have a tax on it sure but we are one of the richest countries in the EU with a petrol price which is good compared to some other countries around. (germany is very expensive)

I dont see how the extra few diesels in Ireland is making a difference one way or the other. Lets face it, Europe have had 40-50% diesels for years now, and last time I checked in Spain Diesel was still a good bit cheaper.

Someone is making bobs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

1. The 'morons' were elected democratically by the people.
    2. We have some of the lowest tax rates in the developed world.

Firstly, I didn't vote for them and I don't agree that we have some of the lowest tax rates in the developed world, we seem to have a lot of stealth taxes when you look at the bigger picture and these have been brought in when times were good and lots of people didn't notice them and now that the economy has hit a brick wall they're here to stay when many people can least afford them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

maidhc wrote: »
    I dont see how the extra few diesels in Ireland is making a difference one way or the other. Lets face it, Europe have had 40-50% diesels for years now, and last time I checked in Spain Diesel was still a good bit cheaper.

Someone is making bobs...

As far as i can see there is an increase in diesels and the oil companies know this and have upped the price.

Spain also has a lower cost of living and average wage. You cant compare prices based on purely price but the actual buying power of the country. I can also argue that in germany the prices are around 30% dearer since i last checked and they are not far behind us in terms of buying power.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Stekelly wrote: »
    What the hell is goign on with all the diesel price threads?
    +1

Diesel is the new fog lights.

Bluetonic wrote: »

Diesel is the new fog lights.

I'm waiting for the 'time to ban diesel' thread!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Diesel has shot up here and it hasn't in other countries. It's the fuel companies and fuel stations in anticipation of the July VRT/motortax thing.

Related article here: http://www.aaireland.ie/news/article.asp?news_Id=442

Veg oil is still 69c a litre in Lidl.

@junkyard, you need to update your sig ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭conneem-TT

Is this excessive pricing actually counter productive in terms of encouraging people to go with the most economical choice:mad::mad:

It' not really the most eco friendly though, a litre of diesel burned puts out ~2.7kg CO2 whereas a litre of petrol burned outputs ~2.3kg CO2.

So diesel put out 17% more CO2 per litre than petrol and thats how we buy it, by the litre.

But I can't see a reason for it's price to have jumped so much in the last month or so either, however I do see it coming down a bit around where I live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Can you literaly just pour veg oil from a supermarket bottle straight into a diesel tank????

Can you literaly just pour veg oil from a supermarket bottle straight into a diesel tank????

On certain cars yes, these being older indirect diesel injected.
    Old mercs, 1.9D VWs for example

It would distroy most of the diesel cars on the road though, TDi's, HDI's etc,

All diesel cars can burn veg oil, even used. But a lot can't take veg oil directly (more modern ones) and need a conversion kit.

Common rail diesels are often cited as a problem but I've been in touch with a guy in England who had no problems running his Opel Meriva 1.7TD on filtered waste veg oil with no conversion. Tho he does admit it's a gamble and doesn't recommend it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

HJL wrote: »
    +1

Although I heard via a UK forum that vegetable oil have gone up there, one poster said his local Tesco went from 56p per litre to £1.07 per litre.

In the UK, they stopped using veg oil and chipper oil when they realised that they still had to pay excise duty on it before they could put it into a car. This meant it was no cheaper than regular diesel.

Is the same true here? dont know, I'd guess it is.

stevec wrote: »
    In the UK, they stopped using veg oil and chipper oil when they realised that they still had to pay excise duty on it before they could put it into a car.
    Not correct. Veg oil is not on the charter at all as is therefore exempt from duty. However if you are doing more than a set mileage a year you have to register and pay duty.

Biodiesel (which is different to veg oil) qualifies for a reduced rate: 28p per litre, vs 48p per litre for regular diesel.

Similarly in this country biodiesel is duty exempt, only incurring VAT. Veg oil is unregulated afaik, and you don't need to pay any duty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

HJL wrote: »
    +1

Ha, he must be buying his oil in Harrods :D

Current prices for TEsco vegetable oil
    98p/litre
    297p/3litre

CrispNDry is currently 125p/litre

Current UK diesel prices in East Anglia are averaging out at 115.9p/Litre
    Petrol is currently veraging out at 108.9p/litre

Just FYI :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

has the government put a stealth tax on diesel now that they will be a lot more popular with the tax laws.

how is it that a fuel that once weighed in at 10 pence or 10 cents cheaper per liter is now 10 cent dearer in some areas:mad::mad:

That a 20% increase in dsl as petrol has stood relatively still

Blame John $uckwit Gormless of the Green Loony (we love Bertie) party

The excise duty per litre on diesel is 9 cents less than on petrol so apart from the rip-off price the Garage is creaming even more because to them it is lower taxed. Of course Gormless knew this was coming so he could have had a word with Biffo Cowen to keep the punters happy but as soon as he got a new Ministerial Merc under his butt he was happy to screw you in the name of the Environment...Amen

I hope the truckers bring the nation to halt soon over the price

r3nu4l wrote: »
    CrispNDry is currently 125p/litre

Do you have Lidl (or Aldi) in Cambridge?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

JHMEG wrote: »
    Not correct. Veg oil is not on the charter at all as is therefore exempt from duty. However if you are doing more than a set mileage a year you have to register and pay duty. Biodiesel qualifies for a reduced rate: 28p per litre, vs 48p per litre for regular diesel.

Similarly in this country biodiesel is duty exempt, only incurring VAT.

I thought biodiesel = veg oil:confused:

therefore there was some duty??? (in UK)

I'm not arguing, I really don't know and am interested.

Bee wrote: »
    I hope the truckers bring the nation to halt soon over the price
    I hope the truckers start buying their fuel from Lidl...

stevec wrote: »
    I thought biodiesel = veg oil:confused:
    No.

Veg oil = veg oil... there are 2 types, SVO (straight, ie new and clean) and WVO (waste, ie old chip oil). Using them in your car is not officially sanctioned by the manufacturer.

OTOH, biodiesel can be made from anything including dead cats, and is a regulated industry with standards, a bit like bio-ethanol with E95 etc. Particular blends of regualr and bio-diesel are sanctioned by most manufacturers, as with bio-ethanol where all cars since 1990 have to take E10 at a minimum.

No.

Veg oil = veg oil... there are 2 types, SVO (straight, ie new and clean) and WVO (waste, ie old chip oil). Using them in your car is not officially sanctioned by the manufacturer.

OTOH, biodiesel can be made from anything including dead cats, and is a regulated industry with standards, a bit like bio-ethanol with E95 etc. Particular blends of regualr and bio-diesel are sanctioned by most manufacturers, as with bio-ethanol where all cars since 1990 have to take E10 at a minimum.

Thanks for that:)

101 uses for a dead cat just got promoted to 102:D

E95 FTW - my JDM seems to love it so far - I've only recently converted to it and there is a difference.

Similarly in this country biodiesel is duty exempt, only incurring VAT. Veg oil is unregulated afaik, and you don't need to pay any duty.

How sure are you of this?

In the UK its very simple, you can use 2500 litres of veg oil a year duty free, anything over that has to be declared. And seen as there is no way of knowing if one were to use 1000 litres or 5000 litres it doesnt make a difference what the figure is really!

But for here i couldnt find any info at all, ive started to put a few litres of straight veg oil into my tank [going grand btw] more as an experiment really, but was concerned if i were to be dipped by the customs.
    Its kind of a grey area really.
    Ive read somewhere on the net that you have to by law delclare what you used throughout the year and pay duty on whatever amount of litres you used. But I dont know how accurate this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭maidhc

chris85 wrote: »
    As far as i can see there is an increase in diesels and the oil companies know this and have upped the price.

Spain also has a lower cost of living and average wage. You cant compare prices based on purely price but the actual buying power of the country. I can also argue that in germany the prices are around 30% dearer since i last checked and they are not far behind us in terms of buying power.

There isn't that much of an increase in diesels!

Diesel in Spain is significantly cheaper than petrol (where most cars are diesel), Diesel in Germany was also significatly cheaper than petrol (where most cars are diesel), although the position in Germany n may have changed in the past few months as it is awhile since i have been there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Bee wrote: »
    Blame John $uckwit Gormless of the Green Loony (we love Bertie) party.... .......... but as soon as he got a new Ministerial Merc under his butt he was happy to screw you in the name of the Environment
    :confused: John Gormley's Ministerial car is a Toyota Prius and he cycles as much as possible. ;)

Advertisement