Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

diesel?? what the hell has happened to the price

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

100% behind you on taxing the fuel
    this new VRT ignores older cars while building new cars creates massive amounts of pollution
    not to mention freeing up Garda and court resources from tax collection
    Unfortunately we had a property boom here for about 13 years which in the end resulted in a lot of people having massive commutes (the govt tackled it briefly when McCreevy implemented the recommendations of the Bacon report, but we all know what happened next).

Transferring all the tax onto fuel punishes these people further, to the point where they'd probably be better off emigrating.

Efficiencies in public spending along with a moderate increase in tax on fuel are the way forward. The latter is do-able, the former will never happen as no-one has the balls to take on the public sector unions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

E92 wrote: »
    I would be in favour taxing the polluter i.e. tax the fuel, not the car. With petrol being at least 13% cheaper owing to it's better environmental characteristics. If your car pollutes twice as much as mine then you pay twice as much as I do, simple as.

To clarify: If you have three cars, say an X5, a Prius and a 520d. And for arguments sake lets say the X5 pollutes 300g/km, Prius 100g/km and the 520d 150g/km.

In an ideal world if the fuel cost for the X5 was €2, you would want the 520d to pay €1 + 13% = €1.13 and the Prius to pay 66 cent. (maths might be a little off :D)

Or would you prefer a flat rate for all cars so there is no balance of efficiency. i.e €1 for all petrol, €1.13 for diesel.

(I tihnk we all wish those figures were accurate at this stage! ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Well the 520d was shown recently to be more frugal than the Prius in a Sunday Times test(in spite of the fact that 80% of the test would have favoured the Prius, and the Prius being over 10 mpg better in the EU tests than the 520d), so you never know with these things(though not frugal enough to have a lower carbon footprint)!

If I do 20 mpg in my car and you do 40 mpg in your car and they're both petrols, then I should pay twice as much as you for my petrol, no more, no less(assuming we've driven the same mileage).

Varying the taxation on fuel to take accout of how fuel efficient a car is wouldn't be practical, whereas there is a clear distinction between the way a petrol and a diesel pollutes the environment, and hence why it is perfectly justifiable to tax diesel more(in saying that because things like trucks etc can't run on petrol, I wouldn't see any reason to tax them more, but there is a cleaner solution with cars and vans so it would be a cars and vans only affair).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

As mentioned already taxing the fuel is not realistic due to alot of people having no viable alterantive way of commuting without drastically affecting their family life. The government is being very careful not to penalise people who have been penalised enough as it is (by that I mean being stuck in apartments in the greater dublin area with rubbish public transport). The current system penalises no one. When it comes time that you have to buy a new car you have a choice. Choose high emmissions and you'll pay for it in taxes and you can have no complaints.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Gegerty wrote: »
    Choose high emmissions and you'll pay for it in taxes and you can have no complaints.

I disagree with that. Diesels have much more environment crippling and cancer causing emmissions than petrol. CO2 just happens to be internationally trendy at the moment so the government are using it as an excuse to extract more tax from motorists.

What will happen in 10 years time when all vehicles are diesel and we're all dying of lung cancer because of it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

stevec wrote: »
    I disagree with that. Diesels have much more environment crippling and cancer causing emmissions than petrol. CO2 just happens to be internationally trendy at the moment so the government are using it as an excuse to extract more tax from motorists.

What will happen in 10 years time when all vehicles are diesel and we're all dying of lung cancer because of it?

Well ok, you can have complaints :-) But you cannot complain that your taxes are too high when you chose the higher option.

Totally agree with you about diesel as a polluter. But I think the government is doing what they are told by the EU. We have to lower CO2 or be fined, it makes sense that the higher CO2 polluters should pay more. It's a pity its all about CO2 though. But I don't think there can be any mistake that an overall clean environment is the ultimate goal of the Greens.

Advertisement