Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

limerick question

Options
  • 08-04-2008 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

hello people of limerick,
    might be movin down for college in september and just a few q's

not too worried about the troubles as i heard its usually confined but if anyone would like to shed some light on that matter..

and which areas would be suitable for a LIT student to live in,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Caherdavin or any of the surrounding area around LIT.
    Lots of student accomadation,there's a purpose built student campus down the road from it.

Any questions,dont hesitate..i moved to limerick for college in LIT and never left

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

What kind of money are talking about spending per month, accommadation is a bit cheaper in Limerick than alot of other places and maybe you could use that to your advantage, especially if you drive. If not as jackncoke said theres plenty of student accommadation nearby.

Regarding the 'troubles', most people in Limerick know as much as the rest of Ireland about whats going on with those fueds. If your not involved in a family fued you wont know the difference and you may as well be in any other county watching the news. Although unfotunately the communities in Moyross and Southhill get the brunt of the bad media coverage.

I feel safer walking the streets of Limerick than I do Cork or Dublin, plus theres millions being put into the city centre and its very very quickly changing for the better. There knocking down a whole block very soon.Theres some really great pubs around the city too. Also Thomand Park,the home of Munster is less than a minute walk from LIT, with a new stadium being built to hold 26,000, hope you enjoy it here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

...........do NOT live in thomond village. Get a house, soooo much better!!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Well said, zig. A voice of reason. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

The news paints a silly picture. I mean there were riots in Finglas but nobody would factor that into a decision to move to Dublin would they?

Same with Limerick - just a town - not a warzone! You can experience it whatever way you want.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

But the college is borderline in a bad area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

thats like saying JP mcmanus' house is borderline in a bad area being just up the road from Southhill

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

topper75 wrote: »
    The news paints a silly picture. I mean there were riots in Finglas but nobody would factor that into a decision to move to Dublin would they?

Same with Limerick - just a town - not a warzone! You can experience it whatever way you want.
    So much so infact that I've never even heard of these riots in Finglas... when did this happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

1huge1 wrote: »
    So much so infact that I've never even heard of these riots in Finglas... when did this happen?

St Paddy's weekend afaik.

Here is the story:
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/archives/2008/0318/ireland/mhojmhgbqley/

zig wrote: »
    thats like saying JP mcmanus' house is borderline in a bad area being just up the road from Southhill

...not when students get attacked on the way home from college, or while waiting for a taxi. Its on pg4 of this weeks post.

http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/Launch.aspx?referral=other&refresh=c15JEg0981Cw&PBID=16d2df0b-b84b-4602-a4f3-05634de2cff3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

RINO87 wrote: »
    ...not when students get attacked on the way home from college, or while waiting for a taxi. Its on pg4 of this weeks post.

http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/Launch.aspx?referral=other&refresh=c15JEg0981Cw&PBID=16d2df0b-b84b-4602-a4f3-05634de2cff3

And students don't get attacked on the way home from school in Trinity/UCC/NUIG?

Castletroy is one of the best areas in Limerick, but you will still hear tales of student houses being broken into, people mugged, people attacked.....no different from any other area in any other city in Ireland. No part of Ireland is excluded from this type of thing unfortunately.

I've lived in Limerick for 7 years now, and never seen one punch being thrown!

There's a few bad families at the center of all the trouble here. Aside from that Limerick is the same as any other city!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

castletroy is a lovely place..only ppl doin damage to the area are the high persentaged student population

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

But he's talking about LIT, whihc is right on thomondGate and around the corner from Moyross... why is every one talking about Castletroy, I'd agree thats a nice area!!

But he's talking about LIT, whihc is right on thomondGate and around the corner from Moyross... why is every one talking about Castletroy, I'd agree thats a nice area!!

Correct. But RINO87 made the point that:

As you say, we all think Castletroy is a nice place. But muggings & attacks still happen. It doesn't matter if the college is near Moyross or not. No matter where a college is located there will be trouble from time to time. That was my point in bringing up Castletroy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

LIT is a good 20 minute walk from any walkway to Moyross, "just around the corner" is like saying it's just around the corner from Clonmacken

Calling it a "good" walk might be a stretch:p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Not that I'd be going out of my way to go to Moyross for no particular reason, It's essentially a town with good and bad areas. I'm sure there are no go Areas in Tallaght as well as quite respecgtable ones. It does have a southside postcode after all:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭NewsWire

Come to limerick, we'll have a few beers. Its all good down here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

D-A-V-E wrote: »
    castletroy is a lovely place..only ppl doin damage to the area are the high persentaged student population

Got any proof of that? I lived there for 4 years as a student and the vast majority of us were well behaved and did not damage the area. Of course like any population of people you will find those who aren't so well behaved my point being you made a rather large and more than likely unfounded generalisation without providing any proof to back it up.
    ninty9er wrote: »
    I'm sure there are no go areas in Tallaght as well as quite respecgtable ones. It does have a southside postcode after all:D

Perhaps because it is on the south side of the city although there's been rumours lately about moving the entire area to an odd numbered postal code :p

rmacm wrote: »
    Got any proof of that? I lived there for 4 years as a student and the vast majority of us were well behaved and did not damage the area. Of course like any population of people you will find those who aren't so well behaved my point being you made a rather large and more than like unfounded generalisation without providing any proof to back it up.
    +1

• Advertisement

ninty9er wrote: »
    LIT is a good 20 minute walk from any walkway to Moyross, "just around the corner" is like saying it's just around the corner from Clonmacken

yeah, but both the student villiages are right beside it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Limerick is a great place, Getting better all the time.

It's unfortunate that there are still repressed ganglands fueds giving the city a bad name.

Its 2008 and I can't understand why the government have not taken this seriously and sort this mess out. Talk and talk is alll i hear of new garda etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

yeah, but both the student villiages are right beside it.

Which is why they have built a mini Berlin wall between the student villages and Moyross.

At the end of the day no matter what college you go to you will be near scumbags of some sort. Limerick is a small place and if you want trouble you will find it. If you approach Limerick like any other city and don't do anything stupid like walking around on your own late at night or go wandering into areas you shouldn't or behave like a drunken idiot and get into fights on a night out then you should be fine. Sometimes you can just be in the wrong place at the wrong time however and thats life. Nothing you can do about it. There is CCTV cameras all over the city now too which seems to have calmed things down a bit after the clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Whatever you do, DO NOT look for accomodation in Cratloe Woods student village, total dump and if the neighbours are loud/obnoxious, the security guards there wont listen to any of your complaints. Thomond village is a lot better. Although if you're serious about college and doing well, i'd stay away from student villages and look for a house in the caherdavin/woodview area.

Advertisement