Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloody Graphics...

Options
  • 09-04-2008 12:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭

Feeling a little depressed because of the bloody graphics on my computer. Here's the setup:

AMD 2ghz dual core processor
    2GB RAM
    Radeon Sapphire X1650 Pro 512 MB graphics cards (crossfired)
    Windows Vista (i can explain)

some games work full tilt no bother. But some like Crysis, even Price of persia run badly. I installed vista today so i could use directx 10. Testing out POP there and its the same problem as i had before on XP. Regardless if the graphics are very low quality or at their highest, the game runs choppy. Any idea what's causing this? I'm pissed off completely because I built this thing for games and it can't really handle them as it should. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

er.. dont you need a DX10 graphics card aswell as vista to run dx10?

edit: by far, not a good gaming system really... maybe for older games. but it's probably gonna struggle a lot with this new games, certainly wont be seeing high quality with that setup....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

What would you recommend? (By the way, the graphics card is compatible with vista and i got the right drivers installed etc..)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,411 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

People with their preconceptions of Vista again..

from what I gather, the card(s) are not capable of dx10. Sorry. http://www.sapphiretech.com/fn/products/products_overview.php?gpid=162&grp=3

Not bad cards to be fair, but I wouldnt consider it anything more than a mid-range rig.

Could it be problems related to the Crossfire bridge I wonder

dont worry you really arent missing too much from dx10. I've noticed no significant differences as of yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

****e on it. It looked good on paper. In fairness, i was on a budget :p I'll upgrade the hardware when i get a job and go back to XP tomorrow. Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That card was terrible for games when it even came out, crossfire X1650 is extremely uneconomical. Unfortunately, you'd probably get about 60-70 at best for both of them - but the good news, is that a 100-120 euro card will demolish that set up. Out of interest, did someone advise you to get X1650Pro Crossfire or was it your own choice? How much did they cost? Hopefully not too recent, as cards these days are well priced....sub 150 euro can get you a card capable of running Crysis at full whack at native res on a <19" monitor.

Good cards to consider with a small budget - about 150 - taking into account the re-sale value of the X1650's:

9600GT

8800GS

8800GTS OC

HD3850

In terms of performance, the 9600GT would be the best, but just to give you an idea - all of those cards are literally about 150% faster, at least, then X1650Pro crossfire.

Those are just examples - shop around, on other sites, to check out the prices on the same cards. Dabs.ie, Overclockers.co.uk, ebuyer.com, and so on. Hardwareversand.de offer great prices on hardware, but have a high delivery charge which can work out less well priced as you initially though if you're only buying one or two items.

That said, Prince of Persia should run fine on a single X1650Pro let alone Crossfire, probably a driver issue. But if you're thinking of playing the latest games, and Crysis, you need a new card anyway if you want to be able to turn on the eye candy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement