Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

bio Diesal

Options
  • 09-04-2008 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

Now i'm sure this thread was done before but i couldn't find it.

Anyways we all know diesals can run on a bit of chippy oil but, i recently read that you can run a PURE mix on this... i'd like some mechanics point of views and all
    thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

first off, bio-diesel ISN'T just chip oil.

there are 3 different products that are quite often mistaken for each other.

SVO = Straight Vegetable Oil. i.e. what you put in your chip fryer from tesco's, €2.04 for 3L bottles of their own branded stuff.

WVO = Waste Vegetable Oil. what chip shops and restaurants throw away after they've got all the frying out of it they can. usually dark brown treacly stuff, needs lots of filtering and/or washing to remove particles and water trapped in it before it can be used safely in a vehicle.

Bio-Diesel = diesel fuel manufactured using a chemical process (in a similar way that crude oil is turned into petroleum diesel you get in petrol stations) to turn it into something a lot more vehicle friendly than the other two types of oil. It's thinner, much less acidic and works a lot better in the long run in those engines suitable for running it.

'some' vehicles are able to run on svo or filtered wvo without problems, but ideally all will run better on bio-diesel in the long term.

the accepted standard for bio-diesel production in Europe is "EN 14214" and if you intend to buy the stuff off someone make sure it is produced to this standard to ensure the quality is up to scratch.

if you want to know if your own personal vehicle will run happily on any of the above fuels and what modifications you may have to make for them to work effectively then google is your friend. there are heaps of forums dedicated to both bio-diesel use/production and svo & wvo too. knowledge is power.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

+1 vibe666
    I was always getting confused about those 3 terms. I always assumed they were the same thing under different names. like pepsi and coke
    I thanked you lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Dabko

anyone out there know where in ireland you can buy quality bio diesel?
    cheers

Advertisement