Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PDI 6.01mm barrel

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

using a barrel of that diameter is gonna mean the gun will ber very pickey about what BBs it'll accept, id stick to 6.04 or even 6.03 but too tight and BBs will get stuck in it.,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

vtec wrote: »
    using a barrel of that diameter is gonna mean the gun will ber very pickey about what BBs it'll accept, id stick to 6.04 or even 6.03 but too tight and BBs will get stuck in it.,

Does that happen with good quality bbs? And would it affect the power output, having a tighter bore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Tighter bore is a funny thing, in theory it will increase output, but it can also decrease output because there is extra friction.

Frank the Manc: I was looking at getting one of those barrels recently, emailed airsoftgi to see if they would ship to Ireland, but never got a reply and I decided to go for a KM 6.04mm instead, you could try direct from the manufacturer here. As vtec said, 6.01mm barrels will be really picky about ammo, you may need to spend some time trying different brands to see which work best for you. You'll also have to keep the barrel very clean, any amount of dirt in there can cause a jam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

does anyone know where is the cheapest site to get one of these from, looking for the 500mil one for an m-14

found this also, anyone have any experiance with either?

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=3043

I though M14s used 509s like Augs. I got a prometheus 6.03 509 from RSOV, around E45. Never heard any complaints about prometheus.

As they said, any speck of dirt and the bbs will jam. Also, all the M14s I've seen dont need one. They're super accuate stock once the barrell has been cleaned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Frank the Manc

im well aware of the consequences alright, i think i can manage a bit of extra cleaning for the sake of accuracy.
    if youre goin to spend €50 on a 6.04 you may as well spend a little more on a really good quality 6.01.
    its a cyma so it does need it, that a new guarder spring and hop and a 8.4 firefox, im still undecided as to what scope to put on it.
    was thinkin a 2x42 red-dot or 3-9x32 non-luminated recticle?
    that som midcap MAG mags and either .23s or .25s.
    what do you recon?

i saw that site alright, they seem to have good enough reviews if not widespread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

At 500mm 6.01 versus 6.03 isnt gonna make a massive difference to accuracy, if any.

Also from 6.03 down I think fps decreases due to friction.

Id say get a prometheus 6.03, a bb is inherently inaccurate once it hits air anyway, 500mm will provide greater accuracy than the bb can maintain in flight with 6.03 or 6.01, plus you dont get as much trouble from a 6.03 barrel with dirt.

I've read from plenty of places that 6.03 is optimium, especially at that length of barrel where accuracy is naturally higher, and friction is more of a factor.

hmmmm time to re-think then.

Motosam wrote: »
    At 500mm 6.01 versus 6.03 isnt gonna make a massive difference to accuracy, if any.

Also from 6.03 down I think fps decreases due to friction.

Id say get a prometheus 6.03, a bb is inherently inaccurate once it hits air anyway, 500mm will provide greater accuracy than the bb can maintain in flight with 6.03 or 6.01, plus you dont get as much trouble from a 6.03 barrel with dirt.

I've read from plenty of places that 6.03 is optimium, especially at that length of barrel where accuracy is naturally higher, and friction is more of a factor.

From my limited understanding of the mechanics and physics of airsoft, you need some reasonable air-cushioning between the bb and the barrel, which will stabilise the bb enough to get that accuracy and power exiting the barrel, and after that you'll want a heavier bb, such as a .25g, in order to increase accuracy over distance.

kevteljeur wrote: »
    From my limited understanding of the mechanics and physics of airsoft, you need some reasonable air-cushioning between the bb and the barrel, which will stabilise the bb enough to get that accuracy and power exiting the barrel, and after that you'll want a heavier bb, such as a .25g, in order to increase accuracy over distance.

In theory the bb does touch the inner wall of the barrel, but it bounces around inside, it can move less in a tighter bore so is more accurate, I saw a video explaining it before, but cant remember where I found it.

I've moved up to .25 now myself, it does seem to have a marked improvement in accuracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭liamo333

On the PDI website it says the 6.01 is for fps, the 6.04 for accuracy and the 6.05 for value

this is proably the best place to buy one. http://www.x-fire.org/01/e.main.html

• Advertisement

In theory the bb does touch the inner wall of the barrel, but it bounces around inside, it can move less in a tighter bore so is more accurate, I saw a video explaining it before, but cant remember where I found it.

I've moved up to .25 now myself, it does seem to have a marked improvement in accuracy.

Ah. I'm somewhat ignorant of what exactly happens in the barrel, but I seem to remember reading something about how it's necessary to have a little air cushioning in the barrel; too little and you have too much friction, and too much and of course air escapes around the bb and the bb wobbles.

You probably followed the discussion where KD was looking at the increase/decrease in energy from different weight bbs in different length barrels; I looked it up and found myself wondering why not standardise on .23g or .25g bbs - after a certain distance, they maintain their speed and have better accuracy, and over shorter distance the time gap is too small to make a difference in bb dodging antics. I think one would have to push the power output right up 0.97J or thereabouts to get the maximum value out of it though. Correct me if I'm wrong, you're speaking from experience.

As soon as I can justify it I'll be putting in an order to Begadi of .23g and .25g biodegradable bbs. Sorry to the OP, this is a little off-topic (although maybe the point was, go to .25g bbs instead of a tighter barrel, because you'll get the accuracy but less likely to jam your barrel up).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Beast ASI

No it won't - I've not had a jam, I actually tested this myself by running a few thousand rounds through it without cleaning and there was no jams at all.
    kdouglas wrote: »
    Tighter bore is a funny thing, in theory it will increase output, but it can also decrease output because there is extra friction.

Frank the Manc: I was looking at getting one of those barrels recently, emailed airsoftgi to see if they would ship to Ireland, but never got a reply and I decided to go for a KM 6.04mm instead, you could try direct from the manufacturer here. As vtec said, 6.01mm barrels will be really picky about ammo, you may need to spend some time trying different brands to see which work best for you. You'll also have to keep the barrel very clean, any amount of dirt in there can cause a jam.

The PDI barrel is better than the DBCustoms ones, even though the DBCustoms ones are fantastic themselves.

As long as you use ANY decent quality ammo you will be fine - Just calculate what will fit and what won't. Even though claims are made as to +/- 0.01, I'd always leave 0.02 to be safe.
    As they said, any speck of dirt and the bbs will jam. Also, all the M14s I've seen dont need one. They're super accuate stock once the barrell has been cleaned.

Excuse me, but how do you know this then?

NO THEY WON'T - and this is what annoys me about it, don't say it will jam if you have don't have one.
    liamo333 wrote: »
    On the PDI website it says the 6.01 is for fps, the 6.04 for accuracy and the 6.05 for value

As you said, that's what PDI reckon - As for the difference, I'm not really sure. On some of my guns I've seen a bigger increase from the Prometheus fps wise than the PDI, but the other way round on others.

X-Fire is PDI's offical shop in Japan, so you'd be buying it direct from there then.

Redwolf have M14 ones in stocked last time I checked.

Ah. I'm somewhat ignorant of what exactly happens in the barrel, but I seem to remember reading something about how it's necessary to have a little air cushioning in the barrel; too little and you have too much friction, and too much and of course air escapes around the bb and the bb wobbles.

You probably followed the discussion where KD was looking at the increase/decrease in energy from different weight bbs in different length barrels; I looked it up and found myself wondering why not standardise on .23g or .25g bbs - after a certain distance, they maintain their speed and have better accuracy, and over shorter distance the time gap is too small to make a difference in bb dodging antics. I think one would have to push the power output right up 0.97J or thereabouts to get the maximum value out of it though. Correct me if I'm wrong, you're speaking from experience.

As soon as I can justify it I'll be putting in an order to Begadi of .23g and .25g biodegradable bbs. Sorry to the OP, this is a little off-topic (although maybe the point was, go to .25g bbs instead of a tighter barrel, because you'll get the accuracy but less likely to jam your barrel up).

No not myself, but I have read a few reports into it, with fps in different barrels, going up nearing 6.03, and going down a bit afterwards.
    And comparisons of barrels groupings.

The bb weight though, is a massive advantage in accuracy as long as the barrel spits em out straight in the first place.

Beast ASI wrote: »
    No it won't - I've not had a jam, I actually tested this myself by running a few thousand rounds through it without cleaning and there was no jams at all.

The PDI barrel is better than the DBCustoms ones, even though the DBCustoms ones are fantastic themselves.

As long as you use ANY decent quality ammo you will be fine - Just calculate what will fit and what won't. Even though claims are made as to +/- 0.01, I'd always leave 0.02 to be safe.

NO THEY WON'T - and this is what annoys me about it, don't say it will jam if you have don't have one.

As you said, that's what PDI reckon - As for the difference, I'm not really sure. On some of my guns I've seen a bigger increase from the Prometheus fps wise than the PDI, but the other way round on others.

X-Fire is PDI's offical shop in Japan, so you'd be buying it direct from there then.

Both myself and KD can tell you all about the variencies in size from different BB manufacturers, we are both using tight bore barrels in my G36 and his P90. they wont use some BBs like the beast ones ect since there fractionaly bigger than others like excels for instance, now our barrels arnt 6.01 and there still pickey so imagine what it will be like with a tighter barrel than ours? as we said, it will be pickey about what BBs it will use and just because you havent had it happen to you doesnt mean it wont or cant happen.,;)

I'm not sure if the barrel is actually the cause of the misfeeds with my p90, it seems to be a problem with them getting stuck in the winding mechanism of the mag

liamo333 wrote: »

nice one ill defo look into that site, have you ordered from them before?

doesnt bother me cos im interested in the bb weights as well, saw a nice little scales on dealextreme that does down to .001, just to be exactly sure on what youre gettin.
    Beast ASI wrote: »

yeah fuk it i think ill go with the 6.01, i was talked out of gettin a mac as my first propper airsoft about a year ago when i asked on boards, and it was the sorriest decision i ever made (no offence to any posters here)
    you always hear pros and cons but at the end of the day you wont know until you take the chance.
    so youd reccomend the PDI one then, yeah?

sound for all the input, much appreciated.

I'm not sure if the barrel is actually the cause of the misfeeds with my p90, it seems to be a problem with them getting stuck in the winding mechanism of the mag

i definitly wont be using hi caps, you dont have a choice with a P-90 though right?

nice one ill defo look into that site, have you ordered from them before?

yeah fuk it i think ill go with the 6.01, i was talked out of gettin a mac as my first propper airsoft about a year ago when i asked on boards, and it was the sorriest decision i ever made (no offence to any posters here)
    you always hear pros and cons but at the end of the day you wont know until you take the chance.
    so youd reccomend the PDI one then, yeah?

sound for all the input, much appreciated.

Yes, I've ordered twice from PDI and I've found them both times to be great :)

Personally, out of my experience - it's the best barrel I've used and worth the money in my opinion :)
    Both myself and KD can tell you all about the variencies in size from different BB manufacturers, we are both using tight bore barrels in my G36 and his P90. they wont use some BBs like the beast ones ect since there fractionaly bigger than others like excels for instance, now our barrels arnt 6.01 and there still pickey so imagine what it will be like with a tighter barrel than ours? as we said, it will be pickey about what BBs it will use and just because you havent had it happen to you doesnt mean it wont or cant happen.,;)

Great, so can I.

1. Beast BB's are NOT fractionally bigger than excels, I can guarantee that, measure them with digital calipers. They are infact exactly the same spec as excels - 5.95mm +/- 0.01mm. Most BB's are made to this spec - physically they won't jam in barrels of 6.01mm. There are other, larger BB's such as Xtreme's and Madbull's which are 5.98mm - Again, I've tried these, they will not jam.

2. "there still pickey so imagine what it will be like with a tighter barrel than ours?" You can't pinpoint a jam straight to the barrel. I've tried MANY different brands, if not all well known brands of BB's and some lesser known companies and only some ones which do not have as tight manufacturing conistincy, in short, are bad quality and they will jam - This is normally because they are poor quality, with seem lines and shape inconsistency's.

3. as we said, it will be pickey about what BBs it will use and just because you havent had it happen to you doesnt mean it wont or cant happen.,;)

Put a post up on an american board about a DBCustoms 6.01mm barrel. I've never ever seen a post with people complaining about a jam with good quality BB's - The people who say it will jam don't have them themselves.

this is going a bit off topic but i measured the beast and excels too and there was a difference, i cant remember the exact results but the beast were fractionally larger. i only thought to do it when KD mentioned he was having problems with those BBs in the P90 so i figured i might be having the same problem with the G36. its perfect on some BBs and not so good on others. the reason i wouldnt reccomend really tight barrels is that the highest quality BBs arnt always the most convenient to get, especially if your in a game in HRTA for instance, pauls BBs will work in most of my AEGs but not so much in the G36 and that puts me off bringing it now unless i bring a large bottle of excels with me.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭little buda

you should try getting a tanio koba twist barrel

• Advertisement

let's not even start on the TK twist barrels.... that's a whole different kettle of fish

you should try getting a tanio koba twist barrel

tanio koba marketing gimic.

let's not even start on the TK twist barrels.... that's a whole different kettle of fish
    tanio koba marketing gimic.

Exactly ;)

They are as good as a regular TB, nothing more, nothing less. I'd still take another barrel over it....

Advertisement