Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turbine (college tribune)

Options
  • 09-04-2008 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Out of ideas:rolleyes:??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Dya ever notice how white guys have names like Lenny, whereas black guys have names like Carl?! Doesn't that just crack you up?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Out of ideas:rolleyes:??

Must be. That recent batman one was tragic. I rarely ever read fully it any more.

Satire needs to be acerbic and grounded in fact, not just a half-arsed attempt at being funny with idle smalltalk.

That traveller article from last year was reasonably good, although it caused a bit of sh1t-storm. I wasn't in UCD at the time so I don't know much else about it apart from the copy of the article posted here.

Maybe i'm being a bit prejudicial here however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Anybody read that free magazine that was given out yesterday? Think it was called 'the Spanner'. Is that new? Had a read of a few of the articles, wasn't overly impressed. Seems like a poor-man's Onion tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭PennyLane

Well, I was looking at all the old Spanner covers on the wall of the Bernard Shaw last night. Have they resurrected it?

• Advertisement

PennyLane wrote: »
    Well, I was looking at all the old Spanner covers on the wall of the Bernard Shaw last night. Have they resurrected it?

That was The Slate! Major difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Anybody read that free magazine that was given out yesterday? Think it was called 'the Spanner'. Is that new? Had a read of a few of the articles, wasn't overly impressed. Seems like a poor-man's Onion tbh.

I <3 the Onion. Bring your daughter to war day: classic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

DaveMcG wrote: »

I think its really good. It can a bit hit and miss, but presuming its written by students, its better than most. Considering how good the Onion is, anything like it is going to be a poor man's version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭PennyLane

Myth wrote: »
    That was The Slate! Major difference.

Right! I knew that. Obviously. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

PennyLane wrote: »

It's alright.. they've had it online for years, not sure about in magazine form (I'm assuming it used to be in magazine seeing as it was issue 17 and says at the beginning they're only being let back into colleges now). Sometimes it can be pretty good but most of the time it's just meh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

Did anyone read the article about Iran aquiring magic door technology? Near the end the president of Iran was called Saddam and I can't decide if that was deliberate or if they made a mistake copying the article from the one a few years back.

Advertisement