Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question

• 09-04-2008 7:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Ive just recently become aware of Airsoft as a sport, and though I've always known about BB guns, I never quite knew how cool they where, my friend recently purchased a m15 and after I had a few rounds of it on his land, I fell in love.

Now, last night I purchased an AEG (TM Ak47) and a BB hand gun (Desert Eagle 50AE) and am very interested in getting into the game.

I'm missing my right hand to just below my elbow, since birth so I am well adjusted and have decent aim, and was wondering if this would preclude me from the festivities in any way.

I'm not looking to join a team but if I ever go out for a day with the lads and am told I cant play I be heart broken.

I'm 29 BTW so no Kid.

Exneigh

BTW, great forum, excellent info.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭RC car fanatic

Exneigh wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Ive just recently become aware of Airsoft as a sport, and though I've always known about BB guns, I never quite knew how cool they where, my friend recently purchased a m15 and after I had a few rounds of it on his land, I fell in love.

Now, last night I purchased an AEG (TM Ak47) and a BB hand gun (Desert Eagle 50AE) and am very interested in getting into the game.

I'm missing my right hand to just below my elbow, since birth so I am well adjusted and have decent aim, and was wondering if this would preclude me from the festivities in any way.

I'm not looking to join a team but if I ever go out for a day with the lads and am told I cant play I be heart broken.

I'm 29 BTW so no Kid.

Exneigh

BTW, great forum, excellent info.

welcome mate.BB guns arnt the best thing to call them...Say airsoft gunms..anyway im not sure how your arm will effect you but im sure you could play..good luck spending all your money.:)

oh by the way where are you located in dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Exneigh

Heh, still getting used to all the terms :D

Oh I'm in Tallaght :)

Heh, still getting used to all the terms :D

Oh I'm in Tallaght :)

grand i was just wondering if i knew you because a guy in my estate had an accident with his arm a while ago.Good choice on the ak aswell.

Yea, its a stunning looking model, and haven't read a bad review yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Welcome, as was pointed out, we tend to avoid using the term "bb guns", technically it is incorrect because bb guns fire steel .177 calibre rounds whereas airsoft is 6mm plastic. It may seem pedantic, however the media generally report airsoft as "BB guns" so we can't exactly correct them if we start using the term. :p

You shouldn't have any problem with your arm, you may want to consider getting a good sling for your AK, but it shouldn't cause you any problems since you said yourself you can use and aim it no problem.

• Advertisement

Thanks Kdouglas, yea, I ordered a G&P AK Sling (Coyote) with the Rifle also, so I have that covered :D

I'm thinking fast reloads might be the only problem I have.. oh and hand signals!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Welcome Exneigh. You've just discovered the best sport in existence:P

Regarding your arm the one thing I'd say is reloading could be tough. An automatic drum mag would add lots of weight but would remove the need to reload. Might be worth considering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Never thought about reloading, also wind-up high cap mags could prove difficult. Is there any auto-winding drum mags available for the AK?

Edit: of course there is! http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/ProductDetail?prodID=21526

kdouglas wrote: »
    Never thought about reloading, also wind-up high cap mags could prove difficult. Is there any auto-winding drum mags available for the AK?

Edit: of course there is! http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/ProductDetail?prodID=21526

Ah ha! nice piece of kit there! I shall put one on order :D

Thanks a mill!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

auto winding high capacity mags and high mah batterys combined with a well set up three point sling should put you on a level playing field

welcome to the addiction:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Welcome to Airsoft...

Some of the players couldn't hit an elephant at 10 paces. And that's before they've had alcohol (And no, we don't drink and play).

You'll fit in just fine.

so everyone gets thanked but me......:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

The ak is a nice size, using the left hand to fire, you could probably still be able support the front with your right arm as its a short enough aeg and its grip is not hard to reach for you I imagine.

I think you'll manage reloads ok, pin the aeg to your chest with your right arm, and reload with the left hand.

With a sling also you'll have an extra support point, though I cant comment on whether this would be easy with practice or not, you know what you are capable of more than we do.

A drum mag is also an option if reloads seem akward, and would be easy to support because the grip is far enough back on an ak to reach even with a shorter right arm.

Its really just practise for you I'm sure, I doubt you are less capable than anyone here to do most of this stuff with a little extra effort and practice.

I'm sure you'll be fine.

rbd wrote: »

:( For some reason there's no Thankyou button on your post.. I am a bit confused :o

I love all the input!

Thanks rbd :D

yeah strange that
    thems the breaks

have you signed up for the gathering in galway yet? its gonna be huge

yeah strange that
    thems the breaks

have you signed up for the gathering in galway yet? its gonna be huge

Oh if I can I will! but I have to run it by a few of the boys first.. I'll need a few familiar faces around me if I'm going to make an eejit out of meself. :D

closest I've gotten to combat is Call of Duty 4 lol

Theres 15 post per page now too, rather than the usual 20, and rbd indeeds does not have a thanks button, very strange.

Hang on you are able to play COD? How? I dont think airsoft is going to pose you any trouble in that case :D

no you don't
    it'll be very friendly and brilliant and there are gonna be over a hundred people marching onto the field of battle, skill levels vary and maxforce will be mixing up the vets withe the noobs so if you can get in get in now

Motosam wrote: »
    Theres 15 post per page now too, rather than the usual 20, and rbd indeeds does not have a thanks button, very strange.

Hang on you are able to play COD? How? I dont think airsoft is going to pose you any trouble in that case :D

ah well my arm goes past my elbow for about 6 inches, and I have good movement in it, so I use that on the arrow keys, I also use a logitech gamer mouse for a few extra buttons run, grenade and flash bang, I'm at the FPS's since CS was a beta :D I'm quite decent. I cant use Xbox controllers though :(

Ah I'll get there! sure if I have to hide in a corner while I fiddle with me ammo I will! I be there for the craic :D

ah well my arm goes past my elbow for about 6 inches, and I have good movement in it, so I use that on the arrow keys, I also use a logitech gamer mouse for a few extra buttons run, grenade and flash bang, I'm at the FPS's since CS was a beta :D I'm quite decent. I cant use Xbox controllers though :(

Ah I'll get there! sure if I have to hide in a corner while I fiddle with me ammo I will! I be there for the craic :D

By the sounds of it then, its just nerves, you'll be perfectly capable at airsoft, if you can use a pc to game, you can reload a bloody ak :D

Its not hard getting to know people either at scirmishes, I know plenty now and I have only been twice. (im still ashamed of that :D)

• Advertisement

no you don't
    it'll be very friendly and brilliant and there are gonna be over a hundred people marching onto the field of battle, skill levels vary and maxforce will be mixing up the vets withe the noobs so if you can get in get in now

sounds brilliant! having looked at the details there though, 27th is me birthday and I have arrangements :(

at least I can get some practice in before I hit a major event :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

you should be fine, although i would like to suggest maybe looking at the star ak drum mag instead of the hero arms, the star version is made of steel and looks like the real thing with great reliability, i;ve heared conflicting report in regards to the reliability and the materials that the hero arms mags are made from. (ps you could always add a bipod and you have yourself a nice support weapon with teh drum mag)

Those bipods I assume would be interchangeable with other rifles? I do intend to buy that amazing looking G&G dragunov once I free up a few shillings :D

then I can get a gun rack! :pac:

Those bipods I assume would be interchangeable with other rifles

this depends on a few things, as stock the tm ak does not have any 20mm rails so your limited to a bipod that clamps round the barrel (this may be cross compatible with other aegs) or a bipod that attaches to the bayonet lug on the ak (this would not be cross compatible)
    G&G dragunov

a g&g dragunov i know they had just released some pics of the new akms but i was unaware of a dragunov on the books do you have any links?

jeezus man..your loaded..Ye a gun rack you will need or somewhere to store all your stuff:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

welcome to the forum ,glad to see more people from this neck of the world getting involved,

nice choice in gear too ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Regading interchangeability RIS Rails are the way to go. Look at the linky below. There are 2 sizes(at least common sizes) 20 and 25mm. If it fits say a 25 then it will fit any 25 and so on. Allows for lights, scopes, grenade launchers and...bipods:) Thing is ak's dont usually have them, kinda an american thing:P

http://www.bp-usa.com/big_product_pics/73220.jpg

Puding wrote: »
    this depends on a few things, as stock the tm ak does not have any 20mm rails so your limited to a bipod that clamps round the barrel (this may be cross compatible with other aegs) or a bipod that attaches to the bayonet lug on the ak (this would not be cross compatible)

a g&g dragunov i know they had just released some pics of the new akms but i was unaware of a dragunov on the books do you have any links?

Crap... maybe I'm wrong about the G&G one, I could swear I seen one earlier :o

Well, A dragunuv one way or an other I'll be wanting :D

jeezus man..your loaded..Ye a gun rack you will need or somewhere to store all your stuff:)

Ha! I wish.. I just know I'm gonna loose the run of meself with this stuff :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

<---Gives rbd a virtual 'Thumbs up thanks'.

There, ya happy? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Ha! I wish.. I just know I'm gonna loose the run of meself with this stuff :D

Haaaaa...this is just the start of it mate, as well as the AEG wait till you start looking into high grade bb's, juicey batteries,upgrades, scopes, silencers, bags, magazines, clothing, kit, boots, gloves, googles.................that before we get into back ups, and all that jazz!!!!:D

Welcome to the wonderful world of Airsoft mate! don't worry, there's plenty of us in the same boat;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

g&g dragunov is coming soon ,

they posted a picture around christmas showing new aegs that were coming out this year included in the pic was the aims and the dragunov

iceage wrote: »
    Haaaaa...this is just the start of it mate, as well as the AEG wait till you start looking into high grade bb's, juicey batteries,upgrades, scopes, silencers, bags, magazines, clothing, kit, boots, gloves, googles.................that before we get into back ups, and all that jazz!!!!:D

Welcome to the wonderful world of Airsoft mate! don't worry, there's plenty of us in the same boat;):D

Already ordered me gun bag and a battery and a magazine! and I hear I can get real wood bits for the AK too... I be going without dinners for that stuff :D

My friend has a red dot sight for his m15, but I fount the straight iron sights was more effective, at least for me.

do you have the picture? i did not come across that one, i know real swords released a Christmas pic with a svd in it but i never came across the g&g version

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

the ak is a great choice as its not too heavy either. the m4 series of guns are a fair bit heavier.
    I was also going to recomend a drum mag when i read your post. great way around reloading problems.

Good boots, good sling and cloths that you dont mind getting scruffy and your sorted.
    I played Gaelic Football with a chap who had one arm and he was well capable so i cant see airsoft being at all difficult.

• Advertisement

I played Gaelic Football with a chap who had one arm and he was well capable so i cant see airsoft being at all difficult.

Used to play meself (thomas davis).. but that was a long time ago.. I decided to quit and concentrate on watching it on telly.

Used to play meself (thomas davis).. but that was a long time ago.. I decided to quit and concentrate on watching it on telly.

boo.im from judes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

I couldnt tell you the name of the guy as it was when i was in primary school. he played in a club outside of Dublin but his team played my team regularly for friendly matches and such.

I couldnt tell you the name of the guy as it was when i was in primary school. he played in a club outside of Dublin but his team played my team regularly for friendly matches and such.

.whoops, dont matter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

I'm missing my right hand to just below my elbow

I'm Sure you could work around the reloading.

As long as you Get into the habit of finding the cover and the time to reload.
    :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement