Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"wildcamping" suggestions please

• 09-04-2008 9:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭

Every now and again, me and my two brother in laws just head off for a short weekend in the campervan.

Apparantly they have decided t ogo somewhere this weekend.

The last time we went down to Clare and did some touristy things and then parked across the road from the pub in Doolin. It was grand but a bit far from Dublin for a short weekend.

Need to do the same this weekend... somewhere about 2 hours from Dublin with something to do during the day and then a safe place to park that is probably walking distance from a pub.

Any ideas?????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

Curracloe Beach is a nice spot with a grand boozer beside it and with the Gorey Bypass open it makes for a much quicker journey than before. You're also close enough to Wexford Town where there are some grand little shops and some fine pubs too.

Carlingford Co Louth is another good spot with decent pubs and good hill walking if that's your thing. There's a small tourist office where you'll get plenty of info. You're also close to the border if you want to make use of the sterling/euro thing.
    One thing about the carlingford area and indeed most areas close to the border, the price of diesel and petrol is more expensive because the filling stations are making the most of the UK£ money market fuel price where there's a lot of cross border traffic purely on fuel runs so top up when you leave or are about to leave Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

I'll second Cralingford, was there last week and it's a lovely spot.

If you fancy the midlands than you could try the marina at Banagher or Portumna. Both popular overnight stops with ample supply of quality pubs, shops etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

Carlingford sounds good. I've never actually been. Any pubs to be recommended where you can park right beside them or pretty close?

Although looking at the weather forecast we might need to find indoor activities rather than walking etc... considering we will have a day and a half or so to kill....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

3ps wrote: »
    Carlingford sounds good. I've never actually been. Any pubs to be recommended where you can park right beside them or pretty close?QUOTE]

Carlingford is very small, but beautiful. A couple of it's streets are pedestrianised and have a medievel look with quaint olde style pubs who also offer some very nice food and cater for the outdoor type, meaning a big warm feed:D I've yet to drink in a bad pub there, any I've been in have been really nice.
    No matter where you park you are close to the pubs. you can also park on the sea front overlooking the harbour.

There are a few good pubs in the centre for town, and the carpark is also central. The car park has barriers but dont appear to be used. Parking also around the pier.
    There's an adventure centre which is quiet popular. We booked kids in for the day while we lazed about drinking coffee etc..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭sandyg

Id be careful parking along the main street as a few of us were there a few months ago and about 2 in the morning we heard noises outside. Went to investigate and found two fellas drunk trying to let the air out of our friends rv tyres. It can be a bith noisey around there late at night. We now go to Omeath (about 10 mins from Carlingford). In the village there is a hotel called the Granvue House hotel. We (six of us) all park at bottom of the hill of the hotel and have had no problems whatsoever. The hotel welcomes the motorhomes. Theres nice walks along the coast and a playground area nearby for kids. Would highly recommend it:)

3PS - If your looking for some indoor activities for kids you could drive to Dundalk (about 20 mins drive from Carlingford) where they have JJB Sports (indoor football pitches) or the Ice Dome for ice skating. Pirate Petes etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

sometimes you would think they are kids but they are not... two brother in laws!

one of them isn't really into outdoors activities so i'm just trying to find interesting things to do.

Two others I know with campers have suggested staying at Banagher Offaly. I could do the Tullamore Dew tour, and perhaps up to the Arigna coal mines the next day?

Anything else interesting indoors along the route(ish). I've heard of Strokestown House but it doesn't look very exciting.

If you're thinking Banagher you could also stop in Kilbeggan at Locks Distillery, Clonmacnoise isn't far from away but not very Motorhome friendly. Birr has some nice sights. The Castle & science centre could pass half a day. Check out http://www.offalytourism.com/ where you might find something of interest.

Advertisement