Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Options in Eden Gate

Options
  • 09-04-2008 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Can anyone shed some light on what broadband options are available in Eden Gate? What speeds are available on DSL with Ericom/BT etc.? Is there some wireless broadband providers like Irish Broadband or Digiweb available and whats their speeds like? Also I hear that theres a company called Broadworks that have the cable TV in there - do they offer broadband also? Any info appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 decokiernan

Hi,
    There is no cable TV in this area as yet only Digital TV via the Aerial which NTL provides.

I believe the Wicklow County Council Panning Laws prohibit Sky Dishes on the front or side or a residential property.

Irish Broadband provide up to 6mb currently at 169.95 per month which will go up to 12mb for the same price, when the Greystones Exchange is LLU'd.

Eircom will provide the same 6mb package but they will impose download limits.

There is also wireless Ripwave available.

Going to any potential provider and putting in your address and telephone number will tell you what you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭mak78

I don't have a phone number to check against as at the moment I'm still only thinking of moving to Eden Gate. What I wanted to know is if the lines into the estate and the serving exchange and support decent speeds (3mb+). I'm assuming from your reply that they do since Irish Broadband have a 6mb service - although €169 per month!!

Does anyone have decent DSL broadband at a reasonable price?

...I was under the impression that broadworks were doing the the TV not NTL?

The next step down is 3mb which is 39.95 per month. At the moment you pay a premium for speed.

There are plenty of cheap DSL options but as usual Caveat Emptor.

You will be on the Greystones Exchange which is activated up to 6mb at the moment.

Never heard of Broadworks only NTL service Greystones and Kilcoole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Eden Gate is too far from the greystones exchange for 6mbps (never mind 12mbps). I have 2mbps eircom dsl, and they tell me I cant get any faster.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Eden Gate is too far from the greystones exchange for 6mbps (never mind 12mbps). I have 2mbps eircom dsl, and they tell me I cant get any faster.

Yes im at the top of kilcoole and can only get 1mb at present this will change with the roll out of adsl2+ in June higher speeds further from the exchange.

• Advertisement

Adsl 2+ will require a telephone line with a low attenuation and a high SNR. The faster the speed required the lower the SNR becomes. If you go below and SNR of 6 you will not get a stable connection on ADSL 2+.

The great thing about ADSL 2+ is it is adaptive, so while Irishbroadband will be rolling out 24mb this will only be for those within .5km of the exchange, the further out you go the lower the speed you will get.

I know when I was 2.5km line length from the exchange I would get 12mb and 14mb with some SNR tweaking on the router.

Its important to remember that its not as the crow flies distance from the exchange but telephone line length. I have seen places where houses across the road from an exchange have a line length of over a km because of how the wires are routed.

For those of you who have DSL at the moment and are wondering if you can get ADSL 2+ you can check the SNR on your router info page. The higher the SNR the better the chances. But if your Attenuation is 32 or above you may not get it due to interference on the line. It is also worth noting that ADSL 2+ is heavily affected by such things as microwaves, fridge freezers and especially street lights. We used to get loads of compliants about dropping lines around dusk as the street lights came on. Any overhead wires put up the interefence from the lights.

I am surprised you cannot get higher than 2mb in Eden Gate but checking on it, it looks like Eden Gate has been connected into the lines running along the kilcoole road rather than connecting to the Charlesland sub network which is closer to the exchange.

Real B Man, feel free to PM me and I will help you check your line stats and see if Eircom is BSing you.

Advertisement