Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mick.fr Is a big scary bully help

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Much as I can take the usual frog-slagging / banter in good humor (and have done so for donkey's years here and in the UK, and elsewhere before that - I think I got "The Official I hate the French handbook" 3 xmas in a row), I find those 'French always surrender' -type jokes in particularly bad taste, firstly because much fighting was actually done in 39/40 and many died, secondly because just as many resisted there as there probably had been resisting the English Occupier here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

That's what makes it funny.

Troll much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

ambro25 wrote: »
    Much as I can take the usual frog-slagging / banter in good humor (and have done so for donkey's years here and in the UK, and elsewhere before that - I think I got "The Official I hate the French handbook" 3 xmas in a row), I find those 'French always surrender' -type jokes in particularly bad taste, firstly because much fighting was actually done in 39/40 and many died, secondly because just as many resisted there as there probably had been resisting the English Occupier here. So, throw on the garlic necklaces, the stripey t-shirts, etc, etc., but bear in mind that, to some at least, these 'I for one welcome our new <insert invader provenance> overlords' jokes based on the WWII occupation will be quite disrespectful - intentional p*sstake à la Irish or not.

Fair post.
    Some comments so far on the thread are legend though!! It's a great read! Especially the way Mick.fr keeps digging. I'm familiar with his work from the motors forum, where he frequently submits pointless posts that are often arrogant in nature, and is no stranger to slagging off our terrible country too. Pity he can't take slagging in return though. Also, pity he can't realise that this country isn't so bad as to force him to leave. If he's here for a long time then there must be something good!
    He's pure hard though. Rock, he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Pic of the "meeting" between mick & NTL:
    asterix3.jpg
    "Cela vous apprendra!"
    ("That'll learn ya!")

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

jetski wrote: »
    Come on da boys....

Ireland V France

Im talking bets if anyone is interested..... :o

i'll have a tenner on who ever ntbell gets to turn up

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I find those 'French always surrender' -type jokes in particularly bad taste, firstly because much fighting was actually done in 39/40 and many died, secondly because just as many resisted there as there probably had been resisting the English Occupier here.
    Don't forget about the way the English sank a few of the French boats without the French firing a shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,433 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Biro wrote: »
    I'm familiar with his work from the motors forum, where he frequently submits pointless posts that are often arrogant in nature, and is no stranger to slagging off our terrible country too. Pity he can't take slagging in return though

I'll just quote that for truth

the_syco wrote: »
    Don't forget about the way the English sank a few of the French boats without the French firing a shot!

I believe you're referring to Mers-El-Kebir in 1940. I had a great-uncle serving on one of said boats.

Very many sailors and officers intentionally disobeyed officers orders (from Vichy, which were to attack/retaliate), as they had decided to side with De Gaulle, whereby firing back would have meant weakening the Navy, which was the last bit of force available in the area (Med) to bully/harrass the Germans about.

They were suitably imprisoned, then freed when the area declard itself Free FR. The Free World can thank them for not firing back and knocking a few HMS ships off the Med (and thereby make the Nazis stronger by default at the time).

I believe you're referring to Mers-El-Kebir in 1940. I had a great-uncle serving on one of said boats.

Very many sailors and officers intentionally disobeyed officers orders (from Vichy, which were to attack/retaliate), as they had decided to side with De Gaulle, whereby firing back would have meant weakening the Navy, which was the last bit of force available in the area (Med) to bully/harrass the Germans about.

They were suitably imprisoned, then freed when the area declard itself Free FR. The Free World can thank them for not firing back and knocking a few HMS ships off the Med (and thereby make the Nazis stronger by default at the time).

If they were so brave,why didnt they join the english?

• Advertisement

If you're so interested, why don't you find out/Google it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

ntlbell wrote: »
    I know a field in Finglas.
    Wasn't that a Johny Cash song?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

NTLBELL v Mick.Fr (and his crazy stuffs)

So what happened in the end? I ran out of popcorn.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

NTLBELL v Mick.Fr (and his crazy stuffs)

So what happened in the end? I ran out of popcorn.....
    Everyone forgot about it...

almost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

they both backed out like little chickens...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I will meet everyone who posted on this thread in Dunsink Lane at 11 p.m. tonight, then we will see who the yellow cockerel belongs to. If I'm late, feel free to start without me.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement