Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Foreign cars

Options
  • 09-04-2008 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

Does this bother anyone. When your driving at night and a foreign car comes in your direction, because their lights are different as they drive on the opposite side of the road in their native country's, their lights blind you. should customs not have some policy to have thier lights changed to suit driving on the left hand side?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

It's never bothered me in the slightest... I guess a quick reallignment of the lights can't be too hard?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

In fairness its not just foreign reg cars, plenty of Irish cars driving around with one headlight not working, incorrectly alligned headlights or foglights on when there is no fog.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Most LHD cars use beam benders, the same as we use when bringing our cars abroad. The odd one doesn't, which bothers me about as much as our homegrown muppets-with-foglights.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

I find alot of cars have very strong low beams these days. maybe its just me though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

all true, but my point is should road safethy or whoever not make this a point to make foreign cars that are being used domesticaly for more than say 6 months get this done. A lot of peoples eyes are quite sensitive to other lights at night, i find it very hard to drive when an on coming car lights are beaming in on top of me.

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    The odd one doesn't, which bothers me about as much as our homegrown muppets-with-foglights.

On that point i make it my business to use my headlights then. I also use my heads when an on-coming car has only one headlight as i was nearly killed by an idiot with one light before.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

stevoman wrote: »
    all true, but my point is should road safethy or whoever not make this a point to make foreign cars that are being used domesticaly for more than say 6 months get this done. A lot of peoples eyes are quite sensitive to other lights at night, i find it very hard to drive when an on coming car lights are beaming in on top of me.

In the old days, when there still were strict border controls, you couldn't get into the UK off the ferry from France unless you had beam benders / black stickers on your LHD car's headlamps.

These days, there aren't any controls anymore (or not as many) ...so who's to enforce it?

peasant wrote: »
    In the old days, when there still were strict border controls, you couldn't get into the UK off the ferry from France unless you had beam benders / black stickers on your LHD car's headlamps.

These days, there aren't any controls anymore (or not as many) ...so who's to enforce it?

Customs at the harbours. Input onto a system when a car arrives in the country. If is has returned in 6 months follow it up. Thats what i think

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Never bothered much even though I see them quite a bit.
    Misaligned lights or damn bright blue-white ones can be more painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

On that point i make it my business to use my headlights then. I also use my heads when an on-coming car has only one headlight as i was nearly killed by an idiot with one light before.

Do you mean full headlights as in not dipped?!! Blinding the on-coming car?!

I had the unfortunate experience of coming out of work one of the dark evenings a couple of months ago to one light only working on the car. I had to drive home 45 mins on dark country roads. It's difficult to maintain visibility and I was nervous as a result. I think meeting you would have been extremely dangerous for both of us.

• Advertisement

Do you mean full headlights as in not dipped?!! Blinding the on-coming car?!

I had the unfortunate experience of coming out of work one of the dark evenings a couple of months ago to one light only working on the car. I had to drive home 45 mins on dark country roads. It's difficult to maintain visibility and I was nervous as a result. I think meeting you would have been extremely dangerous for both of us.

No i was going round a country road. It was veering right. A dickhead came racing round the corner in my direction with only one light, the left light of his car working. I couldnt judge as he was going so fast and i had only 50% visibiltiy of him. Both of us clipped and scraped the whole way down on each side.

Why 6 months? I'd make not using them subject to an on-the-spot fine, no exceptions. This should also be the case for non-functioning lights and incorrectly-used foglights.

No i was going round a country road. It was veering right. A dickhead came racing round the corner in my direction with only one light, the left light of his car working. I couldnt judge as he was going so fast and i had only 50% visibiltiy of him. Both of us clipped and scraped the whole way down on each side.

I wasn't talking about the accident, I was talking about the comment below:
    On that point i make it my business to use my headlights then.

I wasn't talking about the accident, I was talking about the comment below:

Yeah what im saying is from that point on, anyone that drives in my direction with only one light working, i use my headlights so as i can see their car properly. If they cant take the time to make their car road worthy and safe, i take the liberty to use my headlights so i can see the oncoming car more clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Yeah what im saying is from that point on, anyone that drives in my direction with only one light working, i use my headlights so as i can see their car properly. If they cant take the time to make their car road worthy and safe, i take the liberty to use my headlights so i can see the oncoming car more clearly.

And multiply the risk of blinding them that much more, as to increase the chances of an accident several-fold... class, well done :rolleyes:

ambro25 wrote: »
    And multiply the risk of blinding them that much more, as to increase the chances of an accident several-fold... class, well done :rolleyes:

it'l not be me that hits him for lack of vision of his car though. so cheers;)

That is close to sickening ... I had no choice but to drive that evening with one light. It was after 6, nowhere to go only home. Unfortunately I drive a bad road every day. It was a once off. How do you know if these people aren't in the same situation?! It's by no means easy to drive with one light, without being dazzled by someone like you. I can't believe that someone would deliberately drive towards an on-coming car with full headlights on..

The driver is already struggling with visibility because of the light malfunction! As ambro25 said, You are increasing the chance of an accident ten fold !!!!!!!!!! who cares who is at fault, it's still an accident and both parties have a likelihood to be hurt!!!!!

That is close to sickening ... I had no choice but to drive that evening with one light. It was after 6, nowhere to go only home. Unfortunately I drive a bad road every day. It was a once off. How do you know if these people aren't in the same situation?! It's by no means easy to drive with one light, without being dazzled by someone like you. I can't believe that someone would deliberately drive towards an on-coming car with full headlights on..

well yeah i would and any amounts of posts on boards wont change my mind on the subject. as i said i was lucky enough to be alive, no thanks to some fool with on light so what do i care about anyone who drives with one light? nothing:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

But it will be him that hits you, after you've blinded him to the extent that he may lose any spatial reference: same result, you're both dead. So cheers indeed :rolleyes:

You've obviously thought this through very carefully: since the oncoming pr*ck is driving with only one headlight, his pupil is that little bit more dilated to accomodate the extra darkness caused by the absence of the second headlight, so his vision will require that little bit longer to adjust (both pupils to retract) and, giving out full beams instead of running lights, will actually cause severe ghosting on his retinas for a while... that'll teach the f*cker, won't it?

I'm afraid to say, that belongs in the same category as the vigilante drivers who decide to swerve onto the overtaking lane of motorways to force fast-approaching speeding cars to emergency-brake, or those vigilante drivers who accelerate while they're being overtaken because noone should drive over the limit, at which they stick religiously... Darwin Awards ftw indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

stevoman, please report yourself to the guards for causing danger to other road users. It's an offence to blind others (much less than driving with just one light in my opinion).

• Advertisement

well yeah i would and any amounts of posts on boards wont change my mind on the subject. as i said i was lucky enough to be alive, no thanks to some fool with on light so what do i care about anyone who drives with one light? nothing:pac:

good luck to you... and anyone that meets you on the roads.

That is close to sickening ... I had no choice but to drive that evening with one light. It was after 6, nowhere to go only home. Unfortunately I drive a bad road every day. It was a once off. How do you know if these people aren't in the same situation?!
    I don't agree with what stevoman did, but this is pure rubbish. Leaving aside for a moment the fact that you weren't carrying spare bulbs, you chose to drive an unroadworthy car. If your brakes failed after 6, would you keep driving?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

I Think un Calobarated aftermarket HID's are the worst offenders tbh!

Anan1 wrote: »
    I don't agree with what stevoman did, but this is pure rubbish. Leaving aside for a moment the fact that you weren't carrying spare bulbs, you chose to drive an unroadworthy car. If your brakes failed after 6, would you keep driving?

I don't carry spare bulbs, because it is next to impossible to replace them. When I had daylight the following morning I took it to the dealer to replace and went to work late. There was a thread on here recently about how ridiculously hard it is to replace a light bulb on some cars, and that it most certainly is.

I had no other way home, it was that or stay in the car at work .......

I didn't go out of my way like stevoman, to delibrately do something that might cause on-oming drivers to be dazzled under already difficult visibility.

I didn't go out of my way like stevoman, to delibrately do something that might cause on-oming drivers to be dazzled under already difficult visibility.

Nevertheless, i dont put a car on the road that isnt road worthy.

Nevertheless, i dont put a car on the road that isnt road worthy.

Seriously man, you're like a broken record ..... come back when YOU are road worthy.

Seriously man, you're like a broken record ..... come back when YOU are road worthy.

No, YOU come back when YOU are Road worthy.... man

No, YOU come back when YOU are Road worthy.... man

*yawns ..... *

Let's agree to differ.

*yawns ..... *

Let's agree to differ.

agreed ;)

• Advertisement

I don't carry spare bulbs, because it is next to impossible to replace them. When I had daylight the following morning I took it to the dealer to replace and went to work late. There was a thread on here recently about how ridiculously hard it is to replace a light bulb on some cars, and that it most certainly is.

I had no other way home, it was that or stay in the car at work .......

Eh, you chose to drive an unsafe & unroadworthy car, in the full knowledge that you were endangering both yourself and others.

Advertisement