Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Foreign cars

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Anan1 wrote: »
    Eh, you chose to drive an unsafe & unroadworthy car, in the full knowledge that you were endangering both yourself and others.

Eh, I had no choice. I didn't take out the bulb. Realistically, if you were 45 mins drive from home, with no other way of getting there and no way of getting the problem fixed. What would you have done?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Eh, I had no choice.
    Are you having a laugh? Of course you had a choice. And you chose to drive with one light.

Are you having a laugh? Of course you had a choice. And you chose to drive with one light.

That's why I said this:
    Realistically, if you were 45 mins drive from home, with no other way of getting there and no way of getting the problem fixed. What would you have done?

Let's face it... anyone in the same situation would have done the same thing as I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭maidhc

Come on, big deal. Most modern lights are plenty bright enough even when one bulb is blown. Also most cars have a marker bulb so at least you can see the dimensions of the car if driven with a blown bulb.

Let's face it... anyone in the same situation would have done the same thing as I did.
    A bulb failure is hardly an unforseeable occurrence - I carry spare bulbs, and would have changed the bulb. The point you don't seem to get is that your particular excuse doesn't make what you did one jot less dangerous. For you to admit to this and in the same thread berate stevoman takes one seriously big brass neck.

• Advertisement

A bulb failure is hardly an unforseeable occurrence - I carry spare bulbs, and would have changed the bulb. The point you don't seem to get is that your particular excuse doesn't make what you did one jot less dangerous. For you to admit to this and in the same thread berate stevoman takes one seriously big brass neck.

Anan1, for a guy that seems to know it all ... you should read my previous posts again, like this one for example:
    I don't carry spare bulbs, because it is next to impossible to replace them. When I had daylight the following morning I took it to the dealer to replace and went to work late. There was a thread on here recently about how ridiculously hard it is to replace a light bulb on some cars, and that it most certainly is.

I had no other way home, it was that or stay in the car at work .......

I didn't go out of my way like stevoman, to delibrately do something that might cause on-oming drivers to be dazzled under already difficult visibility.

I had no other option. Anyone in the same boat would have done the same thing. Simple as.
    The point you don't seem to get is that your particular excuse doesn't make what you did one jot less dangerous.

I know 100% that it is dangerous. The same as driving on your spare can be dangerous. The same as getting in a fully functional "road worthy" car is dangerous.

The reason I mentioned this was because, it wasn't a pleasant drive home by any means, and if i met that other poster, who refused to dim his lights. It would have been EXTREME DANGER as a result, and would increase the chance of an accident by multiples.

I had no other option. Anyone in the same boat would have done the same thing. Simple as.
    Bollox. Ever heard of a cab? Lift? AA? You can huff & puff as much as you want, but the fact remains that you chose to drive a car with only one headlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Eh, you chose to drive an unsafe & unroadworthy car, in the full knowledge that you were endangering both yourself and others.

In your opinion what is more dangerous, an oncoming car with a blown bulb or an oncoming car with both bulbs intact on full beams?

I know what I would prefer, and its not the full beams!

[HUFF & PUFF]
    Bollox. Ever heard of a cab?

45 mins drive home: approx €50 - €80 maybe? Plus, the next day to get to work again.
    Lift?

45 mins drive home... nobody going my way. Not asking someone to drive 1 1/2 hours to get me and 1 1/2 hours the next day.
    AA?

Not a member.

I'm talking about my own personal circumstances that day. I had NO OTHER CHOICE.

[/HUFF & PUFF]

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭Esel

stevoman wrote: »
    well yeah i would and any amounts of posts on boards wont change my mind on the subject. as i said i was lucky enough to be alive, no thanks to some fool with on light so what do i care about anyone who drives with one light? nothing:pac:
    You should introduce one side of your brain to the other. Then see what happens......'Jeez, were we that stupid?'

On the one half-brain, you complain about being 'blinded' by the dipped headlights of a LHD car. The other half chimes in to say that you happily blind oncoming vehicles which only have one headlight.

I hope you meet a hairy, sex-starved Hell's Angel on your travels. If he survives your half-brained blinding, he just might turn around with the intention of 'educating' you.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

I think you may be confusing 'I HAD NO OTHER CHOICE' with 'It would have been less than convenient for me', no?

I think you may be confusing 'I HAD NO OTHER CHOICE' with 'It would have been less than convenient for me', no?

Ah forget about it.... I nor anyone else in their right mind would pay 50-80 euro each way for a taxi, or call a Friend to drive three hours out of the goodness of their heart. They'd get in the bloody car and drive home.

Ah forget about it.... I nor anyone else in their right mind would pay 50-80 euro each way for a taxi, or call a Friend to drive three hours out of the goodness of their heart. They'd get in the bloody car and drive home.
    Last time I heard that line, it was coming out of the mouth of a drunk driver. Grow up and take some responsibility for your actions.

Last time I heard that line, it was coming out of the mouth of a drunk driver. Grow up and take some responsibility for your actions.

I have never had a drink and driven in my life. You're scraping the bottom of the barrell with your argument now... I'm gonna leave this thread be, unless someone decides to have something constructive to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭maidhc

In fairness Anan, its a blown bulb we are talking about. Jeez, the two headlamps in my Capri are not as stong as one in my focus. I know that because I drove home from work with... wait for it... a blown low beam bulb... the other night. Not something worth getting hot over!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

esel wrote: »

I hope you meet a hairy, sex-starved Hell's Angel on your travels. If she survives your half-brained blinding, she just might turn around with the intention of 'educating' you.

Well just just let me know when your ma is around on her bike and i'l keep an eye out for her.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Im sorry but high horses, come on and get down off them!

Elviscostello did what every other person would do, now to comopare this guy to a drunk driver is a bit ehhh, well unrelistic!
    He judged the situation it was his judgement call, if some idiot came along going around the corner too fast to take it and crashed into him, would it be his fault or the fault of the person speeding. Think about the answer? i know who i would blame.

and also i would rather drive towards somebody minus a bulb then a person with full beams on, what are they hiding from you beyond there crazy bright lights

I once had a bulb blow on me while up a mountain, i didn't have spare bulbs or the tools to change it, i was miles away form anybody i had to drive home and change it the next day, which was a bitch. I couldn't have done it in the dark.

Now back to the OPs question, yeah LHD cars lights are annoying as annoying as misaligned lights or those bluish/white xeon lights.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You should introduce one side of your brain to the other. Then see what happens......'Jeez, were we that stupid?'

On the one half-brain, you complain about being 'blinded' by the dipped headlights of a LHD car. The other half chimes in to say that you happily blind oncoming vehicles which only have one headlight.

I hope you meet a hairy, sex-starved Hell's Angel on your travels. If he survives your half-brained blinding, he just might turn around with the intention of 'educating' you.
    stevoman wrote: »
    Well just just let me know when your ma is around on her bike and i'l keep an eye out for her.;)
    Both of you, be nice! :rolleyes:

cabrwab wrote: »
    Im sorry but high horses, come on and get down off them! Elviscostello did what every other person did, now to comopare this guy to a drunk driver is a bit ehhh, well unrelistic!

In fairness to he on the horse of highness.... is right. In an ideal situation, we'd be able to change a bulb, just like we would a tyre. But, unfortunately, manufacturers don't make it too easy for us to change it with ease.

The only reason I was getting so worked up was because, by this guys reckoning, if he came back to his car late at night, 45 mins from home, and somebody had done a 'hit and run' on his wing mirror and it was in 23 pieces on the pavement, that he would leave it parked there and find one of many ways home. It's simply not true, and he just got too deep in his argument, to the point of comparing me to a drunk driver.

In fairness to he on the horse of highness.... is right. In an ideal situation, we'd be able to change a bulb, just like we would a tyre. But, unfortunately, manufacturers don't make it too easy for us to change it with ease.

The only reason I was getting so worked up was because, by this guys reckoning, if he came back to his car late at night, 45 mins from home, and somebody had done a 'hit and run' on his wing mirror and it was in 23 pieces on the pavement, that he would leave it parked there and find one of many ways home. It's simply not true, and he just got too deep in his argument, to the point of comparing me to a drunk driver.
    I never compared either you or your actions to those of a drunk driver, just your excuse. My point is and has always been that you chose to drive with one headlight. Stop trying to bullsh1t us that you had no choice, and we'll all get along just fine.;)

• Advertisement

I never compared either you or your actions to those of a drunk driver, just your excuse. My point is and has always been that you chose to drive with one headlight. Stop trying to bullsh1t us that you had no choice, and we'll all get along just fine.;)

I'm sorry, I know I said I was going to leave this thread alone, but you are just incredibly OTT with your responses. You disagreed, which is fair enough, but you just wont back down and continue to make these ridiculous statements.

Considering you only pick and choose what you reply to, can you please please please respond to the below scenario:
    by this guys reckoning, if he came back to his car late at night, 45 mins from home, and somebody had done a 'hit and run' on his wing mirror and it was in 23 pieces on the pavement, that he would leave it parked there and find one of many ways home.

Is that what you'd do?!

I'm sorry, I know I said I was going to leave this thread alone, but you are just incredibly OTT with your responses. You disagreed, which is fair enough, but you just wont back down and continue to make these ridiculous statements.

Considering you only pick and choose what you reply to, can you please please please respond to the below scenario: Originally Posted by elviscostello
    by this guys reckoning, if he came back to his car late at night, 45 mins from home, and somebody had done a 'hit and run' on his wing mirror and it was in 23 pieces on the pavement, that he would leave it parked there and find one of many ways home.

Is that what you'd do?!
    Sure. I'd make a decision, and stand over it like a man. If I chose to drove, i'd take responsibility for my own actions. What I wouldn't do is whimper afterwards about having 'had no choice'. Is that clear enough for you?

Sure. I'd make a decision, and stand over it like a man. If I chose to drove, i'd take responsibility for my own actions. What I wouldn't do is whimper afterwards about having 'had no choice'. Is that clear enough for you?

What do you think I've been doing for the last couple of pages on this thread?!!!! Standing over my decision!!! I never said anything that would suggest that I was saying that it's ok to do, and by saying i 'had no choice' i clearly meant that I either drove home or stayed there, no other options were, well, really options. Do you get it now????!!!!!! After all that, you've just said that you would consider driving a car without a wing mirror, which would also make it non road worthy. So please please please please get down off your bloody high horse and stop preaching at me! PLEASE !!!

What do you think I've been doing for the last couple of pages on this thread?!!!! Standing over my decision!!!
    I had no choice but to drive that evening with one light.

As my grandfather used to say, you'd make a cat laugh.;)

As my grandfather used to say, you'd make a cat laugh.;)

I'm surprised you can remember the full 5 words your grandfather used to say, as you seem to only get so far in to reading something and stop to finish it off in your own head.

If you look at the two posts you quoted in full, you'll notice they paint an entirely different picture to the one you try to suggest:
    I had no choice but to drive that evening with one light. It was after 6, nowhere to go only home. Unfortunately I drive a bad road every day. It was a once off. How do you know if these people aren't in the same situation?! It's by no means easy to drive with one light, without being dazzled by someone like you. I can't believe that someone would deliberately drive towards an on-coming car with full headlights on..
    What do you think I've been doing for the last couple of pages on this thread?!!!! Standing over my decision!!! I never said anything that would suggest that I was saying that it's ok to do, and by saying i 'had no choice' i clearly meant that I either drove home or stayed there, no other options were, well, really options. Do you get it now????!!!!!! After all that, you've just said that you would consider driving a car without a wing mirror, which would also make it non road worthy. So please please please please get down off your bloody high horse and stop preaching at me! PLEASE !!!

You're not going to win an argument by posting half arsed quotes to construct something to argue against. You really need to let this one go and admit that there are worse things than driving once off with a blown bulb... like, for instance, blinding an on-coming driver by not dipping full beams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

[Rant on]
    I don't really what to get dragged into this, and probably won't be responding to Anan1's qoute in the next thread, but in fairness, ive seen a lot of Anan1's responses to threads and 99% of them are the same as this , OTT or sensational, trying to rise people by quoting back what other people say.

Get off your high horse, are you Mr. perfect or something? have you ever speeded?, parked illegally?, overtaken on a continuous white line?
    [Rant off]

If i was on a small country road and one of my main headlights blew (i do carry spares btw) i would consider stopping on a country road to be dangerous and might cause an accident, it is not law to carry spare bulbs in this country, it is in others. The difference is i would change it at the next lay by or were its safe to do so.

Theres also a matter of non petrol heads been able to change a main headlamp bulb, i would say 70% wouldn't know how to.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Im resisting temptation to close this. If people aren't nicer to each other, then I will!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Just put Anal1 on 'ignore', Elvis. :)

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

kbannon wrote: »
    Im resisting temptation to close this. If people aren't nicer to each other, then I will!

Thunderdome FTW:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Just put Anal1 on 'ignore', Elvis. :)

PMSL :D

Advertisement