Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goalscoring Chart Summer 2008

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

See :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

DesF wrote: »
    See :D

:eek::eek: abuse of power.
    Im off to feedback to start a complaint thread :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

:eek::eek: abuse of power.
    Im off to feedback to start a complaint thread :pac:

what, mods abuse their power? never...never i tell you :D *

dont worry Shay, if you ever score, i promise to start a full thread on it and ask Des to make it a sticky.

*not talking about des here by the way.

what, mods abuse their power? never...never i tell you :D *

*not talking about des here by the way.

I have to agree...I have 2 bannings in the last 2 weeks in the soccer forum from a moderator who shall remain nameless.

thanx4 your time :pac:

I have to agree...I have 2 bannings in the last 2 weeks in the soccer forum from a moderator who shall remain nameless.

thanx4 your time :pac:
    Remember lads, the Soccer mods are mods in here too ;)

• Advertisement

I have 2 bannings in the last 2 weeks.

disgraceful behaviour from a member of our police force. you should be a pillar of society, not a master of havoc.

lol @ Shay.

The amount of "+1" you posted that night was insane.:D

DesF wrote: »
    lol @ Shay.

The amount of "+1" you posted that night was insane.:D

It was a great night, ill gratefully use up my final infraction if we win the Champions league :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

well lads, sometimes we can all get carried away with goals scorers and say oh look, he aint scored, he is playin s**te!!

Ed to be honest I don't think that's true for the vast majority of players in our squad. In 4 seasons I've only ever once heard anyone pass comment on another player's goalscoring rate or overall contribution.

This team was founded on the notion that the good of the team goes ahead of that of any particular player and also that no player should ever be criticised for failing when they try to do the right thing and only get grief for doing/trying the wrong thing (which is the mantra I repeat most weeks). I think we largely do very well against both of those goals, though I have always thought that publishing a goalscoring chart risks the first of those principles, and that includes during the 2-2.5 seasons I was leading it. At that time I accepted the consensus that tracking goalscoring was inevitable but I don't see any real need for tracking assists - it can be pretty misleading and only tells half the story = my vote is against it.

At the end of the day, I can see for myself who is playing well, who isn't, who is pulling their weight, who isn't.

It's how I pick the team, it's how I've always I said I pick the team.

Players are in the side on merit.

Having said that, I have no real issue with lists being kept tbh. But I won't be checking it every tuesday afternoon to see who has the most assists.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Don't see any harm in it at all tbh.

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Don't see any harm in it at all tbh.

yep, its only all a bit of fun really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Yeh a bit of competition is healthy even as part of the team mentality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Comments like "he aint scored, he is playin s**te!! " don't inspire confidence that it's just for fun but if that's a misinterpretation on my part, which it may well be, then fair enough.

Personally I think tracking assists is just too misleading to be useful - if a lad plays a simple ball to Messi 30 yards out and he then beats 3 men and finishes that initial pass hardly created the goal. If that fella had done the beating of the 3 men himself and then laid it off for a tap-in, that assist was a bigger deal. If that fella missed the tap-in your man had still done his bit.

Dave had a blinder last night and played quality balls that should have led to goals at least 4 times but none of those were converted - for me the assists table is meaningless cos it can't reflect that, but if it's just for the craic of tracking it then I get it and fair enough.

Advertisement