Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows XP Home.

• 09-04-2008 12:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭

Ok, I have a no name machine which has a genuine Windows XP Home key but I don't have the original windows that came with it.

I do have a Dell XP Home disc from an old Dell machine.

Can I use this disc with the key from the no name PC to install XP Home on the no name PC?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Ok, I have a no name machine which has a genuine Windows XP Home key but I don't have the original windows that came with it.

I do have a Dell XP Home disc from an old Dell machine.

Can I use this disc with the key from the no name PC to install XP Home on the no name PC?

-

Yes you can as long as the genuine cd key you have is for the same version of XP that's on the Dell CD (ie. OEM version & not Retail).

The Dell Cd won't ask for a product key when installing and it will fail activation. When it fails it will give you an option to enter a different product key (this is where you enter your own key) and then should activate normally. If by chance it doesn't, you can ring the free phone number in the activation to do it manually.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Dell and other branded OEM CD's check against BIOS of the motherboard and so it probably won't install on clone motherboards of other brands.

Dell and other branded OEM CD's check against BIOS of the motherboard and so it probably won't install on clone motherboards of other brands.

It will install fine. I've got Dell (and a couple of HP) OEM copies of all the different windows versions and use them all the time on different machines. As I type there's a Dell version of XP Home installing on a 4 year old Toshiba Satelite laptop.:)
    It only checks the BIOS for a product key, thats all.

The branded recovery discs are another story though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

which colour Dell XP CD is that , I tried PRO a while back and it just gave two fingers to a sony :(

Purple for XPH SP2, XPH SP1a is brown, XPP SP2 is green and XPMCE is red.

All work fine (bar activation) for me on other brands. Did a Sony not too long ago with a Dell XPH, weird.
    Where during the install did it fail?

• Advertisement

On boot up :(
    some crappy message about it not being a Dell and exiting setup

Advertisement