Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motorists face monthly fee for M50 toll device

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

What happens if you're not a regular M50 user.

And aren't the people who run the M50 a private company? What rights have they to my personal details from the state based on the reg number of my car?

And what if someone clones my plate? How do I prove that it wasn't me?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

What about foreign regged cars? Can they just pass through?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I live about 5 miles from the M50 toll bridge and have managed to avoid using it for 8 years now. I find it's usually quicker to go "back roads".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

JHMEG wrote: »
    I live about 5 miles from the M50 toll bridge and have managed to avoid using it for 8 years now. I find it's usually quicker to go "back roads".

+1 Most times I find the back roads are quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I rarely use the M50 toll bridge, only when travelling to the airport. I find it a SCANDAL that any user of the M50 will have to pay a toll now to use any part of the M50.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

Any part:eek::eek: how much ??

Sorry cant see that link, something wrong with my PC:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

DonJose wrote: »
    I rarely use the M50 toll bridge, only when travelling to the airport. I find it a SCANDAL that any user of the M50 will have to pay a toll now to use any part of the M50.

I must be missing something. Where does it say you must pay a toll on the M50 other than at the bridge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Can anyone tell me what happens with foreign vehicles ?? I'm going to be driving my bike from Germany to Ireland for a couple of weeks in the summer. I'd have no where to put a device on the bike and I'm not buying it for a couple of weeks use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

That is a complete joke imo, you have to have a special "box" in your car, its like a sketch from simpsons or something but in real life.

Also, I couldn't see from the article where the "monitors" or whatever they are called to check if your car was on the m50 will be located? Will there be loads of them or just on the toll bridge instead of barriers?

What about people like myself who use only a tiny part of the m50? and surely there should be higher charges for certain times of the day(eg rush hour) and small charges for people who use it during quieter times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

JHMEG wrote: »
    Omcd wrote: »
    +1 Most times I find the back roads are quicker.

Here in lies the problem - I live in Castleknock and the place is jammed up, alot of the traffic undoubtedly is folk trying to avoid the tolls etc
    (I don't blame them) - but its proof that the toll bridge needs to be abolished - we motorists have well paid for the f*ckin thing it's a disgrace !

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Have you a link for that ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Here in lies the problem - I live in Castleknock and the place is jammed up, alot of the traffic undoubtedly is folk trying to avoid the tolls etc !
    I don't live in Dublin but I need to make occasional trips up there for business reasons. My usual destination means that the logical thing should be to use the M50 with my employer paying the toll. In practice it's less awkward to rat-run through the back roads of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Do you know something we don't :eek:

Cause according to the NRA there will still just be one tolling point..

http://www.nra.ie/News/PressReleases/htmltext,10469,en.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

KTRIC wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what happens with foreign vehicles ??

I would imagine it will be a free for all with foreign vehicles....

Sure a garda can not even check now many penalty points are on your licence... or given your reg he can't check if you even have a valid licence.... so i hardly see them chasing after people for toll money...

Also i guess the non payment of the toll would be a civil mater so wouldn't involve the gardi anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

Do you know something we don't :eek:

Cause according to the NRA there will still just be one tolling point..

http://www.nra.ie/News/PressReleases/htmltext,10469,en.html

wahoo! excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

I remember reading somewhere when the barrier free tolling was first mentioned that it was the intention to toll the entire m50. I got the impression you'd be charged different amounts for different using different lengths so the whole m50 = full toll a could of exits would get a lower amount.

I'd be well pissed if the entire m50 is tolled as if I don’t use the m50 it triples my journey but I only need to use one stretch, Kilternan to cherrywood so I’d be pissed having to pay to use that stretch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

no mention of bikes either so will bikes be free.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

And will these Charges get rid of the ridiculous traffic jams?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Here in lies the problem - I live in Castleknock and the place is jammed up, alot of the traffic undoubtedly is folk trying to avoid the tolls etc
    (I don't blame them) - but its proof that the toll bridge needs to be abolished - we motorists have well paid for the f*ckin thing it's a disgrace !

Could well be. Tho the old N4 is nice and quiet now that the ripoff €2.70 a pop M4 Toll has opened.

I drove 800 motorway miles across the UK last summer, and didn't encounter a single toll. Essential national infrastructure is not tolled there. (Don't start about "ya but the dole is higher here")

Advertisement