Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

pre-NCT questions...

Options
  • 09-04-2008 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭

1. My spare tyre is a different size to the 4 that are in use. It's of perfectly legal standards with good thread and no pressure loss etc. My main tyres are 195/65x15's, whereas the spare is a 195/55x15. It's minor, but I can't put a 65x15 into the space in the boot - It's that tight already.

What should I do? Leave it out altogether? Or is it mandatory to carry a spare for the NCT test purposes?

2. My headlights need adjustment. They don't blind anyone and illuminate the road just fine, but I know the offside (drivers) side unit is perhaps a little far to the left (towards the kerb), and that adjusting it will probably throw the vertical out a bit too....

I'd bring it in to have it adjusted, but I've been told the adjusters are broken and was pushed to swap the entire lamp units. That's crap, I can adjust them just fine, but don't know the target guidelines for angles etc. Can anyone refer me to a suitable resource to find out what's acceptable?

The car is a 97 V40 in otherwise great condition.

Thanks all,

Gil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

For the spare, you don't have to have one, and chances are they won't read the tyre size of the spare.

As for your lights, get a friend whose car has recently passed the NCT. Park their car facing a blank wall about 10 feet from the wall, and turn on the lights. Mark on the wall where the beams appear to be focused, then move their car and park yours where it was. Adjust your beams until they focus on the mark on the wall.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

clever trick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Thanks Fey! but that won't work....

Not unless I can find someone else with a Mk1 S40/V40 that's just passed the test, as other cars headlight height will vary....The vertical aspect would be thrown well out if I were to use, for example, a 106 or a Micra.....

Thanks anyway though - Good thinking there,

Gil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i focus my lights against a wall for every nct and always pass thats without using another car as a guide

its not rocket science

down a bit and to the left

• Registered Users Posts: 13 QPDB9

I failed the NCT in Deansgrange because one of my wheels was on the wrong side of the car.

no joke!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Can i be failed for not having runflat tyres on my car as per the spec? I changed back to regular tyres recently as runflats were destroying the ride comfort...

It does say on the NCT website that they will check your spare wheel and the spare wheel carrier...

http://www.ncts.ie/inspection_list.html##3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

@RBD = Thanks anyway, but you were just lucky in my books. If you don't do the math you can't actually say whether or not the point of focus and dispersal of light falls within the specifications. Have a look at page 40 or thereabouts in the NCT testers manual for more information....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

QPDB9 wrote: »
    I failed the NCT in Deansgrange because one of my wheels was on the wrong side of the car.

no joke!
    Your were failed for having a directional tyre fitted the wrong way around. That's a very valid safety issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Bendihorse wrote: »
    It does say on the NCT website that they will check your spare wheel and the spare wheel carrier...

http://www.ncts.ie/inspection_list.html##3
    That short list can be quite misleading. Always refer to the manual (PDF). It correctly lists the checks which are all related to the storage/mounting of the wheel:

1. Examine the spare wheel carrier, if fitted, for security of attachment to vehicle.
    2. Examine the mounting points and the structure of the carrier to see that they are free from fractures.
    3. If there is a spare wheel in the carrier check that this is securely held in the carrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Gil_Dub wrote: »
    Thanks Fey! but that won't work....

Not unless I can find someone else with a Mk1 S40/V40 that's just passed the test, as other cars headlight height will vary....The vertical aspect would be thrown well out if I were to use, for example, a 106 or a Micra.....

Thanks anyway though - Good thinking there,

Gil

Get car will well set lights, Park tight to wall and mark height of light, park 6-7 metres from wall and mark light height again, You now have the amount dropped over a given distance.
    Repeat with your car and set to same drop over same distance. Do likewise with sideways setting and it will be pretty close

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Lots of cars have smaller spare wheels, it would be pretty hard to put a spare 16" or bigger wheel into the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 madbaz

My Rev Counter isnt working. Will i still pass the nct? the speedometer works fine.
    And do any of you know of any common problems with the rev counter and how to fix them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Tachometer is not required - look at the manual posted above. Don't need a working fuel or temperature gauge either :)

Advertisement