Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling milestone

Options
  • 09-04-2008 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

I hit a cycling milestone today that I had hoped I'd never reach,
    a van cut across the road in front of me and i went straight into the side of it, luckily enough I got away with a bruised chest and shoulder and a couple of stitches on my chin, I dread to think what would have happened if I had hit that spot a few seconds earlier or if I wasn't wearing my helmet

Just wondering whats the liklihood that my bike's frame will be wrecked, haven't seen it yet so not sure of the damage, the garda dropped it into work for me.

Also can I claim for the repairs to my bike from the van guy, its an scr 4 that I got about 8 weeks ago so fairly p*ssed about that but happy that I'm ok obviously

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Jees, you were very lucky.

How did the van driver react? I'm sure he'll be liable for all expenses .....

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭goose06

he called an ambulance straight away and luckily enough there was a squad car in traffic nearby they were on the scene pretty quickly, got a bit embarrassing after that, ended up having a squad car, 2 ambulances(one was passing by transporting patients to another hospital) and a fire engine on the scene, hopefully I wasn't holding them from any real emergencies.
    In fairness to the guy he looked more in shock than I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

goose06 wrote: »
    In fairness to the guy he looked more in shock than I did.
    Don't let this reaction soften your attitude - it was dangerous driving that cause property damage. You should insist that your bike is fixed, possibly even replaced as a precaution. Then you can decided whether you should receive compensation for injuries or missed work.

I would consider asking that the Gardai charge the driver with at least careless driving, possibly even dangerous driving. It'll be the best way for him to learn and he'll probably tell his friends to be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I’d be looking for a replacement bike if it has any damage tbh. Also if u miss any work get that covered. Any medical fees too. The ambulance will be a fee I’d imagine at the very least?

a friend of mine missed two weeks work after a garda creamed him and wrecked the bike and preceded to blame him eventhough she was in wrong. He was crapping it as he was in shock but another driver saw it all happen. Unfortunately his conscious got the better of him and he just claimed bike and 2 weeks work that he missed (he was in bits) but he shud have thought her a lesson. She basically intimidated him being a garda which was bad form. Someone like that shud have been screwed

Glad to hear ur ok though. ?I nearly got creamed by an old hag yesterday in the park i had right of way and she basically ran a stop sign and almost got me and then she had the cheek to give out to me (obviosuly she didnt se the stop sign). I unfortunately didnt have time to stop and explain her wrong doing but i think she got the message once she looked up to the sign i was pointing at!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I know it's terrible, but more than once, I've wished that the person flying out of the housing estate or the person who didn't check their mirrors when turning left actually knocked me down (just a tap though!)

It might just teach them the lesson that might just save a cyclist's life sometime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭goose06

yeah i'll bring the bike back to cyclesuperstores and see what they think of it, if they reckon it should be scrapped I'll be looking for a new one.
    As far as I know it'll be the Garda that will press charges if they deem it was dangerous driving, I'll check that out once they contact me.

I've had that experience around stop signs a few times now, never nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

good to hear you're all right.
    Don't forget you are supposed to replace a helmet after a crash too, so make sure that the driver pays up for that too....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Studoc

Sorry to hear that but glad you ok. Got knocked off myself a few weeks ago and the bike was written off. Bike and helmet replacement are the least you should get. Take a couple of days, get yourself checked over again by a doctor and then decide what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Dude, don't be afraid to get the bike replaced. The driver's insurance will cover it and plenty more besides (though you will need documentation from the shop/mechanic). I'm not saying you should shaft the insurance company - not at all - but don't let the driver's contrition get in the way of you being fully compensated.

Also, bear in mind that is EXTREMELY common in the insurance business for the instigator of an accident to change their attitude after the fact e.g. when faced with an increased insurance premium or questions from a Garda.

In general, keep receipts for all bills - medical, bike-related and anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

kenmc wrote: »
    Don't forget you are supposed to replace a helmet after a crash too

QFT. Its been mentioned twice now, doesnt hurt mentioning it again.

I got hit about 2 months ago, someone pulling out of an estate. Get the helmet replaced, and once the bike is fixed/replaced, try and get back on it asap. I was back on it after a week and even two months on i cant help but slow down when i see a car waiting to pull out of a side road. Good to hear your alright

• Advertisement
Advertisement