Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting change ?

Options
  • 09-04-2008 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

Hey !

So I have lots of change I want to convert to nice hard paper cash. I'm lazy and don't want to have to count it all out. Apart from the machines in shops that take around 10% of your money, do any of the banks have machines like this where I just pour the coins into and get paper out of ?

Gav

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Bag it in the proper coin bags, go to your local bank at the least busiest times. ie mid morning, do not go during lunch or close to closing time. Do not bring in half bags or mixed bags and you should have no problems getting it changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭Blackjack

You Could buy a coin counter. I've seen sterling ones on Ebay, not sure about Euro ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Count it and bag it and take it to the bank. Some banks do charge for swapping it over though. Just like the Coinstar machines lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

As above. It's cheaper in the long run. TBH there is nothing more annoying having to count out change for customers. Bag it and everything should be fine.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Bag it up properly, and bring it to the nearest branch of your own bank. Some banks will charge you to change coin if you do not hold an account with them, and some banks will just refuse to do it point blank. If your branch tells you they don't change coin for notes, just lodge the coin into your account and take the same amount out straight away. Just make sure it's all bagged up properly though, otherwise you'll most likely have a cranky cashier and a long line of cranky customers waiting behind you! :pac:

• Advertisement

Toots85 wrote: »
    Bag it up properly, and bring it to the nearest branch of your own bank. Some banks will charge you to change coin if you do not hold an account with them, and some banks will just refuse to do it point blank. If your branch tells you they don't change coin for notes, just lodge the coin into your account and take the same amount out straight away. Just make sure it's all bagged up properly though, otherwise you'll most likely have a cranky cashier and a long line of cranky customers waiting behind you! :pac:

Absolutly LOL. :)

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

stepbar wrote: »
    Absolutly LOL. :)

And for the love of God, don't go in at ten to four on a friday evening, believe me, nobody will thank you for it!

And for the love of God, don't go in at ten to four on a friday evening, believe me, nobody will thank you for it!

Absolutly the heads would be rolling TBH :)

Or they might just tell you to come back on Monday. I know in our branch, the head cashier deals with all the coin and she usually closes up at about ten or fifteen minutes before closing time, as she has such a huge amount of cash to count and it takes longer. We had a customer in on friday evening with two Tesco bag for life's full of coin, and we just told him he'd have to come back. He wasn't too impressed, but we explained that all that coin would have to be weighed and then sorted and the cashier that does that is closed. TBH, if you really have loads and loads of coin, give your branch a ring and ask them what would be the best time to bring it in, that way you won't have to stand in a queue at peak time with armfulls of coin anyway!:)

Or they might just tell you to come back on Monday. I know in our branch, the head cashier deals with all the coin and she usually closes up at about ten or fifteen minutes before closing time, as she has such a huge amount of cash to count and it takes longer. We had a customer in on friday evening with two Tesco bag for life's full of coin, and we just told him he'd have to come back. He wasn't too impressed, but we explained that all that coin would have to be weighed and then sorted and the cashier that does that is closed. TBH, if you really have loads and loads of coin, give your branch a ring and ask them what would be the best time to bring it in, that way you won't have to stand in a queue at peak time with armfulls of coin anyway!:)

I hate customers that take the p1ss TBH . And a lot do so it's their fault they have to wait in a q.:)

• Advertisement

I hate customers that take the p1ss TBH . And a lot do so it's their fault they have to wait in a q.:)

I wholeheartedly agree.....try telling the customers that though!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

If you want to have an inter-bank branch chat, perhaps PM might be a better place for it than taking threads off topic on the forum.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    If you want to have an inter-bank branch chat, perhaps PM might be a better place for it than taking threads off topic on the forum.

Come on buffy bot for FFS

Bringing coin incorrectly into a branch is one of my pet hates. I would consider it relevant to OP, but hay... I'm not the mod.

This coin thing strikes a nerve off anyone working on the front line....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

So how many coins does the OP have anyway? I put my loose change into a money box and once a year or so, I empty it out and bag it in the dinky little bags. Once I get going, I don't mind counting the coins. It's actually a little thrill to realise that I've suddenly got €40 or €50 that I didn't know about, so to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Verb wrote: »
    Hey !

So I have lots of change I want to convert to nice hard paper cash. I'm lazy and don't want to have to count it all out. Apart from the machines in shops that take around 10% of your money, do any of the banks have machines like this where I just pour the coins into and get paper out of ?

Gav

Give it to a charity

ircoha wrote: »
    Give it to a charity

Also a very good idea! That way you wouldn't have to count it either, just empty it into one of those big buckets!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Ok, thanks for all the replies. Slightly more than I expected ! I did mention that I didn't want to have to go though and bag it all.. I ended up just using one of the machines in a local spar that takes a percentage of the money.

It was 95 quid in total. I'm afraid I need the money myself, so no charity.

Gav

boooo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Come on buffy bot for FFS

Whats the the first 'F' of 'FFS' for if you preceded it with 'for'?

• Advertisement

:D very good.

Advertisement