Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Question

Options
  • 09-04-2008 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi there,
    My girlfriend and I are thinking of taking the plunge with our first property, I am in permanent employment, but after 2.5 years in permanent employment my girlfriend has just changed to another permanent position in another company and is on the standard 6 months probation.

Question is, will we get a mortgage in our current situation, or will we have to wait until after the girlfriend's 6 month probationary period?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

Not sure of the answer, but it might be a good thing seen as the prices are comming down so fast....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

For her salary to count, you'll have to wait I reckon. Contact a bank or broker yourself, and they'll tell you within a few seconds. It's not really possible to hide this as it has to go on a salary cert anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭ebowdia

Thanks guys....

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭jmcwobbles

Hey ebowdia, did you find out the answer to this one? I'm in the same boat, looking to get a mortgage but also may be changing jobs in the next few weeks so I had been wondering would that affect being able to get approval in principle even...

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭No1XtinaFan

Hi! I work in a brokers, you would get approval in principle from most banks but to get the loan offer/chq issue you would ahev to wait for the probationary period to end :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Hi! I work in a brokers, you would get approval in principle from most banks but to get the loan offer/chq issue you would ahev to wait for the probationary period to end :)

Are you sure about this. I was in a similar situation and it seemed to be dependent on which bank your mortgage was with i.e. for some lenders it was an issue and with others it wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭No1XtinaFan

cgc5483 wrote: »
    Are you sure about this. I was in a similar situation and it seemed to be dependent on which bank your mortgage was with i.e. for some lenders it was an issue and with others it wasn't.

yea, that's why I said most banks! all the banks are different but the way the market is at the moment EVERYONE is tightening their credit policy, PTSB aren't even giving 100% mortgages anymore, so it would be more of an issue now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 YES Finance

Hi,

With a case like this it is looked upon on a case by case basis, however if she is still in the simiiar type role and working within the same type of industry then it may be an avenue to explore.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭jmcwobbles

I am staying in the same industry and moving to a similar role and I asked my broker and he said it shouldn't be a problem for that reason

Advertisement