Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Blue smoke from engine, any ideas?

Options
  • 09-04-2008 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi

I have a 2000 1.6L VW Golf with 45K on the clock.
    A few weeks ago when i was starting it up I got a puff of blueish smoke from under the bonnet, It just happened again there at lunch. Any body got any ideas what it might be. the car seems to be running fine, i got an oil and filter change last week.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Not a good sign I'd get it checked out straight away it's usually followed by a blown engine! It's from oil getting into the cylinders could be a number of problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

sounds like it is burning oil ...generally from piston/ring wear & tear

Shane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Edit: Beaten to it...
    Blue smoke from the exhaust is normally oil related - blowing past the piston rings etc.

If it's from under the bonnet I'd think maybe you have a small oil leak in the engine bay.

If you've had an oil and filter change since you originally saw this symptom, I'd be surprised that your mechanic didn't spot it. If you've only had the symptom since the service, it's probably something your mechanic did (or didn't do)...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

If it's just when turning the starter the engine will not be hot enough to burn leaked oil. Another possibility is an electrical problem with the starter motor. Check the wiring from the battery to the starter.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭tunes81

Thanks for the replys/suggestions I'll have it looked into straight away!

• Advertisement
Advertisement