Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone happy with ntl

Options
  • 09-04-2008 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭

hi ive got the ntl broadband package,i had trouble with the wireless,mainly other people useing my signal,when i went on the net gear site to secure it all went well,untill i rebooted my pc,then i couldnt connect,i got the run around from net gear,[which was supriseing as i heard good things]then after a few call to ntl i finally got true to sombody that knew what they were talking about,ntl are pretty good once you get true there diabolical phone system,they really sould look into this as there a major force in the digital tv market,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Moved from ICDG to Broadband

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

i love ntl. fast speeds, doubling soon, huge download cap and engineer's are always sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Whatsthisabout

Yea I am happy with them.

I have had very few issues and anytime I need an engineer out once I did what I was asked on the phone with the support agents they always sent one out.

So no complaints now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

I was very happy with them too. Had them for 2-3 years up to last month. The connection was fast and very stable (always getting my max. advertised speeds when downloading with 4 simultaneous threads). However there was some packet loss at busy times (6-10pm), making voice over IP (such as SIP phones and Skype) a bit erratic around times, showing up as quiet pops and clicks. If you don't use voice services it will be fine for you though.

Support is also good. Their phone menu is kind of annoying though (making you listen to a list of frequently asked questions first) and the waiting times are very long. However it is a free number so who cares.

Edit: The only thing I really hated about NTL is that every month or so I got a call from them asking me if I wanted to get the phone service with them. Even though I told them many times that I didn't want the phone line and asked them not to call me again on several occasions.

So if you sign up with them, don't give them your mobile number :P If I'd sign up again, I'd just use my office number and let them leave a voicemail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Yeah i'm happy with them and have been for the past 18 months or so i've been using them. I rarely have disconnections except for a period of about 2 weeks when i first joined them and the speeds are fast. I never have to use customer service so i can't comment on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭paddyk

To the OP not trying to hi-jack your thread but I have a question about NTL. On their site they say I quote,

"Chorus and ntl advises that this service is only supported when one PC operates with one modem"..

Now we have BT broadband with 2 PC and 2 XBox 360,s connected to the gateway. If I went NTL would I lose the option of connecting the other PCs OR could I just purchase a router and put it in line with the NTL/UPC modem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

paddyk wrote: »
    To the OP not trying to hi-jack your thread but I have a question about NTL. On their site they say I quote,

"Chorus and ntl advises that this service is only supported when one PC operates with one modem"..

Now we have BT broadband with 2 PC and 2 XBox 360,s connected to the gateway. If I went NTL would I lose the option of connecting the other PCs OR could I just purchase a router and put it in line with the NTL/UPC modem?

Of course you could.:) I run a main desktop PC and a Dell laptop via a netgear router. Very happy with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭baz909

I have NTL 12mb with a Netgear router, I have my main PC connected to the router and my PS3 and Xbox360 connected wireless to the router all work at the same time.

Engineer's are really sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

The service when it works is great.

Dealing with them when there's a problem is an interrogation technique the CIA should use. It is the single most painful thing I've ever been through and that includes being hit by a car.

They have a long way to go to learn how to make customers happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I find their broadband service in general does what it says on the tin. I have only ever had two days without service (in about six months) and it usually runs near enough to the advertised speed.

Their customer service on the other hand....

1) When I was having a problem connecting my Xbox, they told me they don't support consoles.

2) When I changed a setting on my router (which I bought off them!) they told me they couldn't help and I had to ring Netgear. NTL then proceeded to give me a UK number which couldn't be rang off mobiles. When I explained I had no landline, they said this wasn't their problem.

3) I have often spent 15-30 minutes on hold trying to speak to someone only to be disconnected.

4) On another occasion I rang the broadband department only to be place on hold for 30 minutes before being transferred to the TV department, who then proceeded to transfer back to broadband department who then transferred me back to the tv department... Frustration is not the word

In short, if it breaks. You got to fix it yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Im not liking their prices really. Some people I know have Broadband and TV for 30 or less, with 6 months half price. Take a look at their deals they have and there not deals! Ideally id want better then a 1Mb line, and TV. They have a deal of a 1Mb line and digital for 46euro, with 2 months half price. Thats not a deal. A 1mb line is 20euro and digital is 26euro. I can add myself, I want savings!!
    Basically the package I want will cost 56euro a month. I know they do special deals every now and again and thats how people get TV and Broadband for 30quid, but how come prices are so much higher if you dont get one of these deals! Obviously they can afford to do it.
    Frustrating, because I really want Broadband at the house! :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

i run 2 lap tops and a ps 3 never any problems and its one of the slower speeds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

silvine wrote: »
    I find their broadband service in general does what it says on the tin. I have only ever had two days without service (in about six months) and it usually runs near enough to the advertised speed.

Their customer service on the other hand....
    Two days without service? Very poor imo, though I suppose it depends on what you need it for. It would completely rule it out for any business purposes for example.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I've been running NTL 3MB for just over two years now and I honestly can't fault it really, not as good as my old BT Buisness line but I can still pull down a fair amount of stuff on it.

Never had more then 1-3 hours downtime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Jizzle

paddyk wrote: »

they supply the router for u

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

I have been with them right from the start. I signed up for the top package back then of .75MB with no cap. Soon to be upgraded to 12MB. :pac:

I was majorly pissed off with then for blocking the p2p port that Trackmania runs on but have since found away to get around that and now I can play it perfectly again. :pac:

All in all I'm happy with them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

i have had ntl for nearly a month now and i haven't had a single issue with them.

im getting fantastic speed(12mb line)

always getting about 1.6mbps download.

works perfect with the xbox online aswell. having been playing gta 4 online (fun stuff). all working well there.

i have to say im pretty happy with the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

Thor wrote: »
    i have had ntl for nearly a month now and i haven't had a single issue with them.

im getting fantastic speed(12mb line)

always getting about 1.6mbps download.

works perfect with the xbox online aswell. having been playing gta 4 online (fun stuff). all working well there.

i have to say im pretty happy with the service.
    wait till you have it a while and youve no service for days and try ringing them for an engineer.first they pawned me off with a premium help line .after 15 mins a 1.50 a min they said theres nothing wrong its your modem ,when i rang back again they said oh ring this number they will help aaaaaggghhhhhh. no i said would you please disconect our broadband ,phone and tv service please im going else were . 5 minutes later a supervisor rang me full of apoligies.it was the modem so after another wait of 3 days for an engineer to call were back to normal.ive no choice but to stick with these idiots as its the only service in my area bar eircom and there a big no no.

Advertisement