Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Besides atheism what other interests do you have?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

I live 10 mins away from Studio Gibli, its a great place to visit. Also, most of the Japan scenes are taken from real life places along my train route. The are amazingly accurate down to the smallest detail. At the sudio they placed great emphasis on Hayao Miyazaki's great attention to tiny tiny details, that is the hallmark of all Gibli works.
    I am a sucker for Tonari no Totoro (My Neighbor Totoro) and Mononoke Hime (Princes Mononoke )
    bogwalrus wrote:
    I believe Miyazakhi's son did the last two anime's. he would also be called Miyazakhi, i could be wrong though. Pretty cool keeping it in the family if thats the case.
    Nope, Goro Miyazaki directed Tales from Earthsea against his fathers wishes. Goro is known for his storyboard work, before this he worked as a landscaper. He refused to enter the family business. By all accounts, his dad was pretty pissed when he directed the animation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

Music - Playing/writing/listening

Economics - My finals are this May

World Politics

History

Science

Cooking

Wimmin...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

Asiaprod wrote: »
    Nope, Goro Miyazaki directed Tales from Earthsea against his fathers wishes. Goro is known for his storyboard work, before this he worked as a landscaper. He refused to enter the family business. By all accounts, his dad was pretty pissed when he directed the animation.

ahh:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Anime would be my biggest interest. There's nothing short of wonderous imagination at work in a lot of it, Studio Ghibli in general being a fantastic example, but not just Miyazaki, Isao Takahata is also a fantastic director working at Ghibli, having done Pom Poko, Grave Of The Fireflies and Only Yesterday, among others. Truly incredible stuff, but sometimes gets overshadowed by Miyazaki's genius.

Satoshi Kon's Paprika was one of the films that thrilled me most in recent times, but mention has to be given to Mamoru Oshii and Katsuhiro Ôtomo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Anime would be my biggest interest. There's nothing short of wonderous imagination at work in a lot of it, Studio Ghibli in general being a fantastic example, but not just Miyazaki, Isao Takahata is also a fantastic director working at Ghibli, having done Pom Poko, Grave Of The Fireflies and Only Yesterday, among others. Truly incredible stuff, but sometimes gets overshadowed by Miyazaki's genius.

Satoshi Kon's Paprika was one of the films that thrilled me most in recent times, but mention has to be given to Mamoru Oshii and Katsuhiro Ôtomo.

:rolleyes:

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Let me see... murder, rape, pillage, genocide, seal clubbing. The list goes on!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Galvasean wrote: »
    Let me see... murder, rape, pillage, genocide, seal clubbing. The list goes on!

seal clubbing?...you [EMAIL="b**@#$%"]b**@#$%[/EMAIL]^&

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I wouldnt really consider Atheism an Interest: more of a dis-interest in Theism.

Okay I'll go for it again:

dinosaurs
    movies
    movies with dinosaurs in them
    Transformers
    Transformers that turn into dinosaurs
    Arsenal football club
    Arsenal's mascot (the dinosaur)
    video games
    video games with dinosaurs in them
    books
    books about dinosaurs
    stand up comedy
    stand up comedy that involves jokes about dinosaurs
    comics
    comics about dinosaurs

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

dinosaurs
    movies
    Transformers
    Arsenal football club
    video games
    books
    books about dinosaurs
    stand up comedy
    comics
    comics about dinosaurs

Don't you mean Rhinos?

• Advertisement

Add to my list:

animal
    animals that remind me of dinosaurs
    animals that are sometimes confused for dinosaurs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

dinosaurs
    movies
    Transformers
    Arsenal football club
    video games
    books
    books about dinosaurs
    stand up comedy
    comics
    comics about dinosaurs
    ross?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

I always thought it ironic how some Atheists actually know more about religions than religious people themselves. My brother, for example, is an Atheist but has read the bible word-by-word and has read books on many other religions too.

My interests lie in Cosmology, Biology, and Egyptology. I also have an interest in protecting myself from being tainted by certain groups, cults, and fashion trends. I am 'me' and I won't change that for the world.

Kevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

I live 10 mins away from Studio Gibli, its a great place to visit. Also, most of the Japan scenes are taken from real life places along my train route.

I hate you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Kevster wrote: »
    I always thought it ironic how some Atheists actually know more about religions than religious people themselves. My brother, for example, is an Atheist but has read the bible word-by-word and has read books on many other religions too.

My interests lie in Cosmology, Biology, and Egyptology. I also have an interest in protecting myself from being tainted by certain groups, cults, and fashion trends. I am 'me' and I won't change that for the world.

Kevin.

Not that hard to believe. Wouldnt a theist look to their priest for answers? An atheist has no such mentor: we seek the answer ourselves. Its also easier to look at multiple religions when you arent influenced by dogma or stigmatism. Incidentally I should check out the Koran sometime.

Sangre wrote: »
    ross?

Pinocchio?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Overheal wrote:
    Incidentally I should check out the Koran sometime.
    Apparently, the Koran permits the existence of aliens, which I find super interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Apparently, the Koran permits the existence of aliens, which I find super interesting.

Really? Cool.

When you say permits, do you mean "does not explicitly rule out"?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭DinoBot

Really how, where ? Must have missed that chapter.

I think your right in saying how some Atheists actually know more about religions than religious people themselves. Ive read the bible from cover to cover (took ages) and read the quran about 5 or 6 times :D
    I actually blame the fact that I read the holy books for turning me away from the faiths.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

DinoBot wrote: »
    Really how, where ? Must have missed that chapter.

I think your right in saying how some Atheists actually know more about religions than religious people themselves. Ive read the bible from cover to cover (took ages) and read the quran about 5 or 6 times :D
    I actually blame the fact that I read the holy books for turning me away from the faiths.

Never got round to it myself.....could you give me the gist of them??:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭DinoBot

daycent wrote: »
    Never got round to it myself.....could you give me the gist of them??:D

Well, without spoiling the ending, in the bible the main dude dies but then comes back again, has a whole zombie flick feel to it. But in the quran there is a nice twist, just as he is about to be killed, they swap him for some other poor loser to take his place. Man, I didn't see that coming :D:D

But in the quran there is a nice twist, just as he is about to be killed, they swap him for some other poor loser to take his place. Man, I didn't see that coming :D:D
    Funny, the same comment is made I believe in the infamous Gospel of Thomas. If I remember correctly the comment was "They thought they crucified me, it was not I, it was someone else."

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

Well, without spoiling the ending, in the bible the main dude dies but then comes back again, has a whole zombie flick feel to it. But in the quran there is a nice twist, just as he is about to be killed, they swap him for some other poor loser to take his place. Man, I didn't see that coming :D:D

Crazy......... you couldn't make it up............................or could you??;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Mature student/worker bee. Presently studying Economics/Philosophy, Previously studied Physics with a dollop of Applied Maths thrown in.

Interests:

Philosophy: Specifically Philosophy of Mind, Philosophy of Science and Philosophy of Logic

Economics: Specifically Banking, Exchange Rates, Central Banks & Regulation. Minor interest in the Philosophy of Economics and Public Choice theory.

Politics: Minor interest in Politics/Political Philosophy. Little interest in arguing party lines with people, am more interested in dissecting politics in a cynical way.

Science: Still read a lot of "popular science" (as in, stuff like Feynman not "Everything you wanted to know about Black Holes" type crap). Still have a healthy lay interest in Physics, Neuroscience and general Medicine to a lesser extent and follow Scientific American and New Scientist reports on the areas. Occasionally still browse science journals but that's rarer these days.

Mathematics: Still somewhat interested in the Philosophy of Mathematics. I'm more interested in applications of maths than mathematics per se to be honest.

Computer Games: I play Strategy Games to relax.

Children: I have a young son and this ties up a lot of my time as you might imagine.

Music: Metal and Classical for the most part. I used to play some instruments when I was younger but never to a high level and I was never particularly good at it.

Sport: I follow Rugby and GAA sometimes though I'm a casual fan at best. I watch the Six Nations every year and a fair amount of the hurling championship. I watch UFC on and off, used to do Tae Kwon Do when I was younger which left me with an interest in the sport.

Gaming: I play pen and paper roleplaying games and go to a couple of roleplaying conventions each year. It's more of a social thing for me, I've made quite a lot of good friends through the hobby, as opposed to my others which are fairly anti-social really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Funny, the same comment is made I believe in the infamous Gospel of Thomas. If I remember correctly the comment was "They thought they crucified me, it was not I, it was someone else."

Not in any translation of it that I have seen. Maybe you're thinking of something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Hmmm, what interests me?

Just about any sport but particularly cricket and rugby.
    Sci-fi & Fantasy.
    History and the stories around it.
    My job. I work as a stage builder/hand/manager. Thus I get to see a lot of gigs for nowt. I have to sit through a lot of dross but I do get to see folks I want to occasionally.
    Driving. Any sort, long-distance being a particular favourite.
    Music. Electronica mainly but some trad, classical and rock. The only form of music I truly despise would be Irish country music.
    Politics. Not so much in policies and legislation but the lies that eminate from the body politic and the hoops they jump through to further their own careers.
    My family. Natch

Oh, and Cannabis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

That would be from the Coptic Apocalypse of Peter and also the Second Treatsie of the Great Seth.

"When he had said those things , I saw him apparaently being seized by them. And I said "What am I seeing, O Lord? Is it you whom they take?...Who is this one above the cross, who is glad and laughing? And is it another person whose feet and hands they are hammering?"

"The Saviour said to me, "He whom you see above the cross, glad and laughing, is the living Jesus. But he into whose hands and feet they are driving the nails is his physical part, which is the substitute. They are putting to shame that which is his likeness. But look at him and me
    ." (Apoc. Pet. 81)

These Christians believed the body to be an imperfect shell belonging to the God of the Old Testament. They believed Jesus to be perfection and incapable of suffering as only that which is imperfect can experience pain. In this account Christ is laughing at those Christians who believed that he was fully man and fully God as they misunderstood his true nature.

In the Second Treatsie of the Great Seth, Jesus reveals that he did not die on the cross (because he is God and cannot die) but instead he changed his form and it was Simon of Cyrene who ended up on the cross. Again Jesus laughs at the ignorance of the Christians who did not understand this.

That would be from the Coptic Apocalypse of Peter and also the Second Treatsie of the Great Seth.
    Thanks for this, I did indeed get the wrong book:o
    Sorry PDN:)

Advertisement