Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

which passat?

Options
  • 09-04-2008 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Looking to get a 04 passat would like a automatic but would like opinons on the advantages and disadvantages of manual or auto. have seen a few all have 100k plus[130tdi].
    A few questions?
    1 Are automatic good for high mileage
    2 Is there much difference in MPG[diesel]
    3 Do automatics give much trouble
    4 Manual gearbox 5 or 6 speed which is best:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

As far as I am aware yes, they have better longevity than manuals.

I'm not sure about vws autos, but I would expect them to be about 10% less efficient than an equivalent manual. This is just a guess though. On the above car I would expect about 44mpg with auto.

I'm not 100% but as far as I am aware they do not.

4 Manual gearbox 5 or 6 speed which is best

I've been told the ratios on the 5 speed are much better [read acceleration] whereas the 6 speed ratios arent as good but is better for economy, so it depends what your looking for. Personally I would probably take the 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭gordon_gekko

macpete wrote: »
    Looking to get a 04 passat would like a automatic but would like opinons on the advantages and disadvantages of manual or auto. have seen a few all have 100k plus[130tdi].
    A few questions?
    4 Manual gearbox 5 or 6 speed which is best:confused:

i just bought an landcruiser auto and i love it
    its such a laid back experience driving an auto , you dont use you left leg at all which is brilliant at trafic lights , you baschially just stick it in D and sit back and steer
    as regards the mpg , i doubt you would get over 40 miles per gallon but it really is down to how you drive them , when driving an auto , you have to learn to be gentle with the accelerator , if your not , the car will rev a lot and jump forward and back between the speeds , takes a while to get used to that but all in all there great

the biggest problem with them in this country is finding one 2nd hand , we traditionally have avoided autos like the plague in the country , were quite unique in this regard internationally , here about 1 in 200 cars are auto where as in the usa , 99% of cars are auto , japan about 70% , australia about 50% and europe about 20% , the uk has a very low percentage too though

Advertisement