Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

QPR fans in town

Options
  • 09-04-2008 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭

Was gonna ask this in Rozbeef's Chelsea *spit*(;)) supporters club thread but I see that it was closed before I got the chance.

Is anyone else on here a fan of the REAL West London club QPR or do they know if there's many of us in town. I've heard tell of a couple but never met any in the flesh. I'm pretty sure that there wouldn't be enough warrant a supporter's club, but it would be nice to know if there was somewhere to watch a match (on the rare occasion we're on the box) in the company of some fellow Rs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

el_weirdo wrote: »
    Was gonna ask this in Rozbeef's Chelsea *spit*(;)) supporters club thread but I see that it was closed before I got the chance.

Is anyone else on here a fan of the REAL West London club QPR or do they know if there's many of us in town. I've heard tell of a couple but never met any in the flesh. I'm pretty sure that there wouldn't be enough warrant a supporter's club, but it would be nice to know if there was somewhere to watch a match (on the rare occasion we're on the box) in the company of some fellow Rs.

There are definitely more QPR fans in Sligo than you might think. I have seen a couple of them from time to time watching the games on TV in their blue and white hooped jerseys.

You won't have long to wait though to see some more about the place as I for one think that QPR are the up and coming club with plenty of money and success not that far away. A bit like the Chelsea story... I better not say anymore about that though as I appeared to have ruffled a few feathers in the last 'supporters' club thread.

(By the way, I would like to take this opportunity to apologize to Liverpool supporters about what I said about the KOP as it was indeed untrue.)

If you are starting a supporters club in the future, it may not be as easy as you might think. I tried to start one in Sligo in the 2000 but found that there was a lot of red tape involved. We had the numbers but decided to watch the games in the pub on TV. Any tickets we wanted for the bridge could be got through a Donegal supporters club.

Anyway, whatever you decide to do, best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Cheers Jabby. Wasn't really that bothered in setting up a supporters club though as I can imagine what a hassle it is and also you'd be open to the critisism of jumping on the bandwagon due to the new-found interest that there's bound to be in the coming years (á la Chelsea and Sunderland). TBH, I could do without all that sh1te, not to mention the red tape. Mind you, by the sounds of it, the new boys at the Rangers aren't planning on "doing a Chelsea" and splashing the cash in a stupid way. They seem to want to build the club up from a firm foundation and not just buy success. I for one am delighted with this approach - It at least means that I can't be accused of being a hypocryte by any Chelsea fans that I've given out to over the past few years!;)

Anyways, it looks like I'll have to keep an extra vigilant eye out for any fellow Rs.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

You have no knowledge of my reasons for supporting a "random english team" and I'm not going to explain them to you.

You've got nothing constructive to bring to this thread so I suggest that you go troll somewhere else whilst you're banned from AH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

NBB Bohs wrote: »
    If you are English from London it makes sense, any other reasons are stupid.

How do you know he's not English and from London? What's the deal if he is a supporter of QPR?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

bobcar61 wrote: »
    How do you know he's not English and from London? What's the deal if he is a supporter of QPR?

Do QPR still exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Wexler12

Ya they meet every second Saturday up Chuch Hill,place called The Showgrounds I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I'm from Sligo and don't support Sligo Rovers, I don't see the problem.Maybe he just isn't a fan of Irish Football, maybe because of the standard, I don't know. Or maybe he does support Sligo Rovers and also QPR on the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

I do support the Rovers and I find it shocking how little people come to watch them. It is a cycle; people dont come to watch coz the football is of a very low quality (specially at the moment) and it stays a low quallity because they dont have the funds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

from Sligo and don't support Sligo Rovers,

You are a fan so rather than a supporter.
    I don't see the problem.Maybe he just isn't a fan of Irish Football, maybe because of the standard, I don't know. Or maybe he does support Sligo Rovers and also QPR on the side.

This one always gets me the standard, I suppose all those Irish people who support Celtic do so because of the standard of the SPL. Those who deride the Irish game as a poor standard do so not on the basis of the football of which they are no judge since they don't go to their local club and see so little other professional football live that they are in no position to judge. They make their judgement on the basis of the quality of the TV coverage and the stadiums.

If you like the sport you like the sport, if you like drinking in a pub wearing a jersey when the TV is on you like drinking. I like both.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

El Weirdo wrote: »

Is real a euphemism for unsuccessful?:pac: I jest. Bring back Gerry Francis, eh? (As a player, obviously). If Briatore pumps money into QPR like Abramovich at Chelsea, will QPR no longer be real?:D

il gatto wrote: »
    Is real a euphemism for unsuccessful?:pac: I jest. Bring back Gerry Francis, eh? (As a player, obviously). If Briatore pumps money into QPR like Abramovich at Chelsea, will QPR no longer be real?:D

No fear of Briatore pumping in money like Abramovich any time soon. Most of what the F1 guys have done at Qpr has been negatively received. We were a mid table championship side when they arrived and we still are. Chelsea in the Carling Cup should be interesting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭SeanyboyQPR

You RRRRRRRRRRRRRRR'S. LIve in Cork and I'm only fifteen though. :/

There are far more Qpr fans in Ireland than you think, most of a certain vintage.:) There is a gang of us heading to St James Park for the Newcastle - Qpr fixture on the 30th of September. Should be a good day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭urranger

Just came across this thread by chance, and yes there are lots of QPR fans around. Where I live in Mayo there are five QPR supporters living in a half mile radius from my house!! I know of two more who live a few more miles away. I'm sure there are plenty in Sligo who would have QPR as their second favourite team given the connection with Ski Mc Gee.

Advertisement