Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reloading UPDATE

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Gunter Mauser

53814.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

.243 what would be the best head to reload for 300 yd target shooting. Rifle is ruger markII /77 bull barrell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Sikamick wrote: »
    .243 what would be the best head to reload for 300 yd target shooting. Rifle is ruger markII /77 bull barrell.

Sierra have introduced a 95 grain HPBT Matchking bullet to their line up,
    which looks to have great potential for long range shooting,I was using their 85 grain gamekings for 800 yard targets yesterday and was getting fair results...i havent tried the 95 grainers yet, but it wont be long.
    if your rifle is a 7 " or 8" twist then theres a 107 grain matchking available.
    if your planning to shoot at 300 yards then maybe a lighter bullet from 65 grain v max upwards would suit, the sweet spot for bullet weight in the 243 is reckoned to be 85 grain.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

Thanks for the info foxshooter243, One of our members was shooting my Ruger MarkII/77
    at 600 yds in the Mid-lands on Sunday, he was using Winchester 95 grn Ballistic tips and he scored very well 9s and 10s.

I think the rate of twist is 9 in my Ruger.

What is your opinion on this round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Sikamick wrote: »
    Thanks for the info foxshooter243, One of our members was shooting my Ruger MarkII/77
    at 600 yds in the Mid-lands on Sunday, he was using Winchester 95 grn Ballistic tips and he scored very well 9s and 10s.

I think the rate of twist is 9 in my Ruger.

What is your opinion on this round.

if i remember correctly 95 grain winchesters ballistic tips are nosler bullets
    with a similar B.C to the sierra 95 grain matchkings, and as the sweet spot i suggested of 80-90 grains for the 243 is for a 1:10 twist, then 95 grains should shoot rather well in a 1;9 twist but both are first class so it will probably be down to the rifles preference in the end.

• Advertisement
Advertisement