Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell me this, and tell me more...........if you can??

Options
  • 09-04-2008 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭

Can someone tell me if a person with a disability applied for a Grant to get adaptations done to their home, and has previously put their name on the Affordable Housing list, will the person's name be removed from either list if they are successful in their application????

I hope this is a clear question?

Any advice/suggestions/replies welcome.

MM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

I shouldn't think either should effect it but you would probably want to speak to the housing deparment of the county council in which you live.

I know if clients are tenants (don't own the house), they have to get the council to put up rails etc rather then getting it done by the HSE (process takes an awful lot longer) in DLaoghaire, co. council.
    For a level access shower the council provides the buiilders rather then the applicant finding builders to get quotes from. It also takes a lot longer to get things done if it's a privately owned house compared to a council property in DLOR. hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Thanks for that.

My father is the owner of the house. I spoke to SDCC earlier and they told me that they will be in a position to offer me a place to buy by late summer this year!

I have to get back in touch with the IWA tomorrow to see if I can get another stint in their Independent Living Apartments.

MM

You can only avail of the adapations grant once. You'd be better off waiting until you were settled.

that's not neccessarily true if there's a case for it (ot report required)..it's means tested and you probably won't get as much money towards it the secound time if you get it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭steyr fan

There's e30000 available under the Mobility Adis Grant Scheme (MAG)(for works costing up to e6000) and the Housing the Housing Adaption Grant for People with a Disability (HGD) for works costing over e6000. The local authorities administer them, not the HSE. The councils are reluctant to revisit to give a second grant, but if you circumstances change, then they are willing to listen, and very often do approve the grant.

The schemes are means tested, and can take from 3 - 6 months to approve, depending on the urgency of your needs. There are numerous examples of having to wait much longer than 6 months, so there is no set time for the council to approve.

As to whether getting a grant affecting you on a housing list - talk to the council.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/housing/housing-grants-and-schemes/housing_adaptation_grant_for_people_with_disability

thats the citizens information link for info. You should get on to the council, Health Board and local citizen advice and see what they say. In my experience it can be very hard to get info on what your entitled to, so fish around - as it were!! Also if you have a decent local TD get on to them, it shouldn't be the case but sometimes they can push something, or a least have some knowledge of the system. Best of luck!

snorlax wrote: »
    that's not neccessarily true if there's a case for it (ot report required)..it's means tested and you probably won't get as much money towards it the secound time if you get it...

Also it is at the discretion of a pen pushing civil servant.
    The one in my aera behaves as if the funds are coming from his own pockets and has absolutly no consideration of what it takes to be able to be able to function in a space with a disability.
    I don't know if they have implemented the ombudsman yet, but up until recently these civil servants had the first and last word. End of story.
    There were cases of large county councils not giving a single adaption grant in an entire year, not so long ago.

Well if there's a case for it..i.e a person's needs have changed (especially with peads and neurology), and there's proof it i.e through a professional report there's no reason why at least part of it shouldn't be granted..then again I have heard that some county councils are running out of money this year ...but if you've proof no reason why it couldn't be appealed/ taken to court.

Speaking of which there is no inspector for DLOR for any of the work carried out with these grants expect an occasional audit....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Thanks for that. I haven't been on here in a while, so had a bit of catching up to do............

Advertisement