Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Api A2d

Options
  • 09-04-2008 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭

I have just ordered one of these!!
    http://www.apiaudio.com/a2d.html
    I got confirmed bookings this week for 2 albums at 20 days each so I decided to splash out on a pair of "coloured" mic pres. After much googling and research, I decided on this. Mainly due to the combination of 2 API pres and AD conversion. I had it narrowed down to the A2D or an A Designs Pacifica, but the AD conversion swung it for me.
    Should have it in a week to 10 days and will post here with my impressions once I track with it. Gonna use it for overheads on the kit and for distorted (metal guitars) on the 2 albums. Will probably stick with my isa220 for vocals, due to its EQ, compressor, deesser.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

I have just ordered one of these!!
    http://www.apiaudio.com/a2d.html
    I got confirmed bookings this week for 2 albums at 20 days each so I decided to splash out on a pair of "coloured" mic pres. After much googling and research, I decided on this. Mainly due to the combination of 2 API pres and AD conversion. I had it narrowed down to the A2D or an A Designs Pacifica, but the AD conversion swung it for me.
    Should have it in a week to 10 days and will post here with my impressions once I track with it. Gonna use it for overheads on the kit and for distorted (metal guitars) on the 2 albums. Will probably stick with my isa220 for vocals, due to its EQ, compressor, deesser.

M! You should give the Neve 1073 DPD a spin too. I've a demo one if you'd like a go?

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭teamdresch

Try 'em on kick and snare too.
    You won't be disappointed on guitars.
    Or bass.
    In fact, try all your overdubs through 'em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Love the vibe of those A-Design amps. Would be nice to have a rack with a few different color amps in it.

sonically, obviously:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

I know the API pre's in this are a rock classic, but what are they like on coustic instruments and vocals?

Great.
    They've got bags of gain, which is really handy on acoustic instruments.
    I use them all the time on vocals too.
    I've yet to find something I don't like them on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭trackmixstudio

For metal stuff, I usually end up firing samples for kick and snare at about 50:50 mix, so I think I will use the APIs for overheads. I REALLY like my isa220 on kick.
    The A2D seems like a great deal, when you add the cost of 2 API pres and 2 channels of top quality AD. The APIs reportedly add attack and midrange to a distorted guitar which is exactly what I am after.
    I also have a Digi Pre 8 channel which is nice and transparent for acoustic stuff (which I don't do a lot of).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

teamdresch wrote: »
    Great.
    They've got bags of gain, which is really handy on acoustic instruments.
    I use them all the time on vocals too.
    I've yet to find something I don't like them on.

Found them to be faster on transients than the 1073 types, good for acoustics.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭booooonzo

can you write up what your thoughts are when youve used this trackmix please.
    espically on vocals if you use it for that maybe against your isa.

I would be very interested, Im trying to narrow down a dual channel pre for use with a peluso 2247LE or 22251.

Thinking the api with the a/d will suit my system as the a/d is a bit better than my rme 800.

Other options are the Neve 1073DPD (maybe a bit expensive), a designs pacifica or the great river MP-2NV

Thanks for any insight.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭trackmixstudio

Finally got this on Monday. There was a hold up due to API doing an update to the word clock.
    It sounds AMAZING. I have tracked guitars and vocals with it. Does exactly what I wanted it to do. Pushes the track forward in the mix and adds midrange presence.
    It has pad and 2:1 switches that allow you to really push the gain before it hits the AD. It crunches the sound a bit but adds no harshness. I am using it into the SPDIF in on my 01V96 allowing me to have EQ, gate, compressor before hitting the RME digiface.
    It is not as smooth as the isa220. I think I prefer the isa220 for (other than metal) vocals. The isa is also much nicer on bass guitar. I think the API will work best for anything that needs to be "in your face" and the isa for anything that needs to be big and "round" and sit back a bit in the mix.
    I also have a digidesign 8 channel HD pre that is somewhere in between and sounds crystal clear. It is good for toms and room mics.
    The AD conversion is top class too. I have the digital board on the isa220 and the A2D is equal (or better)quality .when I get a chance I will run the isa into the converters on the A2D to compare. The transient response is really fast on vocal so it should be great on overheads. I won't be recording a kit for the next 2 weeks but will post back with examples when I do.
    I strongly recommend this pre. At the price it is a bargain. I may get another for kick, snare (will try it on them first).

I love API for all kinds of drums.

• Advertisement
Advertisement