Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friend going away for 2 years

Options
  • 09-04-2008 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭

First off, sorry if this is in the wrong thread. Maybe it would be better placed in travel???

Anyway, I have a friend gonig away for two years and I really would like to get him something for his trip. The problem is that I'm completely stumped what to get him.

He's a big camera fanatic, so he has that covered off. And he has one of the best backpacks on the market. He'll be traveling around all over the world, including New Zealand/ Australia, South-East Asia, South America and Canada.

I would be greatful for any suggestions.
    ger.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

When my bf went to australia a few years ago, I just got some cash changed to Australia Dollars,

Or maybe a christophers medal (Patron st of travellers) if they are religious.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 fairynuff

How about a small digital photo frame, with some photos of friends, family and scenery from home loaded onto it? Nice to have a reminder of home if you are on the road for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 BetsyGray

a couple of my mates have been away doing the round the world thing. Best things to get them are definitely either cash or promise to give them regular email updates about whats happening with people at home.

Apparnetly even if you're not homesick it's still really cool (and weird) hearing about what [insert names] got up to at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Sally Cinnamon

A friend was going to the US travelling and I found a site where you can buy an adventure experience company voucher - ie. they do stuff like bungee jumping, hot air baloon rides and stuff ...
    Gave her a voucher to go and do something fun while she was over there...

Don't know if there's a similar site for Oz but I'd be suprised if there isn't..

Would be great for someone who's into that kind of thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Heya,

I was wondering the same as the OP. My friend is travelling to North America for a bit, then going living in Canada (Toronto) for a year. She's leaving in less than two weeks so I think getting anything online is a bit risky now, even though the voucher for an adventure activity was a good idea.

She's lived in the US for a short time before so I think she has the luggage sets, photo frames etc sorted. She's bringing a laptop which I know she'll be on all the time once she finds her apartment so I think she'll be using Skype and blogging, which means she won't need a call card or paper travel journal.

She has a guidebook already and I'm not sure what kind of normal reading book to get as she has a kind of individual style for books.

I've thought about funky luggage tags, mini shampoos, shower gels etc (she'll be staying with friends til she gets her own place) but nothing more exciting!

Since she's travelled to the US before, I think she'll already have what she needs. Does anyone have any ideas for a present? About €50? Maybe I should just get a non-travel related present but would rather get something a bit more meaningful, I can give her a dvd anytime!

Any suggestions welcome!

• Advertisement
Advertisement