Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fashion reject in need of help

• 09-04-2008 6:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hope someone can help.

I am in desparate need for professional Help or at least some help!!!
    Im 23 and i dont dress my age as ive been told by everyone i know. I have always been reserved about the types of styles available to suit my shape (Im not always right). I work in an office and i try wear business casual clothes but can never find the proper size shirts to wear. I can buy a size 14 shirt and it gaps at the chest and if i go to a size 16 the shoulders are huge and doesnt sit right on me. Can anyone suggest some shops where i can visit to get the advice/style tips. Ive tried a few places already in Dublin but no-one was helpful and i got very uneasy when someone made comment about my size when they agreed to help. Since then ive lost some weight and need help more desparately now.

Comments

If your anything like me, your problem is you haven't patience with the shopping thing.
    If I spend an hour trying things on and I hate everything I get peed and go home.
    I use www.mvm.com to "try on" different types of clothes on my shape.
    I found it useful to weed out trends that don't suit me, so when I do go to the shop I pick things are more likely to be winners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Can I just say how important correct fitting underwear is and will make you feel..it will smooth and define, and will make you feel more confident and therfore youre clothes might sit better..go and get fitted and you will notice a differenc, especially if you bring clothes to try on as well..with things like shirts etc I have to make sure I wear a good fitting bra because Ill have the same prob, gaping with one size, and huge shoulders with the size up..start with the basics and work your way out:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

I think it was Wallis that introduced a personal shopper at no extra cost in their stores, you should give them a call and ask about it. LIke another poster said, shopping takes patience sometimes and don't let some insensitive person put you off the shopping experience!

http://www.wallis-fashion.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/TopCategoriesDisplay?storeId=12557&catalogId=20551

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭supersheeps

Try wrap shirts instead of button front shirts, much more flattering for business wear if you find button shirts gape. Awear are good. Actually, I think awear have a personal shopper too? When you go into a clothes shop, if something catches your eye, try it on, don't just dismiss it as not being "you". It might be hideous on, but it might give you inspiration for a slightly different look. I second the "good underwear" post, can make a world of difference to your posture and make you feel good about your image. If you have any friends whose style you admire, bribe them with a coffee/cocktail and get them to come shopping with you. Oh, and don't worry about sales assistants, some are just cranky and don't get the "assistant" part of their job title (I used to be one and now manage them, so I know all about them!), just go to a shop that you like, at a quiet time, and look for a friendly face, there are still plenty of us in retail who love helping people look great!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Scatman

hey
    i know topshop have style advisors in their store at stephens green
    and dundrum over a style team, who are apparently impartial and take you around the shops

and you could always try the trinny and susannah books too
    even if they are facists ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 FuzzyDuck

Scatman wrote: »
    and you could always try the trinny and susannah books too
    even if they are facists ;)

+1 they have some really good tips in them. I came across this the other day

http://www.littlewoodsdirect.com/rf/lxd/static.do?page=landingpage19

It might help figure out what shape you are and what would suit.

The style advisors in dundrum are supposed to be great, and as far as I know, its only €55 for a session. They'll spend a while telling you what would suit you, and finding out what your looking for. Then they'll bring you around the centre looking at things.
    http://www.dundrum.ie/style_what.asp

And good fitting underwear is the best tip ever. So get measured before you do anything, you might be surprised!! And also, wear good fitting underwear when trying things on, that way you'll see exactly how things will look :D

Advertisement