Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Broadband Problems

Options
  • 09-04-2008 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi, I have UTV broadband but am having problems and am not getting any signal. I rang UTV support who claim that there are on problems on all the exchanges in Ireland. I'm in Dublin 13 and was wondering if anyone else is having any problems?

Thanks.

Edited: I meant to say I rang UTV support.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 reduct101

Yeah, I've been having trouble since lunchtime yesterday. First it got flakey and then it was fine again until about 4pm yesterday (Tue 8th May), when it went down and STAYED DOWN :(

I tried a few power cycles, turned the router off and left if off for at least 10 minutes, tried a new microfilter, new phone cable, re-entering the settings and so on.

I just get a green power led and a green DSL led - no green internet led.

Troubleshooting fails at connection to ppp server - so there's no chance of authenticating.

I think the router is operational because I have full LAN and Wireless LAN connectivity - my home network is fine. It's just the old t'Internet that's unreachable :(

I contacted UTV support and they assigned me a ticket number and ignored me after that. The only reason I pay their high prices is that they are normally extremely reliable - I've had no more than 8 hours downtime in two years on Clicksilver ROI. You can get that with some providers in a month ;-)
    However, this experience is extremely frustrating, and with Smart offering the world for a few quid I'm more tempted than ever.
    If UTV start off by blaming my hardware, I'm off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

reduct101 wrote: »
    If UTV start off by blaming my hardware, I'm off.

No, you'll be ok. First they'll blame Eircom, then they'll blame viruses, then they'll blame your hardware.:pac:
    zemphis wrote:
    I rang BT support....

:confused::confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

kaizersoze wrote: »
    No, you'll be ok. First they'll blame Eircom, then they'll blame viruses, then they'll blame your hardware.:pac:

:confused::confused:

UTV blame Eircom for everything. Its a reflex with them. I once rang them about a billing problem and they blamed Eircom I kid thee not!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

UTV blame Eircom for everything

For anyone reselling an Eircom product this seems a reasonable place to start.

ardmacha wrote: »
    For anyone reselling an Eircom product this seems a reasonable place to start.

It would be reasonable if it had not become reflex for them over the years.

For example in the early days of bb UTV had regular problems which they used to blame on their 'upstream' provider. They were quite happy to allow everyone believe that this was Eircom when in fact it wasn't. (I cant remember the crowd now but I am sure someone can provide the name) UTV have regular dns problems which have been going on for years and they have not solved them.

And for a long time UTV promised to improve their ping but never managed to do it (at least while I with them!)

And to their eternal shame utv were the first isp to insist on their customers signing up to new contracts to avail of the benefit of reduced pricing (nothing to do with the Eircom issue but they deserve damning for it anyways!:))

And is it not strange that the customers of the other resellers don't seem to report on such a regular basis that their isps routinely blame Eircom?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Aepos

Hi All,

I lost connection on Sunday at around 4.00pm all things look normal , adsl light on, router says the signal is present but bo connection.
    Have made loads of calls to UTV support each with a wait of at least 30 mins the constant reply is "its a widespread Eircom problem". It is now Thursday and still the system is down with me.....is this a crap service or what?

I passed on my complaint to Comreg yesterday but I really don't expect that to make any difference at all to the situation, it just makes one feel abit better!

I just thank god that I am not trying to run a business from home.

Having to get into work at 7.30am to get private emails and ebay stuff done is not great but at least I do have that option.

Rant over for the moment, but will continue if I get home this evening and I still have no connection.

Cheers

Aepos

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

My UTV connection in shannon has been rock solid, so maybe it's down to the exchange(s).

Hi again, Well they (UTV) have now changed their story and it would appear the problem is now with UTV. Not all UTV customers are affected however.

It has taken the best part of 5 days to get that info and they have been telling everone that it was an Eircom problem till now.

I don't think these folks no which end is up.

Still we wait and wait etc.

Aepos

MarkR wrote: »
    My UTV connection in shannon has been rock solid, so maybe it's down to the exchange(s).

If the DSL light is solid but you're failing ppp, then it's the ISP problem and not the exchange/Eircom/whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭wintear

I have contacted UTV Technical support this morning. The issue is with a particular exchange and an issues with authentication.

They don't have a timeframe for a fix could be a few minutes, a few hours or a few days (hoppefully not).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055269922

Another thread on this. In fairness, this is not normal for utv.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭ISOT

If the DSL light is solid but you're failing ppp, then it's the ISP problem and not the exchange/Eircom/whatever.

utv down in westport for the last 24 hours or so- back at lunchtime when i checked - same issue as above, failing ppp. The funny thing is that another UTV customer on the other side of town is having no problems. So I wonder is an specific exchange problem at all ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nordenray

I'm having no problems with UTV. No connection problems in South Sligo. As UTV is a re-seller would Eircoms upgrading work for the forthcoming speed increase be having any effect

nordenray wrote: »
    I'm having no problems with UTV. No connection problems in South Sligo. As UTV is a re-seller would Eircoms upgrading work for the forthcoming speed increase be having any effect

I am sure UTV would have thought of that excuse if there was even the slightest possibility of it being true!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Mine is still down been 2 days now, eircom cant seem to fix the problem, i asked when they plan to find out how to fix it and the girl said eircom havent given them a DATE yet i was like date or time and just laughed. bit of a joke being honest.

Hi,

UTV is still down with me (since Sunday) the support line has a message stating that some customers in the republic are having difficulty and UTV engineers are working on the problem and hope to have it resolved shortly. This has been the message since Tuesday, So I wonder what UTV's definition of shortly is?

This has got to be the worst possible customer support possible, they dont reply to emails they have no info on the UTV website and when you eventually get through to a rep he/she seems to know very little about what is going on.

Oh well, where did I put that old dial up modem?

Oh rats, I remember now I sold it on Boards.

Ae

If my connection was down for that length of time I'd be gone from them like a shot no matter how reliable they've been in the past.

I am thinking exactly the same at the moment, the only thing is they seem to be the only provider including free calls to the UK in the talktime package.

Perhaps someone out there knows of a comparable but reliable alternative.
    If they do I'll bee gone like a rat up the proverbial S**thouse pipe!!!!

Sorry bout that but frustration is setting in big-time, & the missus is giving out yards over not being able to do her daily "mousing" and "googling".

Ae

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭wintear

My U.TV broadband is back now. Though from the past week I'm not sure for how long. This in the D13 area.

Aepos wrote: »
    I am thinking exactly the same at the moment, the only thing is they seem to be the only provider including free calls to the UK in the talktime package.

Perhaps someone out there knows of a comparable but reliable alternative.
    If they do I'll bee gone like a rat up the proverbial S**thouse pipe!!!!

Sorry bout that but frustration is setting in big-time, & the missus is giving out yards over not being able to do her daily "mousing" and "googling".

Ae

http://www.btireland.ie/AtHome_bb_talkalot.shtml

• Advertisement

Thanks kaizersoze for that I didn't think BT were doing that.

I'll give them a ring later.

Just got UTV back this afternoon. not bad 6 days to fix the problem!!

Must check out BT don't want to change my email address though

Ae

Aepos wrote: »
    Just got UTV back this afternoon. not bad 6 days to fix the problem!!

Must check out BT don't want to change my email address though

Ae

You don't have to. I still have my UTV address and I left them in 2004.:)

You don't have to. I still have my UTV address and I left them in 2004.:)

Great Thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Is anyone elses still down? Mine hasn't been back atall, but my cousins in the same town is back. It'll be a week on monday I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭DecTenToo

Has anyone noticed problems with the cache servers as well?

cache.utvinternet.com Port 80 not available
    ni-cache.utvinternet.com Port 80 not available
    ie-cache.utvinternet.com Port 80 available

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

DecTenToo wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed problems with the cache servers as well?

cache.utvinternet.com Port 80 not available
    ni-cache.utvinternet.com Port 80 not available
    ie-cache.utvinternet.com Port 80 available

Yep they are not working for me either... Which sucks because I use the NI server to access the bbc iplayer. Could they have blocked it from users in the south so that they cant access the iplayer etc?

I set IE to that cache server and now it isnt working at all. However firefox is working fine on the default settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭GUIGuy

Still down... that's just over a week now. The 'Eircom' stories that they might push are rubbish... my next door neighbour uses Eircom and his is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I wonder will they give us anything for the inconvenience - a month free or speed upgrade or something. Probably not though :(

Mines out a week tonight. Luckily my neighbours Eircom isnt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

ni-cache.utvinternet.com Port 80 is back working for me.

Advertisement