Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving schools in galway - help

Options
  • 09-04-2008 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭

I've been learning how to drive in galway since January. I've been to several instructors and they have all let me down. I'm finding it hard learning to drive going from instructor to instructor, and as a result i must have to say i'm bad at driving. My instructors just won't stay with me. My last instructor was supposed to phone me back for more lessons but he didn't. I rang, left a voice message and sent a text message, but I heard nothing. I can't understand where i went wrong. How else would a learner driver be - they're not going to learner how to drive overnight. I understand that every tom, dick and harry and their mothers are going for tests and need some pretests but they won't even take me for one hour.

Anyways sorry for that rant, needed to get that out of my system. Can anyone recommend a good driving school in galway. I want a female instructor for my next - i'm not going to any more male instructors. and some with plenty of patience.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭darling.x

I'm finding it hard learning how to drive because theres usually such a long wait for lessons in between instructors. With such a long wait i usually forget what i've learned. I really need a lesson on a weekly basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭galwaygirl08

I know u said u didn't want another male instructor but surely they aren't all the same!
    I am a learner driver also and have had at least 5 lessons with Liam Joyce. I found him good and very patient, which might put you at ease. ( Just to mention I am an extremely nervous driver)

The three driving instructors I had were male and they were all <SNIP>. I wouldn't feel comfortable with another male, but thanks for replying and recommending one.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭galwaygirl08

Would only love to recommend a female instructor to you, but most people i know have had male instructors! Strange too.
    Can't believe that they were that impatient with you, u'd think in their job patience would be a neccessity.
    Shifting from instructor to instructor will do nothing for your confidence either. Its nice to build up abit of a rapport with the instructor at the end of the day. Hope you find someone nice!

Have u applied for the test yet?

I was hoping to apply for a test soon and get a test for later in the year. My new years resolution was to learn to drive, save for a car, get a car and to go for test for september. At the rate i'm going with instructors i don't think i'll be ready for a test any time soon. It seems instructors are to busy doing pretests they don't have any time what so ever for beginners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Hey darling.x, I got lessons from Alan Graham at http://www.grahamschoolofmotoring.ie/ , I know you say you don't want another male but they really are excellent (it's him and his dad, one covers each side of the city - I've had lessons with both though) and really nice people. I had one other instructor and he was awful, was very happy to find these guys.

Oh and I just passed my first test 2 weeks ago so they're certainly good at their job! Can't recommend them enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

darling.x - I would find it difficult to believe that there could a problem with so many instructors. Driving instructors are accustomed to dealing with complete beginers and very nervous pupils.

However, some people make very poor pupils.

Are you listening to the instructions?
    Are you interupting them as they speak?
    Are you contradicting them as the give instruction?
    Are you getting you next question ready instead of listening to the instructions?

Please don't take offence to the above questions. I'm only playing devil's advocate. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭paddy316i

Yes I have to say that alot of learners just dont want to listen to people telling them what to do. Maybe its not true in this case.

I got lessons off a guy who I found very good. Peter Kelly is his name. I might be able to find his number if you want me to

Advertisement