Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi or Lidl?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

craichoe wrote: »
    Aldi and Lidl price all their stuff in Euros first.

Every market in the EU has price differences, I'm in the Netherlands and theres price differences between Germany, The Netherlands, Belgium and France. Media Markt for example in Germany can be cheaper for certain goods than Media Markt in the Netherlands.

The Euro/Sterling argument is rubbish, the price of a product is based on the purchasing power of the local consumer.

If you really want to avail of the price in a local area, then go there and buy it, thats what i do anyway, especially for Belgian beer! Its only 2 hours to drive to Antwerp and load up in a superstore :D

Getting eyewear i travel to Germany, sometimes if im in Dusseldorf too i'll get electronics goods there as Media Markt have good deals on there, their a bit of a rip off for the same store in Den Haag.

Meh .. I don't see what your beef is, other than its Lidl. Dixons, Currys, Pc World, Irish Ferries, Stena Line, British Airways, KLM... they all have price discrepencies in different currencies.

aren't you the privileged one in a position to be able to conveniently shop in several jurisdictions in mainland europe?
    i will refrain from describing your arguments as 'rubbish';
    suffice for me to state that the price of a product is based upon many different economic factors, not just on the purchasing power of the local consumer;
    the economic fact of life of purchasing power parity itself alone defeats your argument;
    your inability to see 'what (my) beef is' may be due to your priviliged market location;
    things aren't so rosy in the garden here in rip-off ireland.

I don't think either of them are great for the fresh foods though, fruit or veg. I wouldn't get potatoes out of them.

Where do you get your fruit and veg?? They are by far superior to the rest of the supermarkets.

I don't eat readymade foods. So that might be why I haven't picked up on a difference.
    But I prefer Lidl, because they have a better range of fruit and veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Just another observation but Aldi Kitchen Towels on a par with and half the price of Bounty !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Where do you get your fruit and veg?? They are by far superior to the rest of the supermarkets.

We splash out and go to Dunnes. We got potatoes in Dunnes and they are absolutely lovely. Best served smothered in Aldi beef gravy.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I don't eat readymade foods. So that might be why I haven't picked up on a difference.
    But I prefer Lidl, because they have a better range of fruit and veg.

I gave up buying fresh food (fruit & veg., meat and fish) from all supermarkets a while back. I got fed up of buying fruit on Saturday and finding it had gone off by Wednesday, of buying steaks that were so tough that you could not eat it, and fish that was just plain tasteless.
    I now go to the supermarket, which ever one, for the general groceries, the greengrocer for fruit & veg., the butcher for meat and the fish shop for my fish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Morgans

Wouldnt be a huge fan of the meat in lidl. Not awful but worth paying the money at a butchers. However, there are onion rings (crisps/snacks not frozen) that are made by Knights and are stocked in lidl. Best value in the shop to my mind and the best that I have tasted. Real craving value involved in Onion Rings. They also do a savoury packet of crisps that I tried once for a party as a backup to the regular snacks (prawn cocktail, smokey bacon, BBQ, and chicken) each of them was delicious. Again made by Knights and stocked at lidl. Great value both.

Their cereal bars are nice also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

+1 for the cereal bars :) and those caramel chocolate bars, smooth and rich.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Morgans wrote: »
    Wouldnt be a huge fan of the meat in lidl. Not awful but worth paying the money at a butchers.

i always find fresh meat in lidl seems to be packed and displayed better than aldi! it is in closed fridges which to my mind is better than the open front fridges in aldi. also they only put out smaller quantities at a time so less chance of anything going off! and again very competively priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Haven't been to Aldi much but have to say Lidl is very good. The perception that their fresh stuff like fruit and veg is inferior is complete rubbish. They stock a lot of organic produce, and compared with supervalu or tesco their stuff tastes better and is in better condition. As someone else mentioned, their selection of chocolate is very good as is their cheese. Wine is generally quite good for the price too. Don't eat ready meals too often but their lasagne is quite nice (though the frozen pizzas I've tried weren't great...) You also can't go wrong with their Hovis granary bread.

Because they are all about quality food at the cheapest price possilbe, you generally don't find them in the prime retail locations. This is probably why they haven't increased market share as much as you would imagine they should.

davej

We splash out and go to Dunnes. We got potatoes in Dunnes and they are absolutely lovely. Best served smothered in Aldi beef gravy.:D

Most all of the fruit and veg in my local Dunnes were out of date the last time I went in.
    I wouldn't buy the potato's in Lidl beause I look for different types at different times, but good potato's in Dunnes are a rip off. I buy them from a green grocer.

• Advertisement

dh0661 wrote: »
    I gave up buying fresh food (fruit & veg., meat and fish) from all supermarkets a while back. I got fed up of buying fruit on Saturday and finding it had gone off by Wednesday, of buying steaks that were so tough that you could not eat it, and fish that was just plain tasteless.
    I now go to the supermarket, which ever one, for the general groceries, the greengrocer for fruit & veg., the butcher for meat and the fish shop for my fish.

I think your 100% on the meat, but the fruit and veg isn't as fresh as Lidl in my local green grocer.
    They don't warehouse their veg, the make money by selling lots fast and that is why there veg is superior to thother supermarkets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Firetrap wrote: »
    Lidl is cheaper than Aldi. Personally, I like Aldi's foodstuffs more than Lidl's but I happily shop in both.

Have to agree here...for instance a week or two back I needed some car mats...both places had them on offer at roughly the same time.
    I picked up the set in lidl on a thursday...€7.99
    Was out in aldi the sunday after....exact same car mats (Auto XS brand)...€9.99

The lidl in question is closer to town centre, is newer and more parking...but I found that compared to the older aldi the prices were mostly lower.

Another one complaining about the bread in these places though, especially naans or crosiants and that type of thing; might be cheap but it tastes like sh*t...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

The pasta tomato sauces in Lidl are lovely and half the price of the ones in Dunnes, so is the pesto sauces. ANd the strawberry jam is lovely with loads of fruit in it.

Advertisement