Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

"High Mileage" BMW e46

Options
  • 09-04-2008 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭

What's considered high mileage for a BMW e46?
    I'm looking at a 2005 325i with 104k miles on it. I know that's a lot for any '05 car*, but what sort of confidence would you have in a BMW of that mileage?

It's for sale from a dealer, so at least it's been inspected and whatnot, and I can probably get an extended warranty on it if I want it.

There's really no point in me stating the price, because over here the market's going to be so different, it's impossible to compare.

I just basically want to know is this something I should avoid just because of the mileage, or should I consider it?

* - At least doing so many miles in such a short time, it's likely to be mostly warm-engine, highway travel.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Balfa wrote: »
    I'm looking at a 2005 325i with 104k miles on it. I know that's a lot for any '05 car*, but what sort of confidence would you have in a BMW of that mileage?

It's for sale from a dealer, so at least it's been inspected and whatnot, and I can probably get an extended warranty on it if I want it.

There's really no point in me stating the price, because over here the market's going to be so different, it's impossible to compare.

I just basically want to know is this something I should avoid just because of the mileage, or should I consider it?

* - At least doing so many miles in such a short time, it's likely to be mostly warm-engine, highway travel.

104 is actually low if the car has been looked after be it petrol or diesel. If it hasn't then it could be spent in another 30-40k....

Petrol cars can do well over 300k if looked after....as for diesel well I was in taxi recently - Mercedes 2.2TD 94'. It had 415k on the clock and was going sound.

Oil is a real engine saver. Change it regularily. I change mine every 3k miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Balfa wrote: »

AFAIK BMW engines are designed for 200k miles. So it's just over halfway there, i.e. there should be loads of life left in it, especially as in all probability it did a lot of Motorway miles(I think someone once said that 100k Motorway miles was the same as 25k urban driving miles), so the engine has had a good if busy life. Get a good deal for it though, when a car passes the 100k mark people usually want to run a mile when you try to sell it. If you look after your car it will just run and run.

Is it really necessary to change the oil in a car as often as 3,000 miles? Surely modern engines only need an oil change when they're serviced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

E92 wrote: »
    AFAIK BMW engines are designed for 200k miles. So it's just over halfway there, i.e. there should be loads of life left in it, especially as in all probability it did a lot of Motorway miles(I think someone once said that 100k Motorway miles was the same as 25k urban driving miles), so the engine has had a good if busy life. Get a good deal for it though, when a car passes the 100k mark people usually want to run a mile when you try to sell it. If you look after your car it will just run and run.

Is it really necessary to change the oil in a car as often as 3,000 miles? Surely modern engines only need an oil change when they're serviced?

Yeah it's a good idea to change the oil every 3k especially when the mileage is a little higher although the 3k service thing was originally started as a marketing gimmick I think in the 70's.

Some might say your mad but short spins in the car, traffic stop and go driving are reasons to change your oil more often.

Having said all that the fella that had the merc with 415k only gets the oil changed every 6k which is probably the recommened....I think he could see my logic though regarding changing it every 3k so perhaps he will start doing that.

I would be interested to hear others opinions on this matter though.

Ive also read that some condition called blowby which all engines have but gets worse as the mileage increases....basically it's some fuel that does not get burned in the cylinder and gets into the crankcase diluting the oil....Don't understand that one myself tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

No offence workaccount but oil change every 3000 seems a little extreme. I do mine every 5000, though I have a diesel.

What do you drive that needs such tlc? Are you keeping the car for a long time? Are you using fully synthetic?

BTW not knocking you or anything, infact kudos for taking such care of her, more people should be like you.

OP: I would say that the car would be fine at that mileage as BMWs can take high miles well. In fact one of my mates got an e46 with 116k miles on it a couple months ago and its perfect. The one thing I willl day though is that you will find it very difficult to sell on once your finished with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I also read that some condition called blowby which all engines have but gets worse as the mileage increases....basically it's some fuel that does not get burned in the cylinder and gets into the crankcase diluting the oil....Don't understand that one myself tbh.

All cars do it, when hot and cold; more-so when cold - piston and piston rings expand when they get hot and create a tighter seal against cylinder wall. There will still be some blow-by when the engine has reached operating temperature, but if this is excessive the car won't run right.

My neighbours 520i is approaching 300k miles, and that is his daily runabout. If you take care of them..........

• Advertisement
Advertisement