Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap Dell laptop

• 09-04-2008 7:27pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I got a brochure in work this morning offering a Dell Vostro 1000 (its a Sempron +3600 processor, 120Gb HDD, 1Gb RAM, 15.4" widescreen, 8*DVDRW etc) for Euro 249 +vat Seems slightly unbelievably cheap? I know the processor isn't up to much- but a new laptop for 300 quid all-in?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

You'd have to pay €60 shipping on top of that. So €360 for that or just over €500 for a really good spec vostro 1000, I know which one I'd go for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

About €338 with VAT and delivery for the same spec except an 80GB HDD instead of 120GB. Would you be better going for XP than Vista? Would selling on Ebay be classed as a small business?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭twanda

Hi,
    How can they tell if you actually have a small business or not?
    Do you need a VAT number?
    Has anyone who doesn't have a small business managed to buy one of these?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

smccarrick wrote: »
    I got a brochure in work this morning offering a Dell Vostro 1000 (its a Sempron +3600 processor, 120Gb HDD, 1Gb RAM, 15.4" widescreen, 8*DVDRW etc) for Euro 249 +vat Seems slightly unbelievably cheap? I know the processor isn't up to much- but a new laptop for 300 quid all-in?

Do you have an e-value code? or can i just get this on the dell site?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

twanda wrote: »
    Hi,
    How can they tell if you actually have a small business or not?
    Do you need a VAT number?
    Has anyone who doesn't have a small business managed to buy one of these?
    Thanks
    You don't need to have a business to buy a vostro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Dell wrote:
    atalog Number: 5102 N0410013
    Module Description Show Details
    Base AMD® Athlon 64 X2 Mobile Technology TK57
    Microsoft Operating System Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium - English
    Memory 2048 MB 667MHz Dual-Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2x 1024 MB)
    Keyboard Internal Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY)
    Video Card ATI Radeon® Xpress 1150 HyperMemory (integrated)
    Hard Drive 120GB (5400rpm) SATA Hard Drive
    Modem 56.6k V.92 Capable Internal Modem & Adapter - Ireland/Spain
    Optical Devices Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including Software
    Wireless Networking Dell™ Wireless 1395 Mini-Card (802.11 b/g)
    Shipping Documents English Documentation with English/Irish Power Cord
    Gedis Bundle Reference N0410013
    Microsoft Application Software Microsoft® Works 9.0 - English
    Standard Warranty 1Yr Basic Warranty - Next Business Day
    Enhanced Service Packs 1Yr Basic Warranty - Next Business Day Included - No Upgrade Selected
    CompleteCare Declined CompleteCare
    Protect your new PC No Security/Anti-Virus Protection
    Power Supply 65W AC Adapter
    Bluetooth No Bluetooth Card included
    Order Information Vostro Laptop Order - Ireland
    Primary Battery 6 cell Lithium-Ion Battery (53 Whr)
    Carrying Cases No Carry Case
    Dell System Media Kit Resource DVD - (Diagnostics & Drivers)
    Online Promotion Option for GEDIS Configs Dell Internet Order
    LCD 15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display with TrueLife™

Specced this on the online site
    comes in at €523.93 incl delivery and shipping....

Are you sure cos I thought they asked you the name of your business or something? Is there some catch because they are very cheap?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Dman001 wrote: »
    Are you sure cos I thought they asked you the name of your business or something? Is there some catch because they are very cheap?

You can put any business name at all down that you feel like. There is no catch- but the processor on the basic model is crap. S.

But when you compare this laptop to the EEE PC, which is a simular price, it is much better.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

But when you compare this laptop to the EEE PC, which is a simular price, it is much better.

Its also 115 times bigger :D

• Advertisement

conzymaher wrote: »
    Its also 115 times bigger :D

Thats what I was going to say :D

S.

But when you consider that this has 1GB memory, 80GB HDD and Vista/XP I think you'd get over the size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

But when you consider that this has 1GB memory, 80GB HDD and Vista/XP I think you'd get over the size.

No you wouldn't. The USP of the eee PC IS the size. It is why I am getting one next week and wouldn't bother with this dell!

maidhc wrote: »
    No you wouldn't. The USP of the eee PC IS the size. It is why I am getting one next week and wouldn't bother with this dell!

I have both. I cart the eeepc with me everywhere, while the Dell has been relagated to the role of desktop replacement machine. I installed XP Pro on the eeepc in order to make use of the 2Gb of RAM I upgraded it to. Its a tiny little machine- and the looks of pure envy you get when you take it out. Its almost as though Bugatti brought out very limited numbers of a small hatchback for consumers and everyone wants one, but they are so hard to get hold of.....

By the way- its been leaked that Dell are launching an eeepc spoiler in July, based on Intels new ultramobile platform (as soon as they can get hold of chips). Preproduction models are already knocking about :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭hansov

Have ye got a Link lads?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I bought one of these for the old man. It's slow, but grand for non-techies.

Wouldn't touch the EEE with a barge pole. It's a fashion victim item.

adam

dahamsta wrote: »

Wouldn't touch the EEE with a barge pole. It's a fashion victim item.

It fully boots into XP Pro in just under 16 seconds and the o/s has a footprint under 280Mb. You're not going to play modern games on it- but for a spot of on the go db work, webconferencing etc- it really hits the spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭maradona10

this advice is for anybody buying a dell laptop or desktop that comes with a choice of vista or xp at no extra charge

1 choose the vista option
    2 get a copy of xp from someone as they are plentiful and install xp. this overwrites vista and frees up memory making your machine faster.
    3 sell your vista

maradona10 wrote: »
    this advice is for anybody buying a dell laptop or desktop that comes with a choice of vista or xp at no extra charge

1 choose the vista option
    2 get a copy of xp from someone as they are plentiful and install xp. this overwrites vista and frees up memory making your machine faster.
    3 sell your vista

Errr- its an OEM copy of Vista that is licenced to a particular machine. Isn't it illegal to resell OEM software?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Has to go with the hardware AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

smccarrick wrote: »
    ts been leaked that Dell are launching an eeepc spoiler in July, based on Intels new ultramobile platform (as soon as they can get hold of chips). Preproduction models are already knocking about :)

Tell me more about this please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Installing someone else's copy of XP is a breach of the licence.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

BostonB wrote: »
    Has to go with the hardware AFAIK.
    I think that's it. The license is tied to the motherboard. If you want to sell the lisense (I don't even know if the agreement allows it) then you'd have to sell the motherboard as well I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I think its a bit more vague than that.

Tell me more about this please.

Link here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I am thinking to getting a cheap desktop or waiting for some of those cheapo mini computers.

Elonex are bringing out a £99 PC in the coming months.

Elonex machine's specs: 7in, 800 x 480 display; 300MHz LNX Code 8 processor; 128MB of DDR 2 memory; 1GB solid-state drive; 802.11b/g Wi-FI; 10/100Mb/s Ethernet port; two USB 2.0 ports; and a four-hour, three-cell battery.

Elonex said the keyboard is not only removable but "splash-proof", and both halves of the machine sport a "mouse emulator".

The LNX Code 8 processor is new to us, too, but at 300MHz, it's not going to challenge the Eee's 900MHz Intel chip much. It runs the Linos version of Linux

Cork wrote:

Elonex are bringing out a £99 PC in the coming months.

Elonex machine's specs: 7in, 800 x 480 display; 300MHz LNX Code 8 processor; 128MB of DDR 2 memory; 1GB solid-state drive; 802.11b/g Wi-FI; 10/100Mb/s Ethernet port; two USB 2.0 ports; and a four-hour, three-cell battery.

Elonex said the keyboard is not only removable but "splash-proof", and both halves of the machine sport a "mouse emulator".

The LNX Code 8 processor is new to us, too, but at 300MHz, it's not going to challenge the Eee's 900MHz Intel chip much. It runs the Linos version of Linux

I've put a booking deposit on 2 already, directly with Elonex (a tenner each)- a lime green one for me, and a pink one for the wife. I think these are more aimed at "One" market than the eeepc- they really have had the guts cut from them. Still- more nice eye candy- and at such a reasonable price too.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Can you plug in a standard keyboard to these devices - If you are typing large documents?
    What is meant by "One" market ?

Cork wrote: »
    Can you plug in a standard keyboard to these devices - If you are typing large documents?
    What is meant by "One" market ?

Yes- a standard USB keyboard (not PS2). Support may have to be enabled at a BIOS level, but I can't see it being a problem.

One- is the name given to Delaponte's rugged educational laptop that is being pushed in the third world. Its a hefty hunk of a thing though- compared to the elfin EEEPC......

S.

• Advertisement
Advertisement