Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

...sushi?

Options
  • 09-04-2008 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, I usually hang around the Sligo forum but as I'm 99% certain there's no sushi in Sligo I figured I'd try Galway.

Basically, I've been craving sushi for about 6 months now. I don't particularly want to travel to Dublin (can you blame me?) so I was hoping there was a decent place in Galway.

(my mouth is watering at the very thought of a dragon roll)

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Kappa-ya on Middle St does sushi but I think they keep unusual hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Yeah, there is Kappa-ya, but the choice is kinda limited, so I'm not sure if it'll cure those cravings of yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

There is sushi served at the Galway street market every Saturday I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Jamey wrote: »
    There is sushi served at the Galway street market every Saturday I think.

Yep, Galway market has it

Not sure about variety but the stuff does look tasty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Veggie rolls, teryaki chicken rolls, smoked salmon rolls, and "japanese" rolls (omelette, vegetables).

*addict*

There's nothing stopping you from making your own. Everything you need is available in various shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Aw, I work on Saturdays :(

I can make my own, sure. But I'd have to go to Galway for the ingredients anyhow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

speaking of the market, what time does it kick off at usually?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Waay back in the day, I used to set up our stall at 5 (and go back to bed, we lived right beside, and noone buys jewellery before 9!), we would see folks setting up then!

Night owl meself, I don't go in earlier than 10 or 11, but I think 7 or 8 start maybe?

Those sushi folks are lovely (and yes it is tasty) but that and the restaurant have a TINY selection, I used to live in a sushi paradise. But their stuff hits the spot, if that's the spot needing hitting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

I too have a sushi addiction so can feel your pain. Kappa -Ya on middle street do sushi and they're also the people that sell it in the market BUT (as far as I can tell) they don't have a restaurant license for preparing raw fish so their sushi choices are : vegetable, smoked salmon, egg or chicken. Not real sushi in my eyes but it does quell the cravings somewhat.

After going through months of cold turkey I stocked up on supplies last time I was in Dublin (sushi rice, rice vinegar, seaweed sheets, wasabi, miso etc. (maybe you can get these in Galway but I haven't seen them anywhere, there is an asian supermarket around dominink street somewhere but their stock is very limited, the health food shops stock some stuff but it's not the real mccoy)) and then went to the seafood shop down on the docks and got (among other things) the most delicious piece of tuna I have ever had, came home, created total chaos in my kitchen but successfully made a platter of damn fine sushi rolls.

My advice: Make it yourself, it'll be far better than anything you can get around here. It's really not hard to make at all. Once you have the ingredients and have practiced once or twice you could throw together a sushi meal in a matter of minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Apparently sushi platters are back in Marks & Spencers in Roches/Debenhams

• Advertisement

I forgot they did sushi. Cheers biko!

No prob mate. Click my post_thanks.gif

I haven't been there a while but a friend saw sushi there last week anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

dafunk wrote: »
    I too have a sushi addiction

You know sushi's not vegetarian right!?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055265319&highlight=vegetarian

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

biko wrote: »
    Apparently sushi platters are back in Marks & Spencers in Roches/Debenhams

Best bit of news I've heard in a while! Thanks!
    They used to have Sushi but then took if off the market due to quality issues (the stuff had to be shipped from somewhere, and that caused certain freshness concerns, or so one of the staff in M&S told me back then). But great to hear it's back.

If you want to make your own: Tescos now have a nice little section for Sushi ingredients (Sushi rice, rice vinegar, etc) and you get the Nori sheets, pickled ginger and wasabi in Evergreen.

Ha ha! I am well aware of that! I am a pescetarian, I was a veggie for about 10 years though and still eat veggie for at least 20 of my 21 meals a week. You don't have to be veggie to want to eat in a veggie restaurant anyway. You just have to be an appreciator of food!

Ha ha! I am well aware of that! I am a pescetarian, I was a veggie for about 10 years though and still eat veggie for at least 20 of my 21 meals a week. You don't have to be veggie to want to eat in a veggie restaurant anyway. You just have to be an appreciator of food!

I dunno... I think I'd refuse to pay for a meal that didn't have meat in it...

I imagine vegetarians just go round the place p*ssed off and hungry :p

I think the term 'Sushi' actually just means 'roll' or something like that..the fact that there's usually fish in it is incidental :)
    Anyone know the translation?

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

Good Indian vegetarian places would be the only way I could be convinced to eat vegetarian on a regular basis now.

I dunno... I think I'd refuse to pay for a meal that didn't have meat in it...

I imagine vegetarians just go round the place p*ssed off and hungry :p

:lol:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

I'm pretty sick of Kappa-ya's tiny selection, there is an asian tea-house thingy-ma-bob opening on Mary st sometime this year, hopefully they'll do sushi.

• Advertisement

Thanks dafunk, I do think I'm going to go the route of making my own. I'll get down to Dublin one of these days for the ingredients and never look back! Self sufficiency eh?

As for Tesco having sushi making ingredients... perhaps the Tescos in Galway do. Our Tesco has trouble stocking cucumbers. I absolutely wish I were kidding. To go from living in an apartment above a Sushi restaurant, an artisan/French Bakery, a pub and a gourmet pizza place to living in Sligo.... is an adjustment, so to say.

inisboffin wrote: »
    I think the term 'Sushi' actually just means 'roll' or something like that..the fact that there's usually fish in it is incidental :)
    Anyone know the translation?
    Sushi refers to food prepared with special sushi rice vinegar.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Xiney wrote: »
    Thanks dafunk, I do think I'm going to go the route of making my own. I'll get down to Dublin one of these days for the ingredients and never look back! Self sufficiency eh?
    Order off of the internets.
    As for Tesco having sushi making ingredients... perhaps the Tescos in Galway do. Our Tesco has trouble stocking cucumbers. I absolutely wish I were kidding. To go from living in an apartment above a Sushi restaurant, an artisan/French Bakery, a pub and a gourmet pizza place to living in Sligo.... is an adjustment, so to say.

Bistro Bianconi?

po0k wrote: »

Yep, apparently you can buy all that stuff online alright. I only got stuff from Dublin because I was going anyway. There's a fantastic Asian supermarket in Rathmines, at the town end of it, George's street has a reputable one aswell although I haven't been there so I don't know.

There's an Asian supermarket on Dominick Street, I couldn't tell you if they have the fixins for a sushi though...

Good idea - avoiding Dublin at all costs ftw.
    Bistro Bianconi?

I wouldn't really call that gourmet pizza - over priced, yes. But nothing special.

Plus, Bistro Bianconi doesn't exist where we were living (Montreal)

biko wrote: »
    Sushi refers to food prepared with special sushi rice vinegar.

Yup, thanks..'with vinegar' is what a friend just translated...so vegi folks, fire away! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Xiney wrote: »
    Good idea - avoiding Dublin at all costs ftw.

I wouldn't really call that gourmet pizza - over priced, yes. But nothing special.

Plus, Bistro Bianconi doesn't exist where we were living (Montreal)

I wouldn't call Bistro Bianconi over-priced - compared to the stuff you get in Dominoes, Four Star, etc - their 12 '' are actually cheaper, and the pizzas are a lot nicer (at least in Galway....)

Advertisement