Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Comic hooked you?

Options
  • 09-04-2008 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭

There was a piece linked on newarama asking about a dozen comic creators what comic was the first to hook them. So what was the one that hooked you?

For me it was Uncanny X-men 317 - smack bang in the middle of the phalanx covenant. I'd flicked through comics before that and had picked a number up but this was the first one I really remember wanting to read the next issue. Generation X came out of it and next thing I knew I was picking up every single x-book going and it just snowballed from there.

317-13.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Transformers would of been the first comic that I would collect religiously every week. It always annoyed me how the great storylines in the comic where never reproduced in the cartoon series.

Issue 3 was the first I had.

448px-MarvelUK-3.jpg

After that it was probably the Secret Wars comic that I got into... and that introduced me to the Marvel universe in general.

I used to get a lot of 2000 AD as well as I was a huge fan of Nemeses the Warlock.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'm not sure I can name the first comic to hook me - as a kid I used to read Asterix & Tintin comics regularly, as well as following spanish comics with characters like Mortadelo & Filemon, or Zipi & Zape.

domingobernabeu0di.jpg

A few years later, I started reading superhero comics, but the only ones to ever hook me were Iron Man & X-Men (although it wasn't so much the X-men as a whole that hooked me, so much as Gambit and Wolverine), and that was what eventually got me to the stage I'm at now of happily spending stupid amounts of money every week on comics :)

200px-Iron_Man_331.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

2000AD for donkeys years. before that beano and the dandy etc. They lead into Oink! then into 2000ad. From there ****e like Spawn and The Maxx etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Ah yes.. Oink! How could I forget. I had issue one with the pink flexi record.

Scream was great too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭alnolan

Mine was Warlord and Hotspur -- especially King Cobra drawn by Ron Smith. Then 2000ad of course. I particularly remember being blown away by Bolland's take on Mount Rushmore in the Judge Dredd Cursed Earth saga, as well as the Soul Food chapter. I love them still...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Man, King Cobra was awesome! I remember reading my brother's Hotspur annuals and that was blatantly the coolest thing in it (well, barring maybe Kelso, that weird secret agent guy who, I think, "didn't smoke but always carried a lighter", allowing him to perform such feats as fending off attacking lions and the like).

I remember getting my hands on the odd issue of Judge Dredd and 2000AD, but never on any regular basis - maybe once every few months. Had a few annuals though, including one with a really cool story about serial killers and attempted record-setting...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,837 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The Complete Judge Dredd 9 - October, 1992.

compjd9.jpg

Still have it around somewhere. Fairly tattered at this point.

Then a little while later I found 2000AD prog 811 in a bonfire just before it was lit.

811.jpg

My parents thought it was too violent though for my young mind :( So I didn't start collecting it on a weekly basis for a couple of years after.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

feel very left out on the 2000AD front - my Mum wouldn't let me get it. She got me Bunty from the age of 6 till I was nearly 12 religiously every week - still have most of them in her attic. My two cousins got 2000AD and I was so jealous when I went to their house cus not only did they get the comic but their Mum painted huge murals based on pages from it on their bedroom walls and on the ceiling - bastards :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

My first US comic was X.men #25 I think, but I'd been treading the Marvel UK re-prints of Transformers, as well as Exploits of SPiderman, and Overkill for years before that.

God those were good times...

• Moderators Posts: 51,774 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

The comic that got me started was Eagle.
    My aunt offered to buy me a comic on weekly basis when I was a kid. Doomlord was the strip that prompted me to choose Eagle.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭spooydermot

Seeing the cover of that 2000AD with Finn on it takes me back. That publication had some really great artwork.

When I was a lot younger it was the Transformers comic (i assume the UK one) and then later on 2000AD. Just looking at the cover there of the UK Transformers comic: 25p! and what now? €4.50 - €5.50 ......madness

Course years later and I'm back buying the Transformers comic, speaking of which - is it just me or are there less copies available? (possibly with the closure of the 3rd place) pretty sure I missed this weeks issue and the Spotlight:Mirage.

2000ad had some great story lines: Button Man, ABC Warrios (particularly Kronichles of Khaos) and Rouge Trooper

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Amazing Spider-Man No. 260 got me started on Spidey and it just grew from there. Wish I still had it.

AmazingSpider-Man260.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Seeing the cover of that 2000AD with Finn on it takes me back. That publication had some really great artwork.

When I was a lot younger it was the Transformers comic (i assume the UK one) and then later on 2000AD. Just looking at the cover there of the UK Transformers comic: 25p! and what now? €4.50 - €5.50 ......madness

Course years later and I'm back buying the Transformers comic, speaking of which - is it just me or are there less copies available? (possibly with the closure of the 3rd place) pretty sure I missed this weeks issue and the Spotlight:Mirage.

2000ad had some great story lines: Button Man, ABC Warrios (particularly Kronichles of Khaos) and Rouge Trooper

i got spotlight mirage a few weeks back man so ya missed that one (i was fecking lucky to get arcee as well as there was only 3 left) i havent a clue what the story is on "focus on decepticons" .there was none in either of the comic shops i went to so it either sold out or didnt ship. i know its definetly on sale in the states this week

in regards to the OP im not actually sure.

my older brother was a comic nut and bought loads of titles that he used to get in the alchemist heads and the twilight zone but he had a regular order for 2000ad since it started and ive vivid memories of my uncle reading it to me as a four year old. i literally forced taught myself to read in primary so i could read it for myself by the time i was five. my two big favourites in that was rogue trooper and slaine. oddly i was never that fond of dredd prefering some of the more weird stuff like thargs future shocks , time twisters and good ole ace trucking co. :)

my US experience was generally based on my bro's collection which he left lying around with pretty much covered most of the marvel universe at around the dark phoenix saga in xmen , trial of reed richards in fantastic four, alco iron man of the iron monger period and walt simonsons thor period with surtur.
    i liked firestorm and green lantern but the rest of the DC stuff left me kinda cold. looking back it was a damn jammy period to be casually reading.

but if were talking what got me to go in and buy comics myself it was transformers. i'd taken over my brothers order of 2000ad but i dont think it counts as one i'd chosen. i started around issue 58 of the UK TF title but it was the "target 2006" storyline that cemented that book for me. it just blew me away. furman was doing ellis in that before anyone even heard of the guy :):)
    i stuck with the book till it was cancelled and by then had picked up xmen again and ghost rider (which i'd fond memories of as a kid) and then went nuts during the whole image period where i pretty much would give any title from any company a chance.

have to confess though that thanks to getting burned by marvel editorial over the years and the general decline in decent comics (imo) ive pretty much gone from a stage of getting 20 odd books to about one or two now. ive pretty much gone exclusive to trades as i simply cant afford the hobby anymore on an individual basis. its weird, i dont think comic have been gifted with such good writers in ages but for the life of me im just not as enthused as i used to be.

still, its nice to curl up with the latest TF book. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭JangoFett

Jeez, you guys have been reading and collecting for a long ass time.

I've always been into comics ever since I was a kid but I never bought them. The cartoons were like a daily ritual for me, especially the Batman Animated series. Nothing as good as that, and the X-Men animated series was ****ing great as well as Spiderman, but what got me collecting was a trip to New York in 2003 with my brother, went to the comic book shops there and picked up one of the early issues of Superman/Batman, went in the next day and picked up another few issues of it, I started on issue 6 or 7 and now have every single issue. At the same time I started collecting green lantern and thats a love affair I can tell you. Getting GL back issues is a passion!!

I'm a n00b compared to you guys but I gotta start somewhere! My brother started around the same time and the Batman titles got him going, Hush was going or maybe just done when he started collecting, good time to start!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Thecrow.jpg

Only comic i was really into ever. have the above version and three random different spin offs my friend got me when she was on holiday.
    other than those the only other one ive read was a sin city one all about Dwight. read cover to cover in between band practice one day when the singer brought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭viv.ie

Preacher is my favorite comic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

Transformers FTW

In alter years after that ended I was reading Marvel UKs "Exploits of Spider-man". Then onto X-men, as that and X-force were the only titles available in Waterford. Once I discovered Forbidden Planet the whole world of comics opened up to me.

I even had a little cartel going for a while, a group of us would order comics from overseas every month :D

Ah but those were the halycon days of my youth!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

As a kid I read Buster, the Beano and the Dandy :pac:
    They were brilliant!!

About the age of 10-12 I started reading "Scream", anyone remember that? It was a horror comic and caused uproar when it was launched.

I got into 2000AD for a while but eventually drifted away from comics at about 15 and started spending my money on Role-playing games instead.

Advertisement