Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pre Game Warm Up

• 09-04-2008 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭

Just thought I'd bring this up seeing as a new season is upon us. A few times over the last year we've said that getting a warm up in is a priority. But we still haven't gotten into the habit of doing it! Most teams in this league don't either. Doing a proper warm up gives you an advantage over a team who start cold and also prevents injuries. I know with people turning up late and stuff it can be difficult but can we meet an hour ahead of a late kick off, set a warm up routine so everyone knows it and then players can do this individually if kick off is tight or whatever.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭WeAreShels

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Just thought I'd bring this up seeing as a new season is upon us. A few times over the last year we've said that getting a warm up in is a priority. But we still haven't gotten into the habit of doing it! Most teams in this league don't either. Doing a proper warm up gives you an advantage over a team who start cold and also prevents injuries. I know with people turning up late and stuff it can be difficult but can we meet an hour ahead of a late kick off, set a warm up routine so everyone knows it and then players can do this individually if kick off is tight or whatever.

Yeah I completely agree with this, meant to say it at the meeting thing we had before one of our games last season. Everyone should be getting a touch of the ball before kickoff too instead of hoofing in crosses for half an hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

WeAreShels wrote: »
    Yeah I completely agree with this, meant to say it at the meeting thing we had before one of our games last season. Everyone should be getting a touch of the ball before kickoff too instead of hoofing in crosses for half an hour

Exactly. Even at U-8s you'd get screamed at for doing that rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Fatmag

Its grand meeting up an hour before the match if the pitch is free, but if there's a match on there's no room to do a proper warm up or drills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Lads, it's a good suggestion to say we should be doing proper warmups - I was on about that for 2 seasons so glad to hear it coming from new voices.

Bar Tuesday, I don't recall many times when we have had a pitch available before our game and not done some form of warmup. Tuesday there was many late arrivals due to early kick-off.

At training at the start of last season and at a match midway through, I went through a stretching routine with everyone there and was planning on doing it at first opportunity this season for the benefit of new players.

As Art points out, most of the time we have to prepare without a pitch, and it's down to individuals to take the responsibility to ensure they're stretched and there's only the same few that do it each week. Cos of this and the nature of our squad turning up in drips and drabs, it is down to lads to do their own stretching and not be standing around waiting for the kit to arrive - you can do some stretching even in trousers. We will continue to warm up as a group where there is the opportunity for it.

I got sick of telling lads for 2 seasons to bring loose tracksuit top and bottoms to every game but new season new effort: These should be worn through warmup up to 2 minutes before kick-off and on the sidelines so subs are warm but should be possible to pull them off in seconds when coming on. More important in winter but still applies at any time.

If that's the way pros do it, by definition you're not going to be able to play 100% to your potential if you don't do that and are also increasing the risk of getting injured - each man owes it to his team to both stretch properly and ensure he is properly covered up on the sideline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

My suggestion for meeting an hour beforehand just has to be done once so all the new people and anyone else who might have forgotten how to warm up properly knows what to do. Columbas for example has loads of space to warm up above the pitch even. So that if there is a game on we can still get it done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Loads of space in the grounds of Wesley College too tbh.

We are playing at 8 on Tuesday.

Advertisement