Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Think The Wife's Fiesta's Dead !

Options
  • 09-04-2008 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭

Folks,

My wife's Fiesta after 5 years of utter reliabilty decided to overheat yesterday and I think that it's died.

It's the 1.3 petrol Endura engine and it's now leaking water from a gasket at the back of the engine on the part of the block where the hoses for the heater connect. There's no water in the oil or visa versa so I hope that the head gasket has survived.

Does anybody know what that part of the engine block is ? It looks like it may be a water cooling jacket of some sort. Alternatively does anybody know where I can get a decent diagram of the engine ?

Any comments (preferably something other than 'oh your fecked mate'), or from anybody with any real experience of this engine ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Redjeep! wrote: »
    It's the 1.3 petrol Endura engine and it's now leaking water from a gasket at the back of the engine on the part of the block where the hoses for the heater connect. There's no water in the oil or visa versa so I hope that the head gasket has survived.

Does anybody know what that part of the engine block is ? It looks like it may be a water cooling jacket of some sort. Alternatively does anybody know where I can get a decent diagram of the engine ?
    /QUOTE]

So what's happens when you turn the key?

There's two main parts to the engine. Engine block and the head of the engine. The head gasket is the main gasket between head and engine block. The only system that could be leaking if it's water is the cooling system.

The only place water get's cooled is in the radiator. Are you sure you have not got totally mixed up and are calling the back of the engine the front?? If so, your radiator or pipes into it are probably frigged and very repairable. What makes you think the car is frigged? Is it just overheating?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Thermostat housing might be gone?
    They have a habit of going on that engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

Thanks for the quick reply.

The water is leaking from what looks like a manifold connected to a portion of the engine block at the rear of the engine - i.e. the part facing backwards towards the bulkhead - the opposite side to the radiator. It's not the gasket between the block and the head, but there is what looks like a fairly thick ( about 1 mm) gasket between this manifold and the block - the gasket is position vertical, along the back of the engine block - it looks like a water cooling manifold or something.

The hose that is near to this is the supply to the heater.

The car will run if you start it up, but leaks water all over the drive way.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

Thanks Plug - but it's not the thermostat housing, that the dome shaped thing on the front left of the engine. This is a flat manifold on the back of the engine.

I'm beginning to think it's the inlet manifold - just odd because the heater hoses go thro' it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

There's two main parts to the engine. Engine block and the head of the engine. There's just one gasket - the head gasket. The only system that could be leaking if it's water is the cooling system.
    That's a complete over simplification, and pretty wrong. For starters there are dozens of gaskets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Redjeep! wrote: »

I'm beginning to think it's the inlet manifold - just odd because the heater hoses go thro' it.

That'd be normal enough , its to prevent it from icing up in the cold . Some have electric heaters instead . Think of the way an aerosol gets cold when you spray a lot of it in one go etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I looked at my engine this morning (same one) and I'm certain he's talking about the inlet manifold, though it's obviously at the back of the head, not the block as he said.

Advertisement