Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV dialup - having any problems at the server?

Options
  • 09-04-2008 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

Just checking, as I'm trying to sort out not being able to send email (from either Firefox or Outlook Express), and have tried everything I can think of. If there's some problem at UTV's server I won't waste any more time on settings.

I've been reading about similar problems in a UK forum, that turned out to be caused by some change at the ISP's server. They sometimes coincide with a sudden reduction in spam, which I've also had recently. The UK ISP(s) concerned had done some new thing or other to block spam, which caused problems with people's ougoing (SMPT) settings

I'll try ringing UTV tomorrow if nobody knows by then (but their helpline seems to have gone the way of everyone else's; it used to be excellent).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Looks as if it's trubble at t'server, not my settings.

I checked for clues at UTV's website before ringing their tech help, looked at a 'What are my settings' FAQ, and the SMTP settings I have are still correct. But they have indeed set up a new mail system designed to filter spam (stated in the answer to the FAQ "What is spam..." - not the FAQ I'd normally look for!).
    It says, by the way, that newly created accounts have it enabled by default, and existing customers can enable it at the website.
    Spam still gets downloaded to the inbox, but with 'UTV Internet Spam Detected' as the subject line, and the 'spam' message as an attachment to open if you want it. (Hmm...think I'll just stick to using eyes and a brain - no false positives, just 1 button to hit (delete), and most of us can spot those subject lines a mile off!)

Anyway, I then rang UTV's Tech Help, and the recorded welcoming message says their R.O.I. customers are currently having difficulties with using the internet, and they're having lots of callers so I might have to hold for some time (so I didn't).

So, fellow UTV customers, all you have to do is be patient and try again every so often...!

Advertisement