Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice needed

• 09-04-2008 11:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭

Hi All,
    Not sure if this is the correct forum but would really like some advice if possible.
    My background in in electronics and computing with a recognised ordinary degree (level 7 on national framework) in the latter.
    I have a keen interest in accounts and am considering doing the IPASS payroll tech. course to help gain a foothold in finance.
    My employer is also aware of my interest and might be open to a arranging for me to do a stint in the finance dept.
    I was just wondering if it would be possible for me to integrate my existing qualifications into gaining an honours degree in accountancy or would I have to start from scratch.
    My wife has already completed the IATI 2 yr course along with the IPASS payroll technician course, both of which I found really interesting and I am aware of the associated workload of each.
    I see from the ITT tallaght site that the iati course gains entry into the Ordinary degree in accounting. With a further 2 years to gain the Honours degree.
    I am looking at a possible 6-7 yr plan to gain my ACCA qualification, however as this will be my mid-life career change any advice on possible options would be really appreciated.

Thanks, Freebee23

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Leon11

You may be exempt from the computer based modules in Tallaght though I can't see engineering granting you many other exemptions. The reason for that is because the course in Tallaght gives you exemptions from your professional exams so you need to be at a proficient level before going on to do exams that are more difficult. I say go for it either way, I've a friend in my class who was pulling at least 60k with a supermarket and he jacked it in at 27. He's now in his last couple of months and starts ACA with a mid sized firm in September. He's found it tough at times but he's stuck it out and will get his rewards soon enough.

On a side note would it be possible to do your diploma in Tallaght or with IATI p/t for 2 years and then in your last 2 go full time? The first 2 years in Tallaght are pretty general to be honest, it's really a business course with two accounting modules integrated which means that once you do a bit of reading/study your well equipped to pass the exams whereas when your doing your degree it's the opposite with 4 modules focusing on Accounting and the other two will be made up of HRM/Communications(basically interview prep)/IT/Services Marketing/Strategy.

Any other questions you have I'll do my best to answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭robbie checker

Why bother with an honours degree in finance? Similarly to yourself, I changed careers at 28 and started working in a small practice while at the same time doing the Accounting Techinician exams similar to your partner. These took 2 years as I received no exemptions as I had left school before my leaving. I then started the ACCA and received three exemptions leaving me with 11 exams to do (this was the old syllabus but I think the papers are more or less the same). I completed the finals of ACCA within two years so in total it took me 4 years to get them, although I had two qualifications. You could start either the Accounting Techinician or ACCA as a mature student - I would ask them what exemptions are available. I think I might have completed the ACCA quicker if I had started them first although the Accounting Techinician gave me 3 exemptions and the next year exams were IT, Tax and Law, most of which I had covered in the Accounting Technician exams. The ACCA are tough exams though and if you are doing them part time and not receiving a lot of study leave, you would not do any more than two exams at a time and it would take you 3 and a half years if you got them all first time although most people don't. I wouldn't bother with IPASS if you are serious about it, the Accounting Techinician is a much better qualification as you cover accounts, tax, law and IT. You also complete a Tas software course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭freebee23

Hi folks,
    Thanks for all the advice. I was in touch with IATI and ACCA re their Certified accounting technician course and so at this stage it looks like Accounting Tech. course and progression to ACCA's. I actually started the IPASS payroll tech. course with exams in May and August. This should hopefully assist in my getting a roll in the finance sector and away from engineering along with demonstrating my commitment to a career change.
    Again, thanks for the positive feedback.
    Cheers,
    Freebee23

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭The CCAinsider

I would recommend CAT (Certified Accounting Technician) first, at least you will have a qualification without going through the full ACCA. If you find out you like accounting, CAT will set you up for doing full ACCA and if you get as far as the ACCA finals you will be eligible for a level 8 degree in Accounting and Finance. If you finish the ACCA finals you will have a level 9 qualification. It can be done in 4 years, but not by many people! Aim for 5-6 years, but as I said there are nice milestones along the way. CAT is not easy, it is a very robust bookkeeping qualification.

Advertisement