Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Few Q's re: Vegas, California and Mexico.

• 09-04-2008 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭

I'm in the midst of planning a pretty ambitous holiday, the rough plan at the moment is to fly to either Vegas or California and then travel down through Mexico, Belize and Guatemala maybe, over the course of a couple of months. Basically at the moment the main problem is flights, Ideally I'd like to fly to L.A. and then hit Vegas and make our way down South, but a one way fare is coming to around 600 for mid July. Does anyone have any ideas of other places to fly into in the area? Or suggestions on how to travel from Vegas to the border. Has anyone else done a similar backpacking trip through Mexico? Any highlights/lowlights, recommendations? TY in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

A flight in mid July to LA is 493 euro on Aer Lingus's site now. That's probably the cheapest you will get given the time of year. You could probably get a cheaper flight to Miami, New York or Dallas. But you'd end up spending much more on overland costs. So it would probably be worth it just flying straight to LA if you can afford to.

Also one other problem you should look in to before comitting to your trip is if you will be entering the US on a one way ticket. If you don't have a flight out of the US or outside of North America (Includes Mexico & Canada) within 90 days they won't let you enter the country.

I have friends who'll be traveling with me with that very problem. I hold a green card but they won't get in without onward flights. So we are considering booking a flight to Puerto Rico or something and just not turning up for it. Granted we'll lose our money but it may be the only way. I'm going to go over to the US embassy to find out my options.

The easiest way to get to the border from Vegas would be to either head to San Diego and then cross at Tijuana or head towards Phoenix. Both are about 5-6 hours depending on traffic and how many stops you make. But Phoenix is about 3-4 hours away from the border. You could go and cross at Nogales. So Going from Vegas to San Diego is the better option in my opinion as the border is only 30 mins from downtown SD. I lived there for 4 years and have been all over Central America. Mexico is amazing. Especially the Southern part. And i loved Guatemala. Belize is good but a little more expensive than Mexico and Guatemala. Most of the tourist stuff is Mayan ruins in all 3 countries. But the pace of life and the people are what make it. Look up a lonely planet or footprint book for places to go to. Or check out the thorntree forum.

One tip i'd give is learn Spanish. Even if you can just say a few phrases. It will make your experience a bit easier and better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭max_power

Cool thanks, some really helpful advice. TBH I didn't realise Vegas was that close to the border which is pretty cool in itself. RE the flight thing for America, say If i was flying into LA and then out of Mexico city 60 days later would that be ok? Have a couple of friends who are going to be in Cuba, they'll be heading to Belize so think we'll meet there. Did you take the copper canyon railway? Seems like it'd be worthwhile, taking you from Chihuahua down to the coast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Im organising something similar myself and I have a suggestion for you:D Instead of flying into LAX fly into John Wayne airport in Orange county which isnt very far down the road (and if you fancied you could hang around there on Huntington/Newport beach for a day or two) I had a quick check on expedia for a flight from Shannon to John Wayne and it cost €293 (Dublin to John Wayne is €298) quite a big saving!

I do always forget about getting a connecting flight to smaller airports. I always think of flying direct. But i had a look on both the US and UK expedia sites and Dublin - Orange Co via Atlanta is indeed 293 euro. And it's only an extra 4 hours flying time. So you'll be saving 200 on that.

As for the flight out of LA to Mexico City apparently that will not suffice. I had called up the US embassy months ago and some woman told me that i could get a flight or bus across to Mexico. Or even book a hotel within the 90 days in Mexico. But i've been told by travel agents and also read it on the net that it cannot be Mexico or Canada. Even showing proof that will you be flying out of another country within the 90 days is not proof enough. I've heard 2 conflicting stories so i'm going out to the embassy and will ask for it in writing if my mates can indeed just get a bus across the border. Yeah i done the Copper Canyon railway. I'd recommend it if you are into scenery.

I don't think you can fly from Cuba to Belize. Cancun is close by so you could always meet your mates there if they can't fly in to Belize.

As for the flight out of LA to Mexico City apparently that will not suffice. I had called up the US embassy months ago and some woman told me that i could get a flight or bus across to Mexico. Or even book a hotel within the 90 days in Mexico. But i've been told by travel agents and also read it on the net that it cannot be Mexico or Canada. Even showing proof that will you be flying out of another country within the 90 days is not proof enough. I've heard 2 conflicting stories so i'm going out to the embassy and will ask for it in writing if my mates can indeed just get a bus across the border.

Just wondering if you've heard anything back regarding this, or if anyone else has any experiences with it? Is it possible at all to fly into the states and out of Mexico?

• Advertisement

I haven't been in contact with anyone official but i sent a message to a fella who posts here who was in San Francisco and entered on a one way flight. He said his flight to Mexico was enough proof of onward travel. He also said that he met some girls who entered the US on a one way flight and just walked across the border to Tijuana. Maybe once they see you are on a RTW ticket or have flights down the road at some stage they trust that you will leave the US. It probably all depends on the immigration officer you come against too.

Hmmm, might try get in contact with the US embassy about it. Don't fancy arriving and being told to f off home really. I presume there's no real restrictions on entering Mexico?

No you won't have any problems entering Mexico. Well not from the government. Some airlines might because they have to pay to fly you home if you are denied entry for whatever reason. But on land crossings no body will even stop you depending on the border you cross at. Officially you are supposed to have proof of onward travel but migración will never ask for it. Just make sure you get your FMT card and i think the standard is 180 days now. Allow a bit of time to get this card as it can take a few hours. You don't neccesarily have to pay upon entry but you must pay it before leaving and have it stamped. Don't lose this card as it will cause all sorts of problems.

Advertisement