Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heinz Pork Sausages in Beans

Options
  • 09-04-2008 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

Anyone else get hit by this scam? Aldi had a big section in their shop marked by banners; Heinz Beans only 49c!! - but in the area they infact had Pork Sausages in Beanz (in a similiar can) that sell for €1.35.

The hilarious thing is that the reason I know this is that earlier in the week my girlfriend asked me did I want a can of them that she bought by accident thinking they were normal beans to which I declined. Just got the same offer from my mother for two cans, she got duped as well!

I reckon aldi had these beans with sausages and had to resort to these measures to shift them! The dastards! Anybody else get caught out, can we get them for false advertising?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭board om

Tails142 wrote: »
    Anyone else get hit by this scam? Aldi had a big section in their shop marked by banners; Heinz Beans only 49c!! - but in the area they infact had Pork Sausages in Beanz (in a similiar can) that sell for €1.35.

The hilarious thing is that the reason I know this is that earlier in the week my girlfriend asked me did I want a can of them that she bought by accident thinking they were normal beans to which I declined. Just got the same offer from my mother for two cans, she got duped as well!

I reckon aldi had these beans with sausages and had to resort to these measures to shift them! The dastards! Anybody else get caught out, can we get them for false advertising?

so basically they had an offer of heinz baked beans for 49c and then they also had heinz pork sausages in beans for €1.35 a can? where is the scam? obviously the fact that it says pork sausages in beans on the can would be a bit of a clue that they arent actually heinz baked beans, and the price being €1.35 and not 49c would be another clue. by them being in a similiar can do you mean that both of the cans had 'heinz' on them?

if the can said 'heinz baked beans on it and they charged you 49c, but then when you got home and opened the can it turned out to be pork sausages in it, then you could call it a scam. what you describing isnt a scam, it is a failure to pay attention to detail. thats not aldi's fault that who ever bought the cans didnt look at the label properly. they most likely had the heinz heinz beans for 49c but because they were selling them cheap they sold out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭Trampas

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Isn't there a picture on the can clearly showing the sausages mixed in with the beans?
    How obvious do they have to make it?

Frank & Beans, Frank & Beans !!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Aren't the ones with pork sausages Heinz beans anyway, only with sausages in them?

Anyway, maybe they'd just sold out of the non-sausagy beans.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Sorry , I'm lost !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I think the issue we need clarification on is if the sausage and beans cans were clearly marked and priced as just the normal beans, with a price of 49c... but you only realised they were different when you got home, checked the can (sausages.. wtf??) and the receipt proved it.

Otherwise, they obviously had no beans left, and the other stock was probably beside it anyway, and it's not a case that you've bean had... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Snuggle Bunny

God they sound gross:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Never had, but always wanted to try them... especially when hungover!

Heinz%20-%20Baked%20Beans%20and%20Pork%20Sausge.jpg

Thought they used to have a picture of the sausages on the can? Obviously not a good sight!

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭knighted

the op shudda went to spec savers :)

• Advertisement

i was thinking that alright. they sound absolutely hideous. sausages out of a can? uuuugggghhhh !!!!!!!!

would they not go off very quickly? i know the beans would be usable for years but you could hardly keep sausage meat fresh for that long, could you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I'll take 'em, they're yummy icon14.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

board om wrote: »
    would they not go off very quickly? i know the beans would be usable for years but you could hardly keep sausage meat fresh for that long, could you?

Canned food lasts for years, even meat. Processed meat like sausage, ham, spam, corned beef, etc etc are all easy enough to store.

Beans in a can wouldn't last any longer than meat in a can, as long as the can is properly sealed and stored.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

So you mean basically, aldi had a big banner up saying the heinz beans were 49c a can but they did actually have none for sale there - only the ones with pork sausages which were €1.35 per can?

Was there a price displayed for the heinz beans with pork sausages? If not then I think they are guilty of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Hardly a scam, sharp practice at worst.
    Customer can
    A) Read the can
    B) Read the scanner at the checkout
    C) Read the receipt

Why not just bring them back to the shop, explain and try to change the cans?
    No onus on them to change them but they might.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

sausages out of a can? uuuugggghhhh !!!!!!!!

Why? does it somehow make them better if they are wrapped in clear plastic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

is the issue here that they had beans on sale at 49cent then moved a more expensive but similarly branded item into the same place and sold it without amending any of the signs/price?

are they trying to decieve customers selling dearer items which can easily be mistaken for much cheaper goods?

foggy_lad wrote: »
    are they trying to decieve customers selling dearer items which can easily be mistaken for much cheaper goods?

only if it is a store catering to blind people that cant read the label that specifically says what the can contains. and also could not see that the can was a differnt price.

they have done nothing wrong. the shop had a product advertised and they also had another product there that had a differnt label and was a diffent price. the OP picked up the other product instead. that is hardly aldi's fault that the OP didnt look to see what they were buying.

as i said in my original post, if the can had said heinz beans on it and they had charged 49c for it, but then when you got it home and opened it the contents were actually sausage & beans, that would be a scam. that is not the case, all that has happened is the OP didnt pay attention to what they were buying. hardly a scam.

only if it is a store catering to blind people that cant read the label that specifically says what the can contains. and also could not see that the can was a differnt price.

they have done nothing wrong. the shop had a product advertised and they also had another product there that had a differnt label and was a diffent price. the OP picked up the other product instead. that is hardly aldi's fault that the OP didnt look to see what they were buying.

as i said in my original post, if the can had said heinz beans on it and they had charged 49c for it, but then when you got it home and opened it the contents were actually sausage & beans, that would be a scam. that is not the case, all that has happened is the OP didnt pay attention to what they were buying. hardly a scam.
    But they would have had to display the price of this tin can with pork sausages. If they didnt then they have broken the law iirc.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Why? does it somehow make them better if they are wrapped in clear plastic?

i am not too fond of meat in plastic either if i am being honest. but i would rather they were in plastic than in a can. at least then they have a sell by day of a few weeks (which i am never overly comfortable with anyway) where as with a can the sell by date is a few years.

its all about perosnal choice. i was brought up on meat from a butchers so i couldnt even eat meat from a supermarket until a few years ago. in fact there is still some of it i wont eat.

• Advertisement

its all about perosnal choice. i was brought up on meat from a butchers so i couldnt even eat meat from a supermarket until a few years ago. in fact there is still some of it i wont eat.
    You were better off avoiding the supermarkets for meat. I am starting to try and start using the butcher instead of supermarkets - although I would say the local butcher is not something that is going to survive much longer against the supermarkets.

axer wrote: »
    But they would have had to display the price of this tin can with pork sausages. If they didnt then they have broken the law iirc.

who says they didnt? the point is they are not trying to pass off one product as anohter. they are 2 differnt products clearly marked. you could go into an supermarket any day of the week and it will have a product advertised, and then beside that product it will have other products form that product range. but it doesnt mean they are tying to pretend all the products are the same or that they are all a certain price. it just means that that particular product that is advertised is that particular price.

for example my local shop has a stand with dolmio original sauce avertised for €1.99, and then on the same stand it has a other types of dolmio sauces and pastas. now they are not trying to pass off all these products as dolmio original sauce, nor are they claiming everything on that stand is €1.99. they are just informing the shopper that the dolmio original pasta is that price. if i picked up one of the other types of pasta and got home and realised what i had done, i wouldnt blame the shop for trying to 'scam' me, i would just pay more attention to detail in future.

i think people are too quick to shout 'scam' these days.

axer wrote: »
    You were better off avoiding the supermarkets for meat. I am starting to try and start using the butcher instead of supermarkets - although I would say the local butcher is not something that is going to survive much longer against the supermarkets.

your spot on there. it is amazing how many butchers shops there used to be when you were growing up and now you rarely see them. they have all lost their business to supermarkets.

where i live there used to be about 4 butchers on the street alone, now there is 1. but that shop will stay there as long as it can becuase they have a lot of loyal customers who wil never move over to the supermarkets. but i doubt we will ever see new buthcer shops opening again in our time. it is a dying trade. its a pity becasue they have a much more personal touch, and at least you know where the meat is coming from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

looks to me like it has been misunderstood not by the op but by others responding critically to the op's post!

if they had banners advertising one product which was sold out and put a dearer product in a similar can in the same place then it looks more like a deliberate attempt to get customers to buy a dearer product thinking they are getting the advertised one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

The only scam here is that they expect you to pay 49c for Heinz beans in the first place.

Oh and +1 to whoever likes the sausages...feckin' lovely

looks to me like it has been misunderstood not by the op but by others responding critically to the op's post!

if they had banners advertising one product which was sold out and put a dearer product in a similar can in the same place then it looks more like a deliberate attempt to get customers to buy a dearer product thinking they are getting the advertised one!

thats it, aldi have cunningly come up with a plan to 'scam' the blind and dyslexic people of ireland. what a cunning plan. i can just see the marketing department now sitting around a board room table, Dr. Evil, Count Dracula, and Professor Chaos, all scheming on how to get an extra 90c out of heinz beans lovers. "all we have to do is put up a sign offering a product along side a completly diffent product, and when the cheaper product is sold out the customer wills be 'forced' to purchase the more expensive product". its a full proof plan as long as nobody A) actually reads the label and sees that the product is differnt and B) notices the product actually costs €1.39 and not 49c.

this is not a scam. the other posters have not all misunderstood the OP, they just have the cop on to know a scam when they see one. and this is not a scam. it is quite common for there to be shelf of differnt products from a brand of food and for them to have a special offer on one or more of those producs. it doesnt mean all the products on that shelf are that price, it just means that particular product is that price. as i said in another post, my local shop has a whole display of dolmio sauces and dolmio pastas, and then there is a sign that says "dolmio original sauce €1.99". now i dont see that sign and immediatly think that everything on that display is €1.99, i know that the dolmio original sauce is. i dont know how much the other products are becuase it doesnt say, all i know is that there is a special offer on the dolmio original sauce. its quite simple really, its just common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

supermarket managers don't like empty shelves. if a product is sold out, the gap will be filled with another product until such time as the original product comes back into store. they're making the assumption that their customers have the ability to see the product that they are holding in their hand and that it is not the product which the price refers to.

i know how you like to think that everyone involved in the retail sector is an evil mastermind bent on trying to cheat you out of your hard earned money, possibly while stoking a white cat, but i'm afraid i have to inform you that this is case number 10,029 where foggy_lad has seen maliciousness where there is none.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Pretty much any shop (that I've noticed) has Both products, will stack them very nearby or right beside each other. It's not unusual to locate same brand products beside each other when their contents are quite similar - can you imagine what a nightmare it would be if Knorr Packet Veg soup was the far corner of the shop away from the Knorr Packet Chicken soup?.

Caveat Emptor really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Okay calm down a bit lads - the reason I started this thread was that it wasnt just one person who made this mistake, it was two seperate people in two seperate aldi stores. Who both thought they were buying beans but ended up with 'beans and sausages'. I just thought other people would pipe up and admit they made the mistake too but it doesnt appear that any boards users have been caught out.

THE REAL ISSUE is that this wasnt in the standard bean/canned good aisle, it was in a bargain area - a huge big sign 'beans 49c' and then they have a different but similar product in the shelf at a higher price, which without close scrutiny appear quite similar. (images below) No info on whether a correct SEL label was present.

As it happens my mother brought the two cans she bought back and got a reluctant refund from someone she described as an eastern european with an american accent. My girlfriend is still trying to get me to eat the can she bought.

To anyone who cant sympathise (board om) I hope someday you pick up a product under a sign and then later find out its not that product!!! mwahahahahahha

0252604_m.jpg

beans.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭superweld

i wonder are they nice? :pac:bean :pac:sausage :D

Advertisement