Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser Cards & Cashback

Options
  • 09-04-2008 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭

Just a quick question. If a retailer accepts laser cards for a transaction are they obliged to give cashback if its requested? The reason I ask is I was in a shop this evening and wanted to by a few bits (fags, milk, bread etc - about €12 total) and get cashback for the chippy. I was told that the shop couldn't/wouldn't give me cashback as they had an ATM. Fair enough, I thought (despite the fact that some of these ATMs have ridiculous charges), but the machine wasn't even working at the time and hasn't been on several occasions I've been in there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

AFAIK, the shop is not obliged to offer cashback, it's purely their choice whether to offer it or not. The reason I guess is that a lot of shops might not have much cash in the till, and any 10s/20s they have they'll probably want to keep for change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

No, the shop does not have to give you cashback, by the way, you are mistaken about the atm machine charges. In ireland, you do not get charged any extra unless it is a foreign atm card or a credit card. Then it is the bank that charges you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's at the shop's discretion as to whether they offer cashback or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Also, in any shop, you're better off asking for cashback towards the end of the day, as floats are small and everyone gives 50's and takes all the change..it can take 2 hours on till to build up enough money to give cashback. Unless you want 50's..there's always 50's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

No, the shop does not have to give you cashback, by the way, you are mistaken about the atm machine charges. In ireland, you do not get charged any extra unless it is a foreign atm card or a credit card. Then it is the bank that charges you.
    you do get charged to use those mini atm's in shops as they are operated by private companies afaik, and some charge as much as €10 per transaction depending on how much you withdraw.

the banks own atm's have no extra charges but machines in your local centra/londis are not owned by your bank

and the advantage of cashback is that you can always vote with your feet and only shop in the stores that have given you cashbabk before!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Also, in any shop, you're better off asking for cashback towards the end of the day, as floats are small and everyone gives 50's and takes all the change..it can take 2 hours on till to build up enough money to give cashback. Unless you want 50's..there's always 50's.

It was about 11pm when I was in there... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

foggy_lad wrote: »
    you do get charged to use those mini atm's in shops as they are operated by private companies afaik, and some charge as much as €10 per transaction depending on how much you withdraw.

the banks own atm's have no extra charges but machines in your local centra/londis are not owned by your bank

and the advantage of cashback is that you can always vote with your feet and only shop in the stores that have given you cashbabk before!

€10 per transaction? where did you get that information?

and if those mini atms aren't owned by banks, why are all the ones i've ever seen branded with a bank's logo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

Check with your bank. I use those ATMs all the time and have never been charged. They usually have signs on them saying there is no additional charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

THey probably saw the 10 euro annual ATM stamp duty and thought it was a charge for using an ATM
    [edit] it's 7.50 now innit? [/edit]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭board om

you do not get charged for using those atm machines. and there is definitly no charge of €10 so i dont know where you got that from.

the only time those atm's add a charge is if your credit card or bank charge you. with some of those machines if you are using a credit card a message will apprear saying that you 'may' be subject to a charge by your credit card, but that isnt the atm charging you, it is your credit card company.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Never been charged either.

Got any evidence on that? Seriously, as if some of them do charge, I shan't be using them in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Lol - wasn't that an urban legend & thats why they had to put the signs on all the mini ones that say 'NO ADDITIONAL CHARGES'?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Yes, they are. I had an issue where one of them shut down mid transaction, spat out my card but the cash was still debited from my account. My bank told me to go and talk to Ulster Bank, as they owned the machine.
    €10 per transaction?! Where are you getting that from? Unless you're making credit card withdrawal or something there's no additional charge beyond your normal ATM withdrawal fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

you do get charged to use those mini atm's in shops

Foggy, that's grossly misleading, and you might want to edit your post.

Oh no you dont. You dont know what you are talking about.

P.S I had one of the said ATM machines in my shop !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

There's proper Bank Of Ireland ones in my shop. When they say 'Staff have no access to ATM's' it's kind of misleading..because they do. Ours are maintenanced, and filled with the money by Cash office staff and I'd say others are as well.

Yeah the scare about those ATM's charging extra..it was supposed to be a €2 charge?

There's proper Bank Of Ireland ones in my shop. When they say 'Staff have no access to ATM's' it's kind of misleading..because they do. Ours are maintenanced, and filled with the money by Cash office staff and I'd say others are as well.

Yeah the scare about those ATM's charging extra..it was supposed to be a €2 charge?

it definitly doesnt cost anything. as i said earlier, it is only if your credit card has an additional charge that you will pay extra, and its going to your credit card company then and not the atm.

i think when they first came out years ago they supposedly had a charge on them and nobody liked to use them because of it. but i dont think they really did, i think people just asssumed they did. in fact i think the original machines were owned by one of denis o'brien's companies. im pretty sure they were anyway, i could be wrong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The Ulsterbank ones always say, when you're taking out money, that there is no extra charge for using this machine. Some of the Bank of Ireland ones say "Your bank may apply a charge for using this machine" as do the AIB ones. I think this charge is not applied for any ROI bank (that I know of anyway), possibly just for foreign banks.

Certainly a €10 charge is nothing I've ever heard of. Even using my BOI card in US, UK and other countries has never incurred a charge of more than about 1-2% or €1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

The ones in England charge, never anything like a tenner though! Usually £1 or £1.50. In America it's usually $2 or $3 for ATM cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

yes those easycash machines which are privately operated in shops and garages etc do charge the same as banks now, approx 22cent per transaction.

but i can remember a liveline program on RTE radio where charges of €2.50 per transaction were mentioned but i'm not sure if these were applied by the company or by the shops and garages where the machines were located to cover their expenses in having the machines on their premises?

http://www.rte.ie/business/2004/1217/atm.html

• Advertisement

yes those easycash machines which are privately operated in shops and garages etc do charge the same as banks now, approx 22cent per transaction.

but i can remember a liveline program on RTE radio where charges of €2.50 per transaction were mentioned but i'm not sure if these were applied by the company or by the shops and garages where the machines were located to cover their expenses in having the machines on their premises?

read the link again. there are no extra charges for using those machines.

the shops and garages dont charge customers for using the atm machines. sure it is in their interest to have the atm's in their shops because people can get out money and spend it on items in their shop.

'Banks and ATM providers have rejected a report that consumers are paying additional charges for using ATMs located in shops, petrol stations and cinemas.'

'AIB and Bank of Ireland said their ATM charges were the same in shops and other outlets as they were in the banks. Easycash, which has deployed more than 450 ATMs throughout the country, also said there were no additional charges to customers.'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

So what was your source for the €10 per transaction?
    and that article said IFSRA rejected proposed charges of 1.50 - 2.00.

I get charged the same from these machines as I do from any other ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

yes those easycash machines which are privately operated in shops and garages etc do charge the same as banks now, approx 22cent per transaction

Now you're just making this stuff up!
    They do NOT CHARGE A CENT. You are only charged a fee by ATM's if you are using a FOREIGN atm card in them.

I use an easycash machine in a Spar close to work, maybe a few times a month, and i've NEVER been charged any fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭superweld

i'm pretty sure that every 6 months or so i get fees withdrawn from my account for atm withdrawls, they don't charge when you use it, it's a bulk charge. i've seen it on my statements

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

That's because your bank don't charge you to use ATMs at all. if they did, the charge from the easycash would be there, but the same as your bank normally charges

Igy wrote: »
    That's because your bank don't charge you to use ATMs at all. if they did, the charge from the easycash would be there, but the same as your bank normally charges

Actually, all banks charge for ATM transactions. However the fee was included in the general transactions that were levied on each account as bank charges. Over the last few years, most, if not all of the banks, did away with most of the bank charges so you dont see the charge any more.

I am with AIB and each quarter, they charge me for bank charges but two days before, they credit me with the same amount so I have "free" banking. The actual charge is/was 22c but now its free.

By the way, about two years ago, Easycash, which was a private company, was bought out by Ulster Bank.

One poster mentioned a machine that didnt give out the money and the person had to go to the bank, not the shop for it. This is called a retraction and is most common where someone withdraws the money but does not physically take it. The machine senses this and after 20 seconds or so, it takes it back and puts it internally into a special box. This money is debited from the customer and credited to the shop so it is technically not the shops to give you. Dont think about it, thats just the way it is.

One reason the shops may refer you to the atm instead of giving cashback is because if the machine does not do X amount of transactions a week, then the shop is charged a weekly fee. In the shop I worked in, there were three machines in the immediate vicinity so we didnt have a hope in hell of hitting the target. So the machine was removed.

Our machine was an easycash machine and I used to fill it so this is how I have the information.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Now Foggy, read superscouse's post before replying, please!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

cgarvey wrote: »
    Now Foggy, read superscouse's post before replying, please!

foggy never let's silly things like facts get in the way of his crusade against the evils of the retail sector

Advertisement