Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCNA in 3 weeks?

Options
  • 09-04-2008 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭

Would it be possible to study for and pass the CCNA exam in 3 weeks hard study only using the Sybex study guide book?

as you can see from above iv set myself a bit of a challenge!
    so any advice or Suggestions please, other books or network sim software etc.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

It deppends on how much experience you have with cisco equipment. If you dont have much i would say no chance [snip]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

djfattony2000, please read the charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

Oh yeh,

Not recommending it at all.

Your better off in the long run if you just study properly for it. I failed my CCNA a few times before I copped on and did some real study for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Joe-so

I think with the new CCNA its even harder, IPV6/Wifi/RSTP etc. Get your head down and study.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

TBH, I recertified not so long ago under the new syllabus, and there were very few questions about the newer technologies (just a few basic wi-fi questions, iirc). Oddly, I got a lot of pretty obscure Frame-Relay questions :confused:

To answer the original question - unless you currently work with Cisco equipment on a regular basis, the chances of you being able to pass after 3 weeks of study are fairly low (did you end up trying it?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Could you? Yeah. Would it have much value to you (and your employer)? Nope.
    I did this once when I was trying to land my first Security position by studying the SNRS (Securing Networks with Routers and Switches, CCSP exam) in 5 days and passing it right before the interview. Afterwards I rarely worked with our Routers as it was a managed service sooooo 18 months later when I went to sit the CCIE Written there was a LOT of Router/Switch theory, much more than is stressed in the CCSP and it almost cost me the exam. If those same scenarios had occurred in real life we would have been looking at downtime that could have been avoided if I'd taken my time properly on the SNRS. Yes I had passed, no it wasn't worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Do you have a CCIE? what would you say it took? (I mean time, resources, studying, experience and money if you dont mind me asking.)

skelliser - Its definately doable but as CreeD said it wont be of much value.

How would you feel about studying for 21days, passing the exam and then get thrown into a situation where YOU are EXPECTED to know how to configure a companies network (I know thats basic but just an example), sure you could do it.... but you would have doubts etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

iRock wrote: »
    Do you have a CCIE? what would you say it took? (I mean time, resources, studying, experience and money if you dont mind me asking.)

I've just done the written so far, I'm planning on taking the lab hopefully by November. Its hard to quantify as originally I didn't plan on getting to the CCIE at all. I did the CCNA in Feb 2006 and the CCSP and a bit of Microsoft (MCSE Security track) and wee bit of Linux on the LPIC over the 2 years between that and sitting the CCIE written in March of this year, it definitely wasn't a straigh track. You really need to add up the CCNA and CCSP as part of the CCIE training aso I'd say time dedicated to Cisco security was probably 1.5 years to far, doing about 15-20 hours study a week and spending about 1/3 of my work week on Cisco related security.
    Cost is kinda the same. I've kept book costs down by using Safari Bookshelf Online when possible and work let me borrow a ton of old equipment that was gathering dust for my home lab. At a guess I'd say so far about $2000 on books, CBTs, Lab workbooks (those are a killer) and the Safari subscription, and another $1000 or so on the equipment I had to buy to fill out the home lab (the biggest there being a 3550 switch). I'm going to do a bootcamp right before the lab for last minute revision, another $5k and then the lab itself is just shy of $1500....And thats best case scenario where I pass first time...which going by the stats is not likely :o . Soooo, probably ~$10k when the whole thing is done. It had BETTER be worth being near broke for coming on 3 years by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Having done a lot of exams lately, I just totted up how much I spent on them...

17 Books at about 50€ a go , but I managed to sell most of them, while only loosing about 20€ at the most on each, so thats helped a huge amount. Also my companies I have worked for have paid for all my exams and that was the biggest saving grace ever

The CCIE is a bank breaker thats for sure.. Its really expensive, but its the most respected certification out there.

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    I've just done the written so far, I'm planning on taking the lab hopefully by November. Its hard to quantify as originally I didn't plan on getting to the CCIE at all. I did the CCNA in Feb 2006 and the CCSP and a bit of Microsoft (MCSE Security track) and wee bit of Linux on the LPIC over the 2 years between that and sitting the CCIE written in March of this year, it definitely wasn't a straigh track. You really need to add up the CCNA and CCSP as part of the CCIE training aso I'd say time dedicated to Cisco security was probably 1.5 years to far, doing about 15-20 hours study a week and spending about 1/3 of my work week on Cisco related security.
    Cost is kinda the same. I've kept book costs down by using Safari Bookshelf Online when possible and work let me borrow a ton of old equipment that was gathering dust for my home lab. At a guess I'd say so far about $2000 on books, CBTs, Lab workbooks (those are a killer) and the Safari subscription, and another $1000 or so on the equipment I had to buy to fill out the home lab (the biggest there being a 3550 switch). I'm going to do a bootcamp right before the lab for last minute revision, another $5k and then the lab itself is just shy of $1500....And thats best case scenario where I pass first time...which going by the stats is not likely :o . Soooo, probably ~$10k when the whole thing is done. It had BETTER be worth being near broke for coming on 3 years by then.

WOW.... Im in!

Just want to wrap up MCSE:S and MCSE:M - I started so it'd be a shame not to finish. I've read the Cisco CCENT/CCNA self study books twice cover to cover and I'm fairly comfortable with it at the moment. I don't think I will have problems with the CCNA.

After that I'll study for the CCNP, I think at that point I may start to encounter difficulties but I'll see how it goes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

iRock wrote: »
    WOW.... Im in!

I've read the Cisco CCENT/CCNA self study books twice cover to cover and I'm fairly comfortable with it at the moment. I don't think I will have problems with the CCNA.

After that I'll study for the CCNP, I think at that point I may start to encounter difficulties but I'll see how it goes!

Theory is a good basis forthe CCNA exam but its practical experience that you will need to pass it. The time restraints dont really give you enough time to poke about looking for commands or thinking about "where would I find.....". Practise with routers/switches or with simulators using the Cisco IOS.

I went into the exam and had the theory off by heart but I ran out of time in the exam. Got everything I answered right just didnt answer enough to pass :(

LoLth wrote: »
    Theory is a good basis forthe CCNA exam but its practical experience that you will need to pass it. The time restraints dont really give you enough time to poke about looking for commands or thinking about "where would I find.....". Practise with routers/switches or with simulators using the Cisco IOS.

I went into the exam and had the theory off by heart but I ran out of time in the exam. Got everything I answered right just didnt answer enough to pass :(

I agree with you. I have a cisco lab at home. I also use GNS3 to run some IOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

having just passed my CCNA (98.6%) after 3 weeks of study i can tell you that braindumping wont answer this course for you.

I had predicted a certain amount of braindumpable questions, to which i studied prior to the exam but was hit with a curve ball known as labs, configuring nat etc with real terminals were not what i was expecting and luckily i knew the content well enough to answer the questions.

Im not going to repeat what has been said, if you have loads of experience then 3 weeks is plenty of time to prepare. if you have no experience passing this exam with test questions wont get you a job.

Advertisement