Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did I make a boo boo?

• 10-04-2008 1:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭

I messed this up last night in a league game.

Up against (in my opinion) one of the best teams in Connacht, and our team were strong underdogs, we played very well believe it or not, but still lost 8-1.
    They just always seemed to pip us to the doubles, and they didn't miss. One guy got 140, 140, 140 ..... another had a 13 dart finish, there was 6 or 7 maximums, it was great stuff to play in, and all our lads hit plenty of tons, but we just couldn't live with them.

Anyways my question ...... I was in the first doubles game (first game of the night). I hit 100 and 85 with my throws, my partner hit 45 - 60 ish, our opponents were hitting 85/100 every time.

Anyways, we're on 208 against throw, they are on 92, and my young partner goes in and hits 174, which brings me to 34 left. Our opponents hit 60 to leave themselves 32.
    Given the standard, I know I have to finish it with my throw.

I give it some thought, and think a 6 or a 10 leaves me either D14 or D12, both doubles I think I'll finish with 2 darts. I'm obviously debating with myself whether I should just go straight for for D17.

So, anyways I hit treble 13 and bust:eek: .... gutted, they move in and hit the double first dart.

Ignoring (please do:o) the fact that I missed a big 10 or 6 (the dart slipped honestly).... was my reasoning OK or should I just have tackled the D17?

This is the first time I've been unsure in a good few years of whether I made the wrong checkout decison or not.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

to be honest i would have went for the double 17.. but there again thats easy sitting here saying it, when in the heat of battle i might have taken your option too but doubt it.. but too hit treble 13 going for the wire between 6/10:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Like yourself I was left one time with 10..........my opponent had tops left........3 darts in my hand........i went for single 2 (to leave double 4).......and hit 15.......:rolleyes: never again........after the game one of the older members on me teams says to me "if you have a shot just go for it......sure if ya miss so be it at least you wont look like a TIT":D

Now dont get me wrong if my opponent is left with 171+........then i'll do a single and double........but otherwise nah never again.......ill be going straight for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

This is a dammed if u do and dammed if you don't type problem. At the high level you seem to be playing at I'd have gone for d-17, at lower league levels I'd have squared it to a percentage d-12/d-14. I suffer from the hitting a treble when I need a single bug too. So much so my team mates have nicknamed me buster.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭on the board

yeah you made a boo boo, your thinking of having 2 darts at a double is fair enough, but if you went for the d17 its giving you a possible 3, if you hit the s17 then you hit a single for another shot at a double, so in the end you've still had 2 shots at a double, so just go for d17:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Nole

yeah you made a boo boo, your thinking of having 2 darts at a double is fair enough, but if you went for the d17 its giving you a possible 3, if you hit the s17 then you hit a single for another shot at a double, so in the end you've still had 2 shots at a double, so just go for d17:)

Totally agree with this reasoning.
    If you hit single 17, youve still got another shot at a double (hitting single 1 of course first). 2 darts at a double
    If you hit single 17 on your 2nd throw youve still had 2 shots at a double
    If you hit it on your third go, youve had all 3 at a double

In your shoes i would probably just hit double 17 and take the leg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭califano

You were right to go for the double 17 but i say in making this selection on the 1st dart you must run the risk of hitting single 17 instead of missing by too much outside with a feeler dart. You have to totally commit taking this decision and have no regrets later.
    I say run the risk of hitting single 17 on your opener because if you land the 1st dart over an inch or so on the outside you will be inclined to bottle the other two. If you run the risk of going for the single 17 then if you miss you will be sure to miss just outside the double 17 making your next two shots so much easier and can use the barrel to help you. Thing is you must be able and willing to fully commit to your first dart at the double and not use it as a feeler dart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Hit the double 17.

They are all the same size.

Just out of curiosity, who are the top teams out your way ?

Hit the double 17.

They are all the same size.

Just out of curiosity, who are the top teams out your way ?

Do you mean Dun Laoghaire? here are the league tables........monday league is the strongest.........tuesday is average pub players.......some good players.......some play just to get out of the house on a tuesday night.

http://www.darts.ie/mondaytable.htm
    http://www.darts.ie/tuesdaytable.htm

MBC wrote: »
    Do you mean Dun Laoghaire? here are the league tables........monday league is the strongest.........tuesday is average pub players.......some good players.......some play just to get out of the house on a tuesday night.

http://www.darts.ie/mondaytable.htm
    http://www.darts.ie/tuesdaytable.htm

Thanks for that, but he is based in Mayo.

I have a few friends out that way, and one was throwing on the county team.

That's why I was curious.

Sorry mate:)

• Advertisement

No worries !!

Appreciate the effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Double Top

unlucky with the treble 13 shot but it happens. if i had double 17 left (bit of a wierd way) i would throw for it but if i was a way off i would change and go for 10 or 6. i know its a waste of a dart but if you get thats great but if you miss you still have two darts in hand and you can then go for 10 or 6 and go for the double your better at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 bobflatley

Thanks for that, but he is based in Mayo.

I have a few friends out that way, and one was throwing on the county team.

That's why I was curious.

Reids of Newport are the team to beat in Mayo, 7 in a row Conaught Cup winners. Only one present Co. thrower on the team but all the rest are former County. Sheepwalk of Swinford, Lyons of Roundfort and The Old Oak Hollymount are also very strong. Some strong teams in Castlebar also but not sure who is playing for where up that way at the moment.

Out of interest, who is ur mate?

Terry McNulty

Terry McNulty

Ya I know Terry well, excellent player. U play with him Stateside?

bobflatley wrote: »
    Ya I know Terry well, excellent player. U play with him Stateside?

I never shot on the same team with him, but I would practice with him as often as I could make it up to the The Thatch.

Class dart thrower and a great guy to go long with it.

I am am going to have to roadtrip out to Kilasser one of these days in the very near futute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

I never shot on the same team with him, but I would practice with him as often as I could make it up to the The Thatch.

Class dart thrower and a great guy to go long with it.

I am am going to have to roadtrip out to Kilasser one of these days in the very near futute.

Terry is throwing for the Sheepwalk this year.

Reids of Newport are the team to beat in Mayo, 7 in a row Conaught Cup winners. Only one present Co. thrower on the team but all the rest are former County. Sheepwalk of Swinford, Lyons of Roundfort and The Old Oak Hollymount are also very strong. Some strong teams in Castlebar also but not sure who is playing for where up that way at the moment.

Out of interest, who is ur mate?

Ship Inn, Sligo seriously strong this year.

Culchie wrote: »
    Ship Inn, Sligo seriously strong this year.

I believe so. Hand picked team of Sligo Co. throwers in to knock Reids off their perch. Playing quarter final down there tomorrow night. We got a decent team out of Kilkenny's in Knock, O' Neill, McGann, Griffin, Peel and Doherty, all former (or present) Mayo throwers. Where u playin out of Culchie? I guess Kiltimagh by ur name, in which case I probably know ya. RM, get urself down to Killasser, guareenteed some good games there over a w/end. As u no doubt know Mc is not the only class act down that way.

RM, get urself down to Killasser, guareenteed some good games there over a w/end. As u no doubt know Mc is not the only class act down that way.

I have had the pleasure to throw with many Mayo men back in Chicago.

I'd have plenty of opportunities to embarass myself. lol

• Advertisement

Where u playin out of Culchie? I guess Kiltimagh by ur name, in which case I probably know ya. .

Charlestown (Haydens, new team)

Actually, yerman that owns that pub you play for in Knock..... his brother (andy) is married to my brother in laws' sister in law (if you can follow that) in New York (Queens).

I've met Andy a few times ....serious boxer in his day.

Culchie wrote: »
    Charlestown (Haydens, new team)

Actually, yerman that owns that pub you play for in Knock..... his brother (andy) is married to my brother in laws' sister in law (if you can follow that) in New York (Queens).

I've met Andy a few times ....serious boxer in his day.

It's a little convoluted surely but think I know what ya mean, lol!
    We won last night against Cloon Tia, very tidy outfit. Game went all the way 6-5. Had the sweats as I was in anchor and practicing badly. Nicked a scrappy final game.

Reids vs. The Ship on Sunday. Should be a corker.

Advertisement